F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Drove the i8 + few others at Drive for a Cause
Studio RSR

08-19-2016, 11:22 PM   #1
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Drove the i8 + few others at Drive for a Cause

Went to the event today @ Brooklyn. Not too many people on a Friday afternoon, that's good for me.

The fleet:
X1, X5e, 340i, 650i GC, 750i, i3, i8, Lexus NX, MB S550, MB SL550.
As you might already know, you get to drive the car by yourself. Except the i8, someone will be with you.

I hopped on the S550 when I got there. Huge and heavy car, handles like a boat with all settings to sport. Very smooth and comfy. Interior fit and finish is nice but not my cup of tea (looks old, I'm 30s). I first got confused with all the buttons and settings. Never drove a top of the line luxury model before so I wanted to try it. This confirmed that I'm not a Mercedes or luxury focused guy. I drove it for 5 minutes and I thought it was enough and headed back.

Next I wanted to drive the 750i to compare to the S550 but some lady took it to a 50minutes "test drive". Then I saw the i8 in the fleet so I signed up for it. While I was waiting for the i8 to come back I drove the X5e to kill some minutes. I was born to hate SUVs and the X5e didn't make a difference. I like how it drives more than the S550. Also drove it for 5 minutes and thought it was enough and headed back.

So the i8 still wasn't back yet so I browsed around. The 340i they have is fully loaded with all M performance parts. The MPE definitely worths it's price. It sounds so much better than my 340i though mine doesn't sound bad at all. Also checked out the 650i GC, SL550, i3, X1 and Lexus but I'm not interested in those. There was no line for the X1, i3 and Lexus (Lol).

So the i8 finally came back after an hour test drive by the guy. Apparently he went on the highway (Belt Pkwy) and got stuck in traffic. It was bad. So I got on the i8. The car looks and feels amazing. For a $150k car I thought it should have electric steering adjustment vs manual lever. I took it to the local road that has a little twist and few traffic lights. The car feels nimble and shares some DNA with my 340i in term of feel. Feels right at home. The car sounds great for being a hybrid. The first couple blocks I drove on comfort which I thought the car was very quiet. Once I put it in sport then it sounded like how a sports car should sound like. If choosing between the i8 and 340i MPE, the MPE sounds better.

One of my complaints is the steering is too light. It's like 340i's comfort mode steering on the i8's sport mode. Another one is that it's not easy to get on and off. Lastly the car had a little lag when I floored it. It hesitated for a second before the power comes in. Overall the cars feels good but not as fast as I expected. For $150k I would buy the M3 and keep the change or get the M4 GTS.

Back to the dealership and there's a line still for the 750i (2 more guys in front of me). So I was like forget it, I most likely won't like it anyways. I got back to my car, popped it to Sport+ and I felt the 340i isn't much slower than the i8.

TL;DR So I drove a few cars today at the event including the S550, X5e, i8 and I still like my 340i a lot.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      08-20-2016, 01:13 AM   #2
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Nice. I'm doing the Ultimate Drive event today at 9:30 in Nj so thanks for your review and "this year's line up". I think I'll hop in the Merc after I get out of my scheduled 750. Thanks!
      08-20-2016, 07:06 AM   #3
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I am convinced cars with stupid doors effect people's brains. For some reason it makes everyone leave the door(s) open! Fuel the car... Leave the door open! Take a picture of it parked... Leave the door open! Notice the OP didn't leave any doors open on any other vehicles... For some reason people can't help themselves when a car has dumbass doors. So lame smh.
      08-20-2016, 09:20 AM   #4
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Of course the steering is "light" - the whole damn car is light! Thanks to its high carbon fiber content, that's why it handles and goes the way it does with only a 3-cylinder engine and an electric motor. Steering is reminiscent of the earlier 911 Porsches (all their weight was in the rear). I do think it's overpriced by about 25%, but once the cost of the manufacturing process and all the electronics levels out, it may well be the sports car of the future.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 11:44 PM   #5
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Of course the steering is "light" - the whole damn car is light! Thanks to its high carbon fiber content, that's why it handles and goes the way it does with only a 3-cylinder engine and an electric motor. Steering is reminiscent of the earlier 911 Porsches (all their weight was in the rear). I do think it's overpriced by about 25%, but once the cost of the manufacturing process and all the electronics levels out, it may well be the sports car of the future.
The guy rode with me on the i8 mentioned that they will improve the steering weight like 340i-ish on next "refresh".

By light I mean it's 340i comfort mode light.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 12:19 AM   #6
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I am convinced cars with stupid doors effect people's brains. For some reason it makes everyone leave the door(s) open! Fuel the car... Leave the door open! Take a picture of it parked... Leave the door open! Notice the OP didn't leave any doors open on any other vehicles... For some reason people can't help themselves when a car has dumbass doors. So lame smh.
Somehow it does.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 12:25 PM   #7
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

I drove the S550, 340i, and 650i GC at the DFAC event in June. Same conclusion as you about the S class, completely determined I'm not a Mercedes guy.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 08:09 PM   #8
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandog View Post
Went to the event today @ Brooklyn. Not too many people on a Friday afternoon, that's good for me.

The fleet:
X1, X5e, 340i, 650i GC, 750i, i3, i8, Lexus NX, MB S550, MB SL550.
As you might already know, you get to drive the car by yourself. Except the i8, someone will be with you.

I hopped on the S550 when I got there. Huge and heavy car, handles like a boat with all settings to sport. Very smooth and comfy. Interior fit and finish is nice but not my cup of tea (looks old, I'm 30s). I first got confused with all the buttons and settings. Never drove a top of the line luxury model before so I wanted to try it. This confirmed that I'm not a Mercedes or luxury focused guy. I drove it for 5 minutes and I thought it was enough and headed back.

Next I wanted to drive the 750i to compare to the S550 but some lady took it to a 50minutes "test drive".

Back to the dealership and there's a line still for the 750i (2 more guys in front of me). So I was like forget it, I most likely won't like it anyways. I got back to my car, popped it to Sport+ and I felt the 340i isn't much slower than the i8.

TL;DR So I drove a few cars today at the event including the S550, X5e, i8 and I still like my 340i a lot.
You should have driven the 750i. You'd have been impressed. It's a much better driver than the Merc.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

08-21-2016, 08:20 PM   #9
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
You should have driven the 750i. You'd have been impressed. It's a much better driver than the Merc.
guess I will do it next time.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 06:56 AM   #10
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
You are not kidding! I got out of the S and into the 750i, and it was like night and day, now I see why people say the 750i drives "smaller" than it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandog View Post
guess I will do it next time.
There's always next year. The 750 was the all-star for me in my drive.

Did you drive the i3? I was impressed with how quick it was 0-30, but not so impressed with the cornering. I liked the interior's weird mid-century modern vibe. The i8 was okay, but not as blown away as I thought I'd be.
      08-22-2016, 08:27 AM   #11
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
You are not kidding! I got out of the S and into the 750i, and it was like night and day, now I see why people say the 750i drives "smaller" than it is.

There's always next year. The 750 was the all-star for me in my drive.

Did you drive the i3? I was impressed with how quick it was 0-30, but not so impressed with the cornering. I liked the interior's weird mid-century modern vibe. The i8 was okay, but not as blown away as I thought I'd be.
thanks. that raised my expectation for the 750 a bit. definitely going to drive it next time. i didn't drive the i3, not a fan of its look.

the S550 reminded me of the Ford Crown Vic in terms of driving.

Last edited by hollandog; 08-22-2016 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      08-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #12
AMDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428iX Gran Coupe

Quote:
I am convinced that cars with cool features effect (sic) people's brains. For some reason it makes everyone affected take leave of their senses and bitch about the most innocuous of things. Fuel the car and leave the door open... they bitch about that. Take a picture of it parked and leave the door open... they bitch about that. Notice that if you don't leave the door open on other cars with mundane features they don't bitch about that. For some reason people can't help themselves bitching when someone posts about a car with cool features. So lame smh. #thoughtpolice
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #13
Don N.
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Looks like it was fun. The new S classes are amazing, imo. Every time I get one in the shop to do some vinyl work, I am always amazed at how easy it is to drive that car around tight spots.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #14
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDG
Quote:
I am convinced that cars with cool features effect (sic) people's brains. For some reason it makes everyone affected take leave of their senses and bitch about the most innocuous of things. Fuel the car and leave the door open... they bitch about that. Take a picture of it parked and leave the door open... they bitch about that. Notice that if you don't leave the door open on other cars with mundane features they don't bitch about that. For some reason people can't help themselves bitching when someone posts about a car with cool features. So lame smh. #thoughtpolice
We seem to disagree that irregularly-opening doors are a "cool feature." Other than that there is little daylight between us. Thanks for sharing.