F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bird S***
Extreme Powerhouse

08-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #1
ukblade
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435d xdrive

Bird S***

I stupidly parked under a tree that I could hear and see was full of Starlings.
Yes, I know but even I can't think why I chose not to move but whats done is done.
Came back to car next day and front near side of bonnet and bumper was plastered in s***, soaked it and washed it off when I got home that evening and it looked fine.
Washed and polished car today and the S*** I can only assume in those few hours has "burnt" the lacquer and as much as I try I cannot get it out.
I've tried taking a photo to show you but all you can see is the reflection of the sky but when standing next to car there must be 25+ stains(?)
Help me please, what can I do, who do I go to, is there a way out of this.
Cars Black Sapphire Metallic.
Thanks in advance for any advice, Mark.
      08-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Some decent compound and either a lot of elbow grease or a machine polisher will get it out.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car...compound-450ml

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car...t-car-polisher
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #3
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Some decent compound and either a lot of elbow grease or a machine polisher will get it out.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car...compound-450ml

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car...t-car-polisher
No no no, don't do that, you'll leave scratches and swirls especially with Black Sapphire.
Take it to a good Bodyshop or detailed and they can heat up the area and that sort of resets the laquer. Once cooled, it will just need a quick top polish and job done.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 11:11 AM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
No no no, don't do that, you'll leave scratches and swirls especially with Black Sapphire.
Take it to a good Bodyshop or detailed and they can heat up the area and that sort of resets the laquer. Once cooled, it will just need a quick top polish and job done.
What are you on about? Compound leaves a mirror finish, I've done it many times including on my black sapphire! Why on earth you would pay someone to do something that is so simple to do yourself is beyond me!
Appreciate 1
P1 PET396.00
      08-14-2016, 11:19 AM   #5
P1 PET
Major
Rep
Drives: BOX ON WHEELS

Quote:
What are you on about? Compound leaves a mirror finish, I've done it many times including on my black sapphire! Why on earth you would pay someone to do something that is so simple to do yourself is beyond me!
I find Ultimate Compound to be an excellent product.

Found a lot of swirls on doors after taking the car to a local cheap hand car wash a few weeks ago, but the combination of Meguiars UC and cordless polisher restored Black Sapphire paint to the factory condition.

Very easy job to do and it is enjoyable.
Appreciate 2
teaston10995.50
      08-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 PET
Quote:
I find Ultimate Compound to be an excellent product.

Found a lot of swirls on doors after taking the car to a local cheap hand car wash a few weeks ago, but the combination of Meguiars UC and cordless polisher restored Black Sapphire paint to the factory condition.

Very easy job to do and it is enjoyable.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2016, 12:27 PM   #7
ukblade
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok thanks, I'll give it a go.
Just a couple of questions though.

Is this compound like T-Cut?
If I go careful with the electric polisher, is there any chance I can cut right through paintwork or is the compound not abrasive enough for that.

I assume I'll have to put a coat of wax on afterwards, should I buy extra pads for the polisher and use that as I've only ever polished a car by hand.
Thanks again.

P.S. For £50 ish I'm happy to give it a go, never know I might find it therapeutic like a few of you do but if I'm not too sure I'll go the detailer route.
      08-14-2016, 12:51 PM   #8
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
It will machine polish out.

I have not idea what the other guy above is on about. You machine polish to remove marks, it doesn't add any (well, not unless you're a conplete donkey with a DA!)

Where are you based? Want me to do it for you?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 01:18 PM   #9
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Had simillar on my BSM F30 after going on hols to find two large lumps of shite on my car.

Left a burn mark on the roof. Someone on here suggested Meguairs Scratch X. Did the job
Found it helped to put a yellow crayon Mark # around the damaged area as it was very easy to loose aim and end up working on the wrong area.
      08-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #10
ukblade
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
It will machine polish out.

I have not idea what the other guy above is on about. You machine polish to remove marks, it doesn't add any (well, not unless you're a conplete donkey with a DA!)

Where are you based? Want me to do it for you?
Thanks for offer Russbmw but I'm always up for trying myself, especially as it sounds quite easy to get a decent result.
      08-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #11
NorthEastX5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 3.0d M-Sport / 435i F36

Bird shit is evil. A seagull crapped on the bonnet of my metallic black cayenne when I still owned it. Was literally on bonnet for no more than 1 hr I know that because I was in short stay parking and wiped it off with some cloths and water I had in boot.

That time was enough for it to permanently burn into lacquer

I called on services of detailer I use and he sorted it. Took a couple of hours and some hard work with a few compounds and a DA.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #12
planemad
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 Audi SQ7 & 2019 AM DB11
Location: The Democratic Peoples Republic Of South East England

You only need to heat the area and the etching will absorb itself. Check out you tube for a how too.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2016, 02:43 PM   #13
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

If there is a suitable amount of protection on the car it may just be etched into the wax. I'm always amazed by the amount of imperfections I can remove from my well waxed car by claying alone.

If you go down the DA route I would steer clear of the cheap Halfords one suggested. My dad had this to use on his boat... Fine for buffing up gel-coat but I'd prefer something better on a car. That 'fluffy' pad will cut quite hard. I use a similar microfibre pad to polish very hard glass!

I polished my car and my wife's with a DoDo Juice Buff Dady Pro using their lowest cut Supernatural Finishing Pad with their lowest cut compound Supernatural Micro Prime. Flawless results with little risk of paint damage.
      08-14-2016, 03:33 PM   #14
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemad View Post
You only need to heat the area and the etching will absorb itself. Check out you tube for a how too.
Thank you

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 03:59 PM   #15
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemad View Post
That's if it is etched into the lacquer. As said above it could just be etched into the current wax/sealant, in which case you'd want to remove the coatings before doing the heating method anyway!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 04:05 PM   #16
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
Agree, I tried to cut out a mark left by bird muck and it wouldn't completely come out. I had to let the sun harden the paint again before attempting to remove the mark it left so going straight in with a polisher is not a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 04:18 PM   #17
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k44ENT View Post
Agree, I tried to cut out a mark left by bird muck and it wouldn't completely come out. I had to let the sun harden the paint again before attempting to remove the mark it left so going straight in with a polisher is not a good idea.
Sun harden the paint?! Why would the paint be soft?? Even if it was how would heat harden it? Have you been smoking crack?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 04:28 PM   #18
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Sun harden the paint?! Why would the paint be soft?? Even if it was how would heat harden it? Have you been smoking crack?

Sounds strange but have to agree.

When mine got done attacked it a few days after and the stain came out . Not sure if it's sun hardening the paint or oxidising etc the stain allowing easier removal
      08-14-2016, 04:29 PM   #19
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

Quote:
The bird muck had made the paint / clear coat soft, it would mark very easily and therefore not polish out. The heat from the sun seemed to make the paint hard again and I was able to polish it out. No crack smoked here but I'd check what's in your pipe if I was you. Been spraying classic cars to concurs standard for years so i have a little experience with paint. I'm not totally up to date on modern car paint but the heat or time did something that allowed me to get the finish back.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 04:32 PM   #20
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k44ENT View Post
The bird muck had made the paint / clear coat soft, it would mark very easily and therefore not polish out. The heat from the sun seemed to make the paint hard again and I was able to polish it out. No crack smoked here but I'd check what's in your pipe if I was you. Been spraying classic cars to concurs standard for years so i have a little experience with paint. I'm not totally up to date on modern car paint but the heat or time did something that allowed me to get the finish back.
Very bizarre, I've never experienced anything like this in years of machine polishing cars! In my experience anything that won't wash off or clay off, will machine polish off, very simply and easily!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 01:42 AM   #21
Ashway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Vogue Westminster

The beauty of Gtechniq ceramic coats and the like is that even with corrosive seagull crap it simply washes off without any etching of the paint surface. Well worth the investment in my opinion
Appreciate 1
Gixerste194.00
      08-15-2016, 02:12 AM   #22
Gixerste
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 430D m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashway View Post
The beauty of Gtechniq ceramic coats and the like is that even with corrosive seagull crap it simply washes off without any etching of the paint surface. Well worth the investment in my opinion
+1 it's great the way bird crap just comes off and no marks left
Appreciate 0