THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Auto On Headlights/LED turn signals error

08-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #1
pup73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Auto On Headlights/LED turn signals error

Hi everyone,

I have an ///M2, but I figure I'd post here, as the sample size will be much larger...

I installed a set of LED turn signal bulbs. They function fine (no flickering), and look great. However, I have noticed an unusual interaction with my headlights.

I keep my headlights in the "A" position (AUTO ON, dial all the way to the left). In the morning, I have noticed that sometimes (although not consistently), the headlights stay on. I park my car in my garage, so when I first start up and drive out, my lights are on. But they sometimes don't turn off (again, NOT consistently), even in broad daylight. And when this does happen (lights fail to turn off), after several minutes of driving, a warning message appears via iDrive. I will paraphrase the message..."Warning, Lighting Malfunction, Drive with Care". All the lights continue to function normally, and when I switch to the "OFF" position, wait for a minute or two, then switch BACK to "AUTO", the headlights do indeed stay off in the daylight.

I highly doubt its a dirty sensor (rear view mirror), or even a malfunctioning sensor. I assume it has something to do with the aftermarket LEDs. But from what I've read, most issues with LED's are more obvious (like flickering).

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this...

Thanks for any info

-c
2005 Honda S2000-mostly stock
1994 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo-barely stock
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup73 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have an ///M2, but I figure I'd post here, as the sample size will be much larger...

I installed a set of LED turn signal bulbs. They function fine (no flickering), and look great. However, I have noticed an unusual interaction with my headlights.

I keep my headlights in the "A" position (AUTO ON, dial all the way to the left). In the morning, I have noticed that sometimes (although not consistently), the headlights stay on. I park my car in my garage, so when I first start up and drive out, my lights are on. But they sometimes don't turn off (again, NOT consistently), even in broad daylight. And when this does happen (lights fail to turn off), after several minutes of driving, a warning message appears via iDrive. I will paraphrase the message..."Warning, Lighting Malfunction, Drive with Care". All the lights continue to function normally, and when I switch to the "OFF" position, wait for a minute or two, then switch BACK to "AUTO", the headlights do indeed stay off in the daylight.

I highly doubt its a dirty sensor (rear view mirror), or even a malfunctioning sensor. I assume it has something to do with the aftermarket LEDs. But from what I've read, most issues with LED's are more obvious (like flickering).

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this...

Thanks for any info

-c
I keep the light switch in Auto as well. My lights come on in the dark garage just like yours. I have LEDs installed but I've never had the problem of the lights not going off after driving out of the garage.
The error message might be caused by the LEDs not drawing the correct current, the car may think that a bulb is defective. I've never seen this error message. I was very careful to buy LEDs that draw the correct current. What type of LEDs do you have installed?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #3
pup73
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I keep the light switch in Auto as well. My lights come on in the dark garage just like yours. I have LEDs installed but I've never had the problem of the lights not going off after driving out of the garage.
The error message might be caused by the LEDs not drawing the correct current, the car may think that a bulb is defective. I've never seen this error message. I was very careful to buy LEDs that draw the correct current. What type of LEDs do you have installed?
Good info; I bought these LED's off the suggestion of another board member; he says he hasn't had any issues...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2Pcs...599737708.html

I may just get another set by another manufacturer, as they are rather inexpensive, just to see what happens.

-c
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #4
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Good info; I bought these LED's off the suggestion of another board member; he says he hasn't had any issues...

I may just get another set by another manufacturer, as they are rather inexpensive, just to see what happens.

-c
If others haven't had any problems with these lights, there could be something wrong with the car. Have you reinstalled the old bulbs to do a comparison?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 06:04 PM   #5
pup73
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider
Quote:

-c
If others haven't had any problems with these lights, there could be something wrong with the car. Have you reinstalled the old bulbs to do a comparison?
I haven't yet; yes that should answer question. I'll try this weekend...

-c
Appreciate 0