THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Questions about a new buy

08-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
TheoryOfRevolution
Rep
Drives: M235i

Questions about a new buy

Hi everyone. I'm currently looking into getting a 2014 m235i with less than 10k miles on it, but had some questions that I'm hoping some of you guys can help with. While I love a manual, the one I'm currently eyeballing is the 8 speed auto.

That leads me to my first question: How tunable is the auto vs manual? In a lot of the other cars I'm looking in to, one tends to hold power quite a bit better than the others. My goals for this car is to get 375-400 whp safely.

Another thing with this car is that, as I said before, it has less than 10k miles, but has/had a few aftermarket parts on it. This includes an after market intercooler (still on the car), a downpipe, CAI, and Burger tuning module. These parts will come with the car if I purchase it (only intercooler currently installed). This is what makes me nervous. I'm reading good and bad about Burger and it makes me think something may have gone wrong. The price of the car seems very low for the amount of miles and the condition it APPEARS to be in... The place I'm buying from claims it will retain the factory warranty from BMW, is there any way to verify this? Is there anything specific I should look at or be aware of on the 2014's?

I took the car on a test drive, but there's only so much you can get out of 10-20 minutes in the car. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Not into tuning so have no advice,
I'm curious who is selling the car?
Also if your intuition is sending out a warning...maybe you should heed it's warning.
I also want to add, you say get to 375-400 hp safely - well my novice intuition says that, even if you get to 375 easily it's enough power to snap a thing or two.
Also, forgetting 1/4 mile runs, the 235 is a fast car, on backroads it's cornering is crazy, but even on highways it gets to 150 quick and probably the only way to really get major cornering speed is through wheel tire upgrade.
Like I said I'm not a tuner, but I have a bit of racing background and the 235 is very fast.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 05:28 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Auto and manual tuning wise will be the same

BMS JB and JB4 are the most popular and proven tune for this car, not sure why you would be worried if a car uses BMS products

i would not get a tuned car because i want to pick my own mods and i also try to get a car that was not pushed to the limit by someone before me

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 10:51 PM   #4
TheoryOfRevolution
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Auto and manual tuning wise will be the same

BMS JB and JB4 are the most popular and proven tune for this car, not sure why you would be worried if a car uses BMS products

i would not get a tuned car because i want to pick my own mods and i also try to get a car that was not pushed to the limit by someone before me
Glad to hear both transmissions can take power well.

I was worried about BMS because I've read a few negative things about them and in my own personal experiences, I typically prefer to take my car in for a custom tune rather than grabbing some OTS tune or piggyback system that guesses what's best for the car.

Honestly, I wouldn't normally even consider buying a used car with turbo at all, let alone one that's been tuned, but this one appears to be in great shape and the parts that are coming with it would likely be what I would choose to put on the car myself (Evolution Works FMIC (w/chargepipe), AFE Intake, Wagner Tuning DP).
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 11:48 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoryOfRevolution View Post
Glad to hear both transmissions can take power well.

I was worried about BMS because I've read a few negative things about them and in my own personal experiences, I typically prefer to take my car in for a custom tune rather than grabbing some OTS tune or piggyback system that guesses what's best for the car.

Honestly, I wouldn't normally even consider buying a used car with turbo at all, let alone one that's been tuned, but this one appears to be in great shape and the parts that are coming with it would likely be what I would choose to put on the car myself (Evolution Works FMIC (w/chargepipe), AFE Intake, Wagner Tuning DP).
Please don't take it the wrong way, but a Jb4 is not your standard piggy that guesses whats best for the car.

It has access to boost, fuel, afr, RPM, boost by gear, boost by RPM, datalogging, ignition timing, on the map map changing, gauge hijack,etc... In a lot of way it has more control than a flash.

You also dont have to use an OTS map, you can use custom map 6 and pick the boost you would like to target each 500 RPM

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 01:16 AM   #6
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

If the owner was willing to invest in non power mods like the er fmic and cp, I take it that he or she loved the car and took care of it.

Ask if you can push it really hard on the test drive, if it checks out well, I'd buy it.
      08-10-2016, 08:04 AM   #7
TheoryOfRevolution
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocN55 View Post
If the owner was willing to invest in non power mods like the er fmic and cp, I take it that he or she loved the car and took care of it.

Ask if you can push it really hard on the test drive, if it checks out well, I'd buy it.
I actually did this and one of the guys that works there who previously owned one took me on a ride in it as well. Car stuck to the road through twisties and screamed through the gears pretty well. I just can't get over it being so cheap for such low miles without there being an issue. haha
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 08:17 AM   #8
TheoryOfRevolution
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Please don't take it the wrong way, but a Jb4 is not your standard piggy that guesses whats best for the car.

It has access to boost, fuel, afr, RPM, boost by gear, boost by RPM, datalogging, ignition timing, on the map map changing, gauge hijack,etc... In a lot of way it has more control than a flash.

You also dont have to use an OTS map, you can use custom map 6 and pick the boost you would like to target each 500 RPM
I don't have any reason to take it the wrong way. I'll admit I don't know much about BMW tuning. More familiar with COBB AP and Protunes. Thanks for the helpful information, I really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 11:19 AM   #9
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

You take a gamble any time you buy a used vehicle especially a sports car. I purchased mine used as well and figured the money saved off sticker and initial depreciation was worth the gamble. IMO the N55 seems to be rock solid. The car is very impressive. My thoughts are that he probably didnt want to take the extra time to remove the charge pipe and intercooler as it is much more extensive. As stated above if he purchased ER FMIC and CP, he purchased quality components and did not half ass it. If he were to have installed an ebay FMIC then maybe you should wonder. The JB4 is easy to remove and doesnt particularly require tools. Did he do the work himself or did a shop do the installs..? If so ask for receipts and you could even call the shop. Did you check the classifieds on here..? May be a forum member...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 12:11 PM   #10
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

buy it, get a ECU tune. youll be right around 400whp with no piggyback.

Does it have a downpipe? If not, add one.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 01:26 PM   #11
TheoryOfRevolution
Rep

Thanks for all the helpful responses guys. Definitely made me a bit more confident in choosing to grab a used vehicle. I think the guy had a shop install. Supposedly he upgraded to an M3 or 4 and this wasn't his only car (hence the low miles). It does have a downpipe, but it is not currently installed. It's a Wagner Catted DP.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #12
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

I have the same DP...

no CEL, no smell, great gains.
Put it on, and get to a track day asap.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #13
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoryOfRevolution View Post
Thanks for all the helpful responses guys. Definitely made me a bit more confident in choosing to grab a used vehicle. I think the guy had a shop install. Supposedly he upgraded to an M3 or 4 and this wasn't his only car (hence the low miles). It does have a downpipe, but it is not currently installed. It's a Wagner Catted DP.

Yeah this person definitely has some expensive taste in mods. I'd say go for the car.

Last edited by ocN55; 08-10-2016 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 02:32 PM   #14
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocN55
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
buy it, get a ECU tune. youll be right around 400whp with no piggyback.

Does it have a downpipe? If not, add one.
Yeah this person definitely has some expensive taste in mods. I'd say go for the car.
+1
Appreciate 0