BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > M2 tire/rims protection $1295

08-06-2016, 01:55 PM   #1
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m

M2 tire/rims protection $1295

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of purchasing the tire and rim protection for my M2 for $1295.
4year/120,000km term.

It covers everything for free and continues if I put new tires on as well. Its also transferable if I sell the car. I figure with these M2 rims and crazy super sport tires,it's a no brainer.

Thoughts?

Greg
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Does it cover curb rash? I doubt you will ever damage the wheel to an inoperable degree (they're forged, right?), but cosmetics are another thing. Replacement tires aren't super expensive but if you have an unrepairable flat once a year well that's... something. I'm never a fan of these wheel/tire insurance options because they seem like a waste of money for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 02:07 PM   #3
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer
Does it cover curb rash? I doubt you will ever damage the wheel to an inoperable degree (they're forged, right?), but cosmetics are another thing. Replacement tires aren't super expensive but if you have an unrepairable flat once a year well that's... something. I'm never a fan of these wheel/tire insurance options because they seem like a waste of money for me.
It does cover curb rash.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 02:17 PM   #4
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer
Also,in Canada we pay much more for these tire's.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #5
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk09 View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of purchasing the tire and rim protection for my M2 for $1295.
4year/120,000km term.

It covers everything for free and continues if I put new tires on as well. Its also transferable if I sell the car. I figure with these M2 rims and crazy super sport tires,it's a no brainer.

Thoughts?

Greg
When you say it covers new tires as well, I'm assuming that only applies to the OEM BMW spec'd PSS tires?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #6
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI
Quote:
Hey everyone,

4year/120,000km term.

Thoughts?

Greg
When you say it covers new tires as well, I'm assuming that only applies to the OEM BMW spec'd PSS tires?
That's correct
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
bimaholic
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi

I was just quoted $2151 for 5 years in the US which I declined. Interesting pricing difference between Canada in the US especially since my dealer is less than 50 miles from Canada
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 04:40 PM   #8
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimaholic
I was just quoted $2151 for 5 years in the US which I declined. Interesting pricing difference between Canada in the US especially since my dealer is less than 50 miles from Canada
All these protection plan prices are at the discretion of the business manager.I was able to negotiate that price.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #9
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey everyone,

4year/120,000km term.

Thoughts?

Greg
I'm just curious, would you not go with the exact pss tire's anyways?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 05:20 PM   #10
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Maybe you want to go a bit wider, so even if you stick with PSS but in a different width, you'd want to make sure you're covered?

Are you planning on driving it in the winter? How does that work for winter tires, if it does? I'd assume this only covers the official BMW winter tire packages?

BTW, I think you negotiated a pretty good price...the standard quote I got from my business manager was I think $1500 or $1600?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 05:25 PM   #11
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe you want to go a bit wider, so even if you stick with PSS but in a different width, you'd want to make sure you're covered?

Are you planning on driving it in the winter? How does that work for winter tires, if it does? I'd assume this only covers the official BMW winter tire packages?
I agree with you. I have no intention on going wider.I think the proportions are perfect,just like my 1M.

And yes if you buy BMW winters they cover those as with the stocks.

My worry is one flat with rims getting roasted would cost about 1700 for 1 tire and 1 rim minimum. But... I'm still torn bc I've never had a flat tire or damaged rim on my cars.I had curb rash once but that only cost 175 to fix.
Appreciate 2
      08-06-2016, 05:29 PM   #12
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

BTW, I think you negotiated a pretty good price...the standard quote I got from my business manager was I think $1500 or $1600?
Sorry I missed the last comment.

Yes,I got a great price.Originally the best they could do was $1495.

Would you get it for yours at $1295?

Any idea when you pick up your car yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 05:43 PM   #13
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

I wouldn't bother. The chances of damaging a rim that needs replacing on its own is f all. It'd usually be due to an accident.
If you had an accident and damaged wheels it'd be covered by your normal car insurance.

I'd put the money towards an MPE.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 05:44 PM   #14
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175
I wouldn't bother. The chances of damaging a rim that needs replacing on its own is f all. It'd usually be due to an accident.
If you had an accident and damaged wheels it'd be covered by your normal car insurance.

I'd put the money towards an MPE.
True true! Or even say it for a brand new set of tire's down the road.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 05:56 PM   #15
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Its a good price, but I probably wouldn't get it....likely buying some exterior carbon bits instead

And no, my car is still held hostage. Dealer is still waiting for replacement differential parts...sales manager showed me an email today from the Ontario BMW rep stating that they're expecting parts to show up next week.

If that's the case then I'll pickup my car next Friday when I get back from vacation...but not exactly holding my breath at this point
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #16
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Its a good price, but I probably wouldn't get it....likely buying some exterior carbon bits instead

And no, my car is still held hostage. Dealer is still waiting for replacement differential parts...sales manager showed me an email today from the Ontario BMW rep stating that they're expecting parts to show up next week.

If that's the case then I'll pickup my car next Friday when I get back from vacation...but not exactly holding my breath at this point
I'm wishing you guys all the best.

I'm in the final negotiation stages of a used M2 right now.Im capping my premium at $1500 for a used one. Should be finalized by Tuesday.It was one of original 16's released via ED. The owner of this vehicle owns his own dealership and is an older gentleman who happens to own the new M3,Tesla and a lotus so the car is babied. It's the price I have to pay considering I decided only 7 weeks ago that I wanted a M2 lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 06:23 PM   #17
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk09
Quote:
Quote:

I'm in the final negotiation stages of a used M2 right now.Im capping my premium at $1500 for a used one. Should be finalized by Tuesday.It was one of original 16's released via ED. The owner of this vehicle owns his own dealership and is an older gentleman who happens to own the new M3,Tesla and a lotus so the car is babied. It's the price I have to pay considering I decided only 7 weeks ago that I wanted a M2 lol.
Cool! I know the dealership owner you're talking about...deals in lots of off-lease Minis and BMWs, correct? I saw that he was selling his car...I think that would be a good one...you'll know he's taken care of it.

Good luck with your negotiations!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #18
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk09
Quote:
Quote:

Cool! I know the dealership owner you're talking about...deals in lots of off-lease Minis and BMWs, correct? I saw that he was selling his car...I think that would be a good one...you'll know he's taken care of it.

Good luck with your negotiations!
Yup,he's such a great guy and pleasure to talk with.

Thanks man!

Lol if it goes through I will be posting it I just don't want to make a emotional decision associated with this M2 right now.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 07:38 PM   #19
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

I would pass, spend the money on something else. I got this on my last car and regret getting it. Had one flat during the time of owning the car and they swapped the tire but i still have to pay $60. And if you damage a wheel, to me this means instead of fixing it, go buy a new set of after market wheels
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 07:39 PM   #20
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r
I would pass, spend the money on something else. I got this on my last car and regret getting it. Had one flat during the time of owning the car and they swapped the tire but i still have to pay $60. And if you damage a wheel, to me this means instead of fixing it, go buy a new set of after market wheels
After all this feedback,I'm changing my mind.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2016, 07:53 PM   #21
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
After all this feedback,I'm changing my mind.
Good call
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #22
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

The one and only time I ended up buying the insurance was the the 4 year span when I used almost every aspect of it. I was very lucky. I think Audi Car care was $1200 but that included PDR which I used once for two dents. Thats $100 right there. The coverage was excellent as it covered stock rims as well as winter setup so when my winter wheel suffered damage from an enormous pothole covered in water they replaced the rim and tire. $700 there. then it also covered curb rash so they re-did two oem Audi rims. $400 there. I lost my key fob in disney world which it also covered. $350 there. What made me purchase it though is it covered so many things and they discounted it. On my wife's GLK SUV they just offered tire and rim coverage on the 20 inch AMG wheels. They started at $1200 and I negotiated down to $499. For that price I took it. For $1200 at a well negotiated price for the M2 I will pass.
Appreciate 0