E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Valve cover/downpipe swap now codes

08-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
fordbaxter
N54 Whisperer
United_States
Rep
Drives: RB Turbo E92 335i

Valve cover/downpipe swap now codes

Hey guys,

I installed some VRSF downpipes but wasn't happy with the sound or smell and my car was doing the normal few puffs of white smoke when stopping so I decided to switch back to stock DPs. While I was waiting on the downpipes to arrive I also ordered a new valve cover kit and new oil cap to fix a leak. After the switch back to stock and with the new valve cover I'm having some weird issues that I can't figure out so any help would be appreciated.

First there is a burning plasticy/rubbery/oily smell coming from the passenger side, no smoke though. It's not strong and it might stop after driving more than a few miles but it's notable. Might be oil that dripped or something but it starts well before the exhaust would be hot, almost right after turning the car on.

Second, I drove to a local car meet to see some friends and noticed some activity I hadn't seen before on my MHD gauges. Whenever I let off the gas the AFR would spike on bank two but stay relatively low on bank one. This relates to the codes I'm seeing in the next part. I also didn't ever really get into boost, I was keeping it under 2k

View post on imgur.com

Then, when I was testing it out a bit more on the way home I got some codes:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Overall the car felt NA and wouldn't build boost at all in low RPM but would get to 4 - 6 PSI in first/second at higher RPM
When I did the valve cover I replaced the vacuum lines from brake boost line to the vacuum canisters on both sides of the hard line because they were cracked

I'm thinking it's a boost solenoid which explains the boosting issues and 30FF but not the O2 sensor codes. I did damage one of the O2 sensors when I was uninstalling the downpipes (small dent from socket) so maybe it's a combination of the two? Could a bad pre-cat O2 sensor lead to a code on both the pre and post cat sensor for that bank? The car was running perfect until now, so it seems weird the solenoid would go out unless I hit it when doing the valve cover

Edit: rear? boost solenoid is making a loud buzzing sound which makes this process easier. Also, after running the car yesterday I forgot to mention there is a water bubbling/boiling noise coming from the turbo side of the car. I have changed the ofhg and ochg within the last 1000 miles. I did the electronic bleed on the cooling system and a ton of bubbles would be heard coming up to the tank

Any help or ideas on how to proceed would be appreciated!
Jeff

Last edited by fordbaxter; 08-04-2016 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 08:49 AM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

How much oil is the car burning?

Sounds like you either broke an O2 sensor, mixed them up during install, or both.

I'd swap both boost solenoids regardless; especially if they have a decent number of miles on 'em.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #3
fordbaxter
N54 Whisperer
United_States
Rep
Drives: RB Turbo E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post

Sounds like you either broke an O2 sensor, mixed them up during install, or both.

I'd swap both boost solenoids regardless; especially if they have a decent number of miles on 'em.
Car isn't burning much oil, but I was leaking quite a bit before I did the valve cover

Car is an 08 with 55k miles and I'll probably go ahead and replace the two boost solenoids and replace the O2 sensor I know I dented to see if that fixes the problem. I did double check the 02 sensors being on the correct side, grey for the rear pipe black for the front pipe

Jeff
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2016, 03:57 PM   #4
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94

Solenoids are about $90 online and take 30 minutes to swap both if your sipping your morning coffee and taking your time.. As FC suggests, it may well be considered maintenance if you've got enough miles and will help eliminate issues....

For what it's worth, when I swapped solenoids, one buzzed like a duck call.. Fixed my boost issue and I immediately ordered the second and installed it proactively about two days later. Very, very easy job.

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 2