THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Help needed quickly...I think I f***ed up my car

08-02-2016, 07:54 PM   #1
drivethemachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

Help needed quickly...I think I f***ed up my car

So I went to code a minor thing (an ASD option) and through an unfortunate mis-click in E-sys, I ended up clicking "Code" on the DME2 unit.
Engine shut down and when I restarted it I'm getting Drivetrain malfunction and fuel system malfunction messages. Then I tried code default values but that didn't fix it either.
I'm so freaking out...
Can somebody help...please???
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #2
drivethemachine
Lieutenant
Rep

It could have been DME when I clicked on it by accident. Now I don't see DME, I see DME2 and no cafd activates in that group.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 09:22 PM   #3
drivethemachine
Lieutenant
Rep

OK, I think I managed to fix it.

Instead of deleting/masking out this thread I'm going to leave it here in case it helps others in the future. Or at least learn from my stupid mistake.

First things first, there is just one DME group and it's called DME2. No more confusion about that.

So,
I was reading this thread which suggested clicking the Detect CAF for this SWE button. Unfortunately in my case, this button was grayed out, and I had no CAFD entry in the DME2 group.
Then I proceeded to Load SVT, and browsed to my backup from last year (lucky I had one).
That magically inserted the missing CAFD into the group, then I right clicked and hit Code. (During this time, I had my engine off and sourced power from my truck via a jump cable.)
At the end of this, I was left with a simple Check Engine light.
So I disconnected the whole E-Sys rig and hooked up my generic OBD2 diagnostic tool and saw a U1187 error code. (I think it means something like "primary ID missing".) I cleared this error code and everything seems fine now, after complete restart.
I hope the error code was just from memory and it won't come back.

I may have dodged this bullet, fingers crossed.

Moral of the story: read twice, click once.
Appreciate 2
      08-02-2016, 10:17 PM   #4
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivethemachine
OK, I think I managed to fix it.

Instead of deleting/masking out this thread I'm going to leave it here in case it helps others in the future. Or at least learn from my stupid mistake.

First things first, there is just one DME group and it's called DME2. No more confusion about that.

So,
I was reading this thread which suggested clicking the Detect CAF for this SWE button. Unfortunately in my case, this button was grayed out, and I had no CAFD entry in the DME2 group.
Then I proceeded to Load SVT, and browsed to my backup from last year (lucky I had one).
That magically inserted the missing CAFD into the group, then I right clicked and hit Code. (During this time, I had my engine off and sourced power from my truck via a jump cable.)
At the end of this, I was left with a simple Check Engine light.
So I disconnected the whole E-Sys rig and hooked up my generic OBD2 diagnostic tool and saw a U1187 error code. (I think it means something like "primary ID missing".) I cleared this error code and everything seems fine now, after complete restart.
I hope the error code was just from memory and it won't come back.

I may have dodged this bullet, fingers crossed.

Moral of the story: read twice, click once.
Nice save.

You never ever click "code default values"
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 10:18 PM   #5
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivethemachine View Post
I ended up clicking "Code" on the DME2 unit...Then I tried code default values but that didn't fix it either.
I'm glad it worked out, but did you even read the coding cheat sheet thread? http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997749

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post

READ IMPORTANT NOTES:

1) NEVER click "Code Default Values" it can reset important stuff and car might not start and need to get towed to the dealer to fix the software
2) Make sure you click "Code FDL" and not "Code" (clicking code will reset the car to the factory setting erasing all the FDL coding for the selected ECU)
edit: beaten to the punch by the guy I was quoting, dangit.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 02:52 AM   #6
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Did the same thing a few days ago haha, if you have any lingering issues they should clear up in a day or two. Took a bit for my errors to clear.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 06:46 AM   #7
drivethemachine
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato
Quote:
I ended up clicking "Code" on the DME2 unit...Then I tried code default values but that didn't fix it either.
I'm glad it worked out, but did you even read the coding cheat sheet thread? http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997749

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post

READ IMPORTANT NOTES:

1) NEVER click "Code Default Values" it can reset important stuff and car might not start and need to get towed to the dealer to fix the software
2) Make sure you click "Code FDL" and not "Code" (clicking code will reset the car to the factory setting erasing all the FDL coding for the selected ECU)
edit: beaten to the punch by the guy I was quoting, dangit.
Yes, I read the cheat sheet...about a year ago.....and all I could remember was that the "Code default values" had special significance. The dumbass I am, in the heat of the moment I thought this must be the Fix everything magically button.
I drove it about 40 miles this morning and so far everything seems OK.
Appreciate 1
Beartato881.50
      08-03-2016, 01:32 PM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Yes, I read the cheat sheet...about a year ago.....and all I could remember was that the "Code default values" had special significance. The dumbass I am, in the heat of the moment I thought this must be the Fix everything magically button.
I drove it about 40 miles this morning and so far everything seems OK.
You will remember next time now
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 05:42 PM   #9
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

See TokenMaster's guide on changing displayed wording:

Post#10 & Post#11
Appreciate 1