Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Sponsor M3/M4 Project Cars Showcase

Closed Thread

08-01-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
Carlos@TAG
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Cinco

Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers // TAG Motorsports

The owner of this Silverstone M4 did not want to lower his car in his pursuit of improved handling. A lot of coilover options on the market are designed around the assumption that owners will want to decrease ride height, this means that they often cannot be set close to factory ride height or that they would not feel right if set that high. The Ohlins Road & Track is designed so that ride height can be set near stock if desired and they work beautifully well in this configuration. In this case, the owner also chose not to change the front to rear rake that is present on the factory suspension setup so this really is the ultimate OEM+ setup in our opinion: factory suspension geometry with full travel and plenty of ground clearance but with significantly firmer springs and much better damping! The easily-accessible compression/rebound adjustment knobs gave us the ability to fine tune firmness to the customer's taste more quickly than is possible with other coilover designs.

What do you think? Contact us with any questions or if you would like to discuss the many suspension upgrade options we have for your M3 or M4 today!

Appreciate 1
domino_z1232.00
      08-01-2016, 12:04 PM   #2
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Did this have a 'missing nut', as was mentioned in another thread? And you guys had to scrounge up a nut or something?

Also, it looks like the customer is running OEM size tires. If one were to move the rear tires to the front, and get 295/35's in the rear, do you think that would require spacers? I believe another person reported some issues, and required spacers for wider tires.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #3
WoohooSoCal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 SS II / SS

Thanks for featuring my car, Neema and Gabe. I'm embarrassed it was so filthy, especially the wheels, when I dropped it off.

Yes, RocketBoots , I'm running stock tire sizes. I'll be staying at stock ride height even after I decide on new wheels. All of the hardware was included. I checked before I dropped it off at TAG.

I wanted a slightly aggressive street setup over stock as I may only track my car once, at which time I can dial it up.

Impressions after 3 days:
- Flatter on turns and hard braking. Turn in is sharper.

- The rear doesn't wiggle-wobble under hard acceleration. It hooks up in a straight line and flat, a hard acceleration in the middle of a turn = no wallowing.

- Rebound and compression are improved as I can feel the backside of bumps - no float. I believe I am in the lower 1/3 of the stiffness scale for adjustment of this set and the improvement over stock is obvious. I will go a couple of clicks stiffer for a test this week. The car is comfortable and handling to my preference.

- I have active sound coded out and I can hear slightly more road noise with this setup. Not an issue just an observation with the radio off.

Gabe, Neema, Sean, and Alex at TAG are great. They spent a lot of time with me talking suspension, wheels, exhausts, and tunes...I recommend them and will return.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #4
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

haha, I didn't even notice the wheels... but now that you mention it, they ARE filthy

Thanks for the feedback. Didn't realize that was your car I saw your review. Good to hear yours wasn't missing any nuts or bolts.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2016, 03:14 PM   #5
Carlos@TAG
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
haha, I didn't even notice the wheels... but now that you mention it, they ARE filthy

Thanks for the feedback. Didn't realize that was your car I saw your review. Good to hear yours wasn't missing any nuts or bolts.
To clarify, the top nut is re-used from factory as the instructions indicate. I'm not sure why the other car on this forum had issues with the nut not fitting but the factory top nut went back onto this car without any issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #6
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I think that looks perfect, is the car set up on the max height or lowest?
      08-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #7
Carlos@TAG
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I think that looks perfect, is the car set up on the max height or lowest?
This customer wanted to stay as close to stock ride height as possible, there's plenty of room to go lower than what you see here.
Appreciate 1
Wills28647.00
      08-24-2016, 12:14 PM   #8
WoohooSoCal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 SS II / SS

One month in and still going strong, no issues, strange sounds, no adjustments needed....bliss. Highly recommended.

Thanks again TAG.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 07:52 PM   #9
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Doesn't this image show you've lowered it in front pretty much as far as it can go?

Name:  m4_ohlins_16.jpg
Views: 11368
Size:  665.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 09:07 PM   #10
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neema@TAG View Post
This customer wanted to stay as close to stock ride height as possible, there's plenty of room to go lower than what you see here.
Looking at this pics you posted the front spring perch looks almost to the bottom, my guess 3/8" more adjustment left

Rear spring perche look the same about 3/8" left

how is this plenty of room to go lower?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 11:56 PM   #11
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
Doesn't this image show you've lowered it in front pretty much as far as it can go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
Looking at this pics you posted the front spring perch looks almost to the bottom, my guess 3/8" more adjustment left

Rear spring perche look the same about 3/8" left

how is this plenty of room to go lower?
As far as the front strut assembly goes, I believe the Ohlins RT adjusts it's ride height with the lower collar in conjunction with the spring perch. However, the spring perch is most likely used to set the spring preload while the lower collar is mostly used to set ride height. This allows the shock to use it's full compression stroke.

That being said, it does look like the shock will go down into the collar about an inch more... give or take.

The rear is your typical BMW coilover perch. It doesn't look like it'll go down much further.

It's also possible that the pictures were taken before adjusting ride height.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 05:02 AM   #12
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

I hope so, but regardless, both collars show the car is almost at its lowest setting. It would be great if I was wrong and there's significant room to drop the car on these amazing coilovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
As far as the front strut assembly goes, I believe the Ohlins RT adjusts it's ride height with the lower collar in conjunction with the spring perch. However, the spring perch is most likely used to set the spring preload while the lower collar is mostly used to set ride height. This allows the shock to use it's full compression stroke.

That being said, it does look like the shock will go down into the collar about an inch more... give or take.

The rear is your typical BMW coilover perch. It doesn't look like it'll go down much further.

It's also possible that the pictures were taken before adjusting ride height.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 03:35 PM   #13
Carlos@TAG
Captain
United_States
Rep

If your primary goal is to lower your car, other kits on the market can go lower. This option is best for people who want a moderate drop or who want to stay close to stock but who are looking for improved agility, stability, body control, etc. The Road & Track does an incredible job of soaking up bumps, this is partly because it retains good suspension travel, partly because it maintains very good suspension geometry, and partly because of Ohlins' very nice dampers.

There is room to go lower than what you see here but not as low as some of the other popular options. The recommended ride height is about 1/2" below factory height and there is some room to go higher or lower than recommended as with all coilovers.
Appreciate 1
ddk632585.00
      08-25-2016, 04:51 PM   #14
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I think it's the perfect set up for those that want the benefits of a coilover setup whilst still maintaining OEM style clearance, the side on picture looks very OEM+
      08-31-2016, 07:37 PM   #15
Gabe@TAG
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I think it's the perfect set up for those that want the benefits of a coilover setup whilst still maintaining OEM style clearance, the side on picture looks very OEM+
100% agree.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 09:48 PM   #16
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Thanks for confirming the ride height adjustment of the coils is for those looking for OEM like ride height clearance, but with just amazing coilover performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 03:34 PM   #17
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

This is awesome! Coming from motorcycles, I have 100% trust in Ohlins suspension over anything else. Nice to see there are good options out there without sacrificing daily-drivability of the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 10:08 PM   #18
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

i had ohlins dfv's on my evo x - they were too stiff for street use, but in the hills/canyons the dampening at speed was spot on

i'd love to drive an f80 with a set of these

anyone looking at these with main priority of lowering is in the wrong thread
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 07:21 AM   #19
katzndogs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 6MT

PM for a set shipped to 03801!
Appreciate 1
Arcades8162.00
      04-04-2017, 04:51 PM   #20
Gabe@TAG
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzndogs View Post
PM for a set shipped to 03801!
PM coming your way!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 05:27 PM   #21
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

stock ride height possible? then it's ohlins for sure when the time comes....

I also enjoy ohlins on my bikes.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #22
Motodude310
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 GTI

I currently have the road and track coilovers on my GTI, and they're great for the street. If you're looking to track more regularly you'd probably want a more aggressive setup.

The down side is that they require periodic rebuilds. I believe Ohlins states every 15k miles, which is a total pain in the ass, and unrealistic for a street car. Is that the case with this setup too?

PS: The rebuild is $200 per corner.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread