BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
93HardTopTurbo
Rep
Drives: '93 Hardtop MR2 Turbo

Premium Sound worth it for non-audiophile? - Get it for resale value?

So I've done w/o a stereosystem of any kind my car for over 3 years and am not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination. That said, any radio would be a step up from no radio.

I'm wondering if the Premium Sound system is worth the extra $1,900? Is this an option that most used M3 buyers will be looking for? Should I get it just for better resale value 5 - 6 years down the road? Well, I guess not "better resale value" but would it make my car more attractive to potential buyers in the future?

My dealer does not have an M3 w/ a stock system so I can't compare them back to back. Just wondering if the sound quality is really that much better compared to the stock system.

Thanks.
      03-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
This topic has been discussed extensively. Search around.
      03-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
M3aHOLIC84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 Laguna Seca Blue M3

i saw if you have done without a stereo for 3 years, do yourself a favor and save $1,900. thats my opinion
      03-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
Alumac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: prudently

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93HardTopTurbo View Post
So I've done w/o a stereosystem of any kind my car for over 3 years and am not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination. That said, any radio would be a step up from no radio.

I'm wondering if the Premium Sound system is worth the extra $1,900? Is this an option that most used M3 buyers will be looking for? Should I get it just for better resale value 5 - 6 years down the road? Well, I guess not "better resale value" but would it make my car more attractive to potential buyers in the future?

My dealer does not have an M3 w/ a stock system so I can't compare them back to back. Just wondering if the sound quality is really that much better compared to the stock system.

Thanks.

If you want to hear the stock system go sit in a 328 without the Logic 7 system.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
If you're not an audiophile, why get it?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
93HardTopTurbo
Rep
Drives: '93 Hardtop MR2 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krueger///M3 View Post
If you're not an audiophile, why get it?
Because:
  1. If it sounds that much better than the stock system to the untrained ear (mine) then I wouldn't mind getting it and (maybe more importantly),
  2. If it makes my car a more attractive purchase to a future buyer 5 - 6 years from now, then I should get it

Seems like a lot of people think it's worth it so that makes me think that down the line, a buyer will probably want it so I'll just add it to my list. Thanks.
      03-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Because:
  1. If it sounds that much better than the stock system to the untrained ear (mine) then I wouldn't mind getting it and (maybe more importantly),
  2. If it makes my car a more attractive purchase to a future buyer 5 - 6 years from now, then I should get it

Seems like a lot of people think it's worth it so that makes me think that down the line, a buyer will probably want it so I'll just add it to my list. Thanks.
Sure, you are probably right, many may want the upgraded sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 07:12 PM   #8
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Because:

This has been discussed a lot on this forum, but you gave your own answer.

I still haven't had the opportunity to check the premium sound system, but I do think is something most people should get.
So how can I make this statement without even knowing the system in question?

Because the stock stereo systems in every brand suck (including the BMW stock system). They are horrible, and this is specially seen in cars with "generic" radios. Most auto makers just ask big companies (being blaupunkt a popular one in europe) to produce a cheap system for their base models.
They just as for a system that "does the job" as cheap as possible. When they tell you they have 10 speakers or so and 1000W, that doesn't mean anything. Even if you compare RMS watts vs RMS watts.
THE QUALITY of the components is what counts in this thing.

As I already said, if you are just going to hear news on the radio or spoken programs, then the stock system is more than enough, but for music, go for the premium. If at any time in the future you would like to have a better system, upgrading will be a pain in the ass and you will regret it.

By offering a premium sound, BMW is giving you the opportunity to have a great factory-installed system (and design for the car), that's integrated with the iDrive.

Aftermarket installation is such a hassle. And because you must install external amps in order to get a good sound, it makes it a special pain in the ass and you will probably finish up loosing space in the trunk (I have had this problem for years). (no external amps means no possibility of having a good sound system).
Appreciate 0