F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > HK setting
proTUNING Freaks

07-22-2016, 02:19 PM   #1
planemad
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 Audi SQ7 & 2019 AM DB11
Location: The Democratic Peoples Republic Of South East England

HK setting

Hi all

is there a recommended setup for the HK system.

Cheers all
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
BimmerF32_430i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemad
Hi all

is there a recommended setup for the HK system.

Cheers all
Try to find GlennQNyc (I think that's it). I use his settings and tweaked it a bit to my personal taste but his settings helped wake up the HK system
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhrysn View Post
Try to find GlennQNyc (I think that's it). I use his settings and tweaked it a bit to my personal taste but his settings helped wake up the HK system
Please don't take this advice.

Your sound preferences are personal to your music tastes and your unique ears.
Use the EQ to find what you feel sounds best.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #4
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark
Quote:

There isn't a pre-set on these cars and we (average joe's) doesn't know what those mhz means. So if some members here found a good setting to start off with and tweak as they go . I don't find anything wrong it and i actually would be positive to tell members to do or else we have no idea where to start, any members who know music settings is better than factory setting.

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
JohnRob2016
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post

Erm, all the music we listen to has been tweaked and eq'd by someone else, professionals to sound just right. I.e. The artists, producers and engineers.

Really the system should be flat to hear what the artists intended. However, in the case of the advice give re glenQnyc, I understand he is a professional sound engineer and spent a long time adjusting his hk and has offered his professional advice. So I'd say it's worth checking it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #6
InquisitiveA
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MSport MG 6MT

Quote:
This seems to be the post in question.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=94

I might try those settings tomorrow. I think mine sounds OK though, can't remember how it is set up but I do remember that giving the front/rear bias a click or two towards the rear made a large improvement for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #7
Nickc1982
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i

I think these were the final settings which I am using:

Bass & Treble = Flat
Balance & Fader = Centered
L7 active
(Speed Volume = Center)
100Hz +4 (sometimes +5)
200Hz -5
500Hz +2
1kHz +1
2kHz Flat
5kHz -1
10kHz Flat

Nick
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #8
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRob2016 View Post
Erm, all the music we listen to has been tweaked and eq'd by someone else, professionals to sound just right. I.e. The artists, producers and engineers.

Really the system should be flat to hear what the artists intended. However, in the case of the advice give re glenQnyc, I understand he is a professional sound engineer and spent a long time adjusting his hk and has offered his professional advice. So I'd say it's worth checking it out.
So if the music has been tweaked by a professional to sound right and therefore the system should be flat, why do people feel it's not right? Partly because we all hear and like different sounds.

No disrespect to glenQNyc, but he has tweaked a professionally mixed sound to his ears not yours.

There are many albums that are poorly mixed, by professionals. I'm a Maiden fan and their first album was quickly mixed and poorly done. It's also 36 years old so recorded on, let's just say, not the most cutting edge of equipment. Does that mean we should listen to it as it was produced, as it should have been produced or how we like it?
DAB radio is also arguably poorer quality sound than FM so should the system be flat or adjusted for each?

I think better advice it to start flat and adjust for elements you feel are lacking or to pronounce. E.g if you feel vocals aren't clear, knock up (or down) the mid ranges a notch or two. Small adjustment at a time for each range.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 05:48 PM   #9
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

More bass, more bass & more bass! Oh and more bass!
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2016, 06:59 PM   #10
subsy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31

Quote:
Quote:

So if the music has been tweaked by a professional to sound right and therefore the system should be flat, why do people feel it's not right? Partly because we all hear and like different sounds.

No disrespect to glenQNyc, but he has tweaked a professionally mixed sound to his ears not yours.

There are many albums that are poorly mixed, by professionals. I'm a Maiden fan and their first album was quickly mixed and poorly done. It's also 36 years old so recorded on, let's just say, not the most cutting edge of equipment. Does that mean we should listen to it as it was produced, as it should have been produced or how we like it?
DAB radio is also arguably poorer quality sound than FM so should the system be flat or adjusted for each?

I think better advice it to start flat and adjust for elements you feel are lacking or to pronounce. E.g if you feel vocals aren't clear, knock up (or down) the mid ranges a notch or two. Small adjustment at a time for each range.
Mastering engineer by trade here - it's my job to fix poorly recorded and mixed tracks, to make records sound consistent even when they've not been recorded or mixed in the same studios, to prepare music optimally for its final destination medium, and ultimately to make it sound as the artist intended on as wide a range of playback systems as is inherently possible.
I do so in a room with 10k speakers and 30k of acoustic treatment to provide a measured flat frequency response +- 2dB from 20Hz-20KHz.

Part of your post I agree with - tweak the settings to how you like it. Simples really.

Most listening environments are nothing near the optimal space I have the good fortune to work in. A car is one of the worst environments you can imagine in this regard. Speakers in close proximity to hard boundaries causing terrible SBIR (Speaker Boundary Interference Response), Lots of corners and crevices for build up of low frequencies, many complex room modes causing peaks and troughs and even complete cancellation of various frequencies at specific positions. Measure the response (sine wave sweep) at the 5 different seating positions in a typical car and you will get very different results. Even moving your head a few inches and you can hear the change in response. This includes moving as you might normally whilst driving, and also implies significant differences when people are of different height, and move their seat forwards or backwards, or prefer a high or low seating position. There's also lots of glass meaning many early reflections causing time domain issues, which can't be fixed by EQ anyway. And so on.
Plus typically average audio components at best.

So the idea that flat settings on the equaliser = flat frequency response in any of the main seating positions is unfortunately wishful thinking. The reality is very different.

Since most people don't have measuring equipment, and since adjusting EQ for a single static measured position is not much use, given some of the reasons I've explained earlier, all you can really do is adjust the settings so that for you - across a wide range of source material that you typically listen to, and across a good variety of different head positions that you'll typically use during normal driving - you enjoy the sound and don't get too fatigued from listening.

Hope that helps explain.
      07-23-2016, 12:32 AM   #11
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsy
Quote:
Quote:

Mastering engineer by trade here - it's my job to fix poorly recorded and mixed tracks, to make records sound consistent even when they've not been recorded or mixed in the same studios, to prepare music optimally for its final destination medium, and ultimately to make it sound as the artist intended on as wide a range of playback systems as is inherently possible.
I do so in a room with 10k speakers and 30k of acoustic treatment to provide a measured flat frequency response +- 2dB from 20Hz-20KHz.

Part of your post I agree with - tweak the settings to how you like it. Simples really.

Most listening environments are nothing near the optimal space I have the good fortune to work in. A car is one of the worst environments you can imagine in this regard. Speakers in close proximity to hard boundaries causing terrible SBIR (Speaker Boundary Interference Response), Lots of corners and crevices for build up of low frequencies, many complex room modes causing peaks and troughs and even complete cancellation of various frequencies at specific positions. Measure the response (sine wave sweep) at the 5 different seating positions in a typical car and you will get very different results. Even moving your head a few inches and you can hear the change in response. This means moving as you might normally whilst driving, and also implies significant differences when people are of different height, and move their seat forwards or backwards, or order a high or low seating position. There's also lots of glass meaning many early reflections causing time domain issues, which can't be fixed by EQ anyway. And so on.

So the idea that flat settings on the equaliser = flat frequency response in any of the main seating positions is unfortunately wishful thinking. The reality is very different.

Since most people don't have measuring equipment, and since adjusting EQ for a single static measured position is not much use, given some of the reasons I've explained earlier, all you can really do is adjust the settings so that for you - across a wide range of source material that you typically listen to, and across a good variety of different head positions that you'll typically use during normal driving - you enjoy the sound and don't get too fatigued from listening.

Hope that helps explain.
Excellent post subsy
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 12:59 AM   #12
BimmerF32_430i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Quote:

Lmao you contradict yourself in that statement. I used someone else's settings (someone who is a professional) and then tweaked it to my own taste.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 02:57 AM   #13
InquisitiveA
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MSport MG 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsy View Post
Mastering engineer by trade here...
Excellent post indeed.

What I took from that is adjusting using one seating position listening to one track with the car invariably stopped and silent is a pretty pointless exercise. And anyone claiming to have the "best" settings it talking nonsense. So play with the settings if you want but don't get too stressed or anal about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 03:36 AM   #14
JohnRob2016
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

Quote:

Most listening environments are nothing near the optimal space I have the good fortune to work in. A car is one of the worst environments you can imagine in this regard. Speakers in close proximity to hard boundaries causing terrible SBIR (Speaker Boundary Interference Response), Lots of corners and crevices for build up of low frequencies, many complex room modes causing peaks and troughs and even complete cancellation of various frequencies at specific positions. Measure the response (sine wave sweep) at the 5 different seating positions in a typical car and you will get very different results. Even moving your head a few inches and you can hear the change in response. This includes moving as you might normally whilst driving, and also implies significant differences when people are of different height, and move their seat forwards or backwards, or prefer a high or low seating position. There's also lots of glass meaning many early reflections causing time domain issues, which can't be fixed by EQ anyway. And so on.

Hope that helps explain.
That's what I like to read, a professional view that I can learn from. Thanks subsy!
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2016, 07:50 AM   #15
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Quote:

Hope that helps explain.
That lad knows his onions!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 07:03 AM   #16
330Stevie
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

Top post subsy!
Knocked it out the park!!!
For me there's only one setting......
Play it loud!!!!!!
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #17
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

I started a similar thread a while ago and was directed to a thread where a sound engineer had done a load of testing and came up with the below settings. I set mine like this and it seems a good starting point.

Bass & Treble = Flat
Balance & Fader = Centered
L7 active
(Speed Volume = Center)

100Hz +4 (sometimes +5)
200Hz -5
500Hz +2
1kHz +1
2kHz Flat
5kHz -1
10kHz Flat
Appreciate 0