E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N54 and Turbos

07-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
NRudy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

N54 and Turbos

Hi all,

I replaced my turbos 13 months ago due to the dreaded wastegate rattle.

I purchased 2 turbos from BMW @ around £600 each.

After around 3 months i started hearing the rattle and now its back as loud as it was.

I took the car to my BMW dealership who advised yes the turbos are rattling but as the car hasnt coded BMW HO will advise we can not replace as rattling doesn't mean they are not functioning correctly.

This is the part i don't agree with, i replaced my turbos due to a rattle i bought new ones so they didn't rattle then BMW say rattle is fine. However if the car was new, rattle would not be fine as they wouldn't sell a straight 6 petrol which sounds like a tractor under load.

I understand my car is not new however the turbos are and as such they should perform as new.

It to me feels like i wasted close to 3k replacing turbos for a noise only to get it back again.

Am i wrong in pursuing this to get them to replace?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 05:13 AM   #2
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

The rattle will always come back. The oem turbos are flawed in design with their internal wastegates. If you changed the turbos only due to the noise and not because they were leaky or making a siren noise then you may have spent all that money for no reason, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 07:04 AM   #3
NRudy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

See the annoying thing is both BMW & my indy advised new turbos are required to stop the issue, i do this and now its faulty by design and will keep coming back?

in my opinion that would fall to BMW to rectify as if something is defective it should be repairs / replaced. Now if BMW say the rattle is by design (intentional) should this not been advised at release / point of sale thus any complaints would have been met with a disclaimer.

I have written to BMW directly about it to see what comes back.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Why would the dealership tell you this when they just made 3k in labor costs. Yes, it's pathetic to think they'd do that but they weren't lying it did stop the noise.....for 3 months.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #5
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

you should not have changed those turbos. The rattle will always be there. I just got new mitsubishi OE turbos installed. Right when I drove off the lot, I heard a little rattle. You have to live with it.

The turbos are going to last real long > 100k miles, and up until the internal bushing wears out and then you get low boost. If you get lucky, then you just get the siren noise which is basically the turbos are shot. That is better in my opinion because you know you've used up the life of the turbos and rattle than the stupid wastegate bushing getting worn out.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 10:14 PM   #6
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Gotta send them to

http://turbolabofamerica.com

They have a fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 08:37 AM   #7
abeardo83
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRudy View Post
Hi all,

I replaced my turbos 13 months ago due to the dreaded wastegate rattle.

I purchased 2 turbos from BMW @ around £600 each.

After around 3 months i started hearing the rattle and now its back as loud as it was.

I took the car to my BMW dealership who advised yes the turbos are rattling but as the car hasnt coded BMW HO will advise we can not replace as rattling doesn't mean they are not functioning correctly.

This is the part i don't agree with, i replaced my turbos due to a rattle i bought new ones so they didn't rattle then BMW say rattle is fine. However if the car was new, rattle would not be fine as they wouldn't sell a straight 6 petrol which sounds like a tractor under load.

I understand my car is not new however the turbos are and as such they should perform as new.

It to me feels like i wasted close to 3k replacing turbos for a noise only to get it back again.

Am i wrong in pursuing this to get them to replace?
Not sure what you mean by "car hasn't coded BMW HO"...

However, if you bought the turbos out of warranty and had them fitted by BMW, then they come with a two year warranty. The rattle is a defect and by the terms of their parts warranty, they have to replace defective parts.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 06:51 AM   #8
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

It's the wastegate actuator and rod that needed replaced not the turbo unless the new turbo came with actuators

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0