E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > turbo leaking oil and oil pan leaking

07-17-2016, 04:53 PM   #1
bimmerboi510
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

turbo leaking oil and oil pan leaking

I was told by my mechanic that my turbo was leaking oil and my oil pan was leaking as well. Are these real serious problems that I have to take care of right now? I just got the car and it's at 47k miles and I'm not sure if these are big problems. I'm already going to change the thermostat and lp fuel sensor because it threw an engine light and found out these problems on top....... Is it worth keeping or should I just sell it? Need opinions thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #2
LQQKOUT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XI

The leaks are known issues. If your turbos are leaking be ready to fork out $2K+ for new turbos and I would say another $500-1k for the oil pan gasket. On top of that if you decide to mod you'll be replacing injectors, HPFP, plugs and coils at a minimum. That's a few $K also. If you bought the car to have a reliable nice car, you got 1 of the 2. The reliability is questionable, but performance that can be squeezed from the N54 is amazing. I have had 3 N54 powered BMW's and 2 of them left me stranded due to maintenance issues. But I keep coming back because I lI've the performance I can squeeze out of them.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 07:08 PM   #3
bimmerboi510
Private
Rep

From what I read, leaking turbos are not big issues? and its not directly correlated to the wastegate rattle so it still needs immediate attention? My mechanic told me if I don't drive crazy I should be cool for 2 years........ What do you guys think? Same with the oil pan.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 07:12 PM   #4
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi510
I was told by my mechanic that my turbo was leaking oil and my oil pan was leaking as well. Are these real serious problems that I have to take care of right now? I just got the car and it's at 47k miles and I'm not sure if these are big problems. I'm already going to change the thermostat and lp fuel sensor because it threw an engine light and found out these problems on top....... Is it worth keeping or should I just sell it? Need opinions thanks.
It depends how bad it's leaking and where it's coming from and how much is coming out. If it's just seeping a little from the oil pan, or from one of the turbo oil lines, you may be able to ride it out for a bit until it gets worse.

It sounds like you're oil filter housing gasket and thermostat gasket and / or 2 oil line orings are leaking up top. If you are replacing any of those components, make sure everything I just listed gets replaced at the same time so it's a one and done job. When any of these leak, it literally get all over underneath and can easily look like an oil pan or something else.

Finally, if your replacing turbos and your oil pan is leaking, a lot of the labor from the turbo install overlaps with the oil pan. The only extra step I believe is taking the pan off, and replacing the gasket and reinstalling the pan, maybe an hour-1.5 hour extra tops??

Try not to get hosed on this work.
      07-17-2016, 07:45 PM   #5
maaaaackle
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Wait, arent the turbos warrantied ?

Is there any kind of preventative maintenance that could be done to prevent leaks from the turbos?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
bimmerboi510
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
It depends how bad it's leaking and where it's coming from and how much is coming out. If it's just seeping a little from the oil pan, or from one of the turbo oil lines, you may be able to ride it out for a bit until it gets worse.

It sounds like you're oil filter housing gasket and thermostat gasket and / or 2 oil line orings are leaking up top. If you are replacing any of those components, make sure everything I just listed gets replaced at the same time so it's a one and done job. When any of these leak, it literally get all over underneath and can easily look like an oil pan or something else.

Finally, if your replacing turbos and your oil pan is leaking, a lot of the labor from the turbo install overlaps with the oil pan. The only extra step I believe is taking the pan off, and replacing the gasket and reinstalling the pan, maybe an hour-1.5 hour extra tops??

Thanks! If that's the case how long do you think I can ride it out for?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 01:20 PM   #7
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post

Thanks! If that's the case how long do you think I can ride it out for?
Honestly can't say. It all depends on how bad it is. Do not ride out the ofhg leak though.
      07-18-2016, 06:49 PM   #8
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaaaackle View Post
Wait, arent the turbos warrantied ?

Is there any kind of preventative maintenance that could be done to prevent leaks from the turbos?
+1, your turbo's are warrantied up to 85K miles I believe, not sure what year your car is but worth a trip to any dealer to see if BMW NA will cover.

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 10:54 PM   #9
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep
Drives: 335i

Get the oil pan gasket changed while the turbos are being changed. A lot of the work is the same, will save a bundle on labor costs.
      07-18-2016, 11:55 PM   #10
bimmerboi510
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrooks18 View Post
+1, your turbo's are warrantied up to 85K miles I believe, not sure what year your car is but worth a trip to any dealer to see if BMW NA will cover.
mine is 2007 with 47k miles, I read somewhere it covers up to 8 years?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 12:26 AM   #11
bimmerboi510
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wren57 View Post
Get the oil pan gasket changed while the turbos are being changed. A lot of the work is the same, will save a bundle on labor costs.
I dont plan on fixing it within the next 2 years
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 05:35 AM   #12
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi510 View Post
I dont plan on fixing it within the next 2 years
The turbos should still be under BMW warranty.. take it in and complain. While they're doing the warranty work, pay the extra labor to have to OPG replaced. Will not be more than a couple hundred then.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 05:32 PM   #13
MadeInPhilly
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 318is, E90 335i, 03 GTI

warranty for the turbos is maxed at 8 years and since you have 2007 i doubt it will be covered.
Appreciate 0