BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M Performance Exhaust

07-16-2016, 10:51 PM   #1
Diver21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

M Performance Exhaust

Hello all,

My dealership has recently given me a slot for an order. I'm in the system at '111'.

I'm trying to finish up the minor details of the order. Can someone provide their thoughts around the MPE? What are the benefits?

Thanks!

FYI, BMW of Austin now has an M2 on the lot which I drove this morning. Just F'ing awesome! Wow!

David
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 11:05 PM   #2
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver21 View Post
Hello all,

My dealership has recently given me a slot for an order. I'm in the system at '111'.

I'm trying to finish up the minor details of the order. Can someone provide their thoughts around the MPE? What are the benefits?

Thanks!

FYI, BMW of Austin now has an M2 on the lot which I drove this morning. Just F'ing awesome! Wow!

David
There are no performance benefits with the MPE. Its purely an aural improvement...from everything I've seen/read/heard about the stock exhaust it already sounds fantastic. Personally the MPE is a lot of money for no gain other than incremental improvement on sound...there are a lot of other performance mods you could buy for that money.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 11:14 PM   #3
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
There are no performance benefits with the MPE. Its purely an aural improvement...from everything I've seen/read/heard about the stock exhaust it already sounds fantastic. Personally the MPE is a lot of money for no gain other than incremental improvement on sound...there are a lot of other performance mods you could buy for that money.
This...but, if you can add it to your build I would do it. I regret not adding it to mine but I was one of the earlier HEA cars and they missed the mirror caps and diffuser I tried to add after promising they would be added. So, odds are I would have missed out anyway.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 02:43 AM   #4
BMW_M2_BE
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

I test drove one with and without the MPE. For me the MPE was the missing piece on the stock car maybe the stock exhaust sounds good but the car is wel isolated inside i missed a little bit of the thrill of the beast she actually really is.
When you then start up the MPE for the first time your smile will go behind your ears.
Good thing is with the flaps closed its still respectively quiet inside. You can choose what you want.
For me it's definitely going to be a mod straight away when I finally get mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 07:15 AM   #5
Diver21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Thanks all for the input. I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #6
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

My short answer is - it's really nice, but you don't really need it. The stock exhaust has enough character and is loud enough.

I had the stock exhaust while doing ED. In sport +, I got all the burbles, pops and even a few loud bangs that I wanted. The car and I think the sound attracted a lot of attention as it was. It definitely put a smile on my face and I loved driving in slow/medium traffic as I shifted gears. I loved driving in tunnels or roads with barriers next to them.

When it was delivered back home, the MPE was installed. The exhaust is still very characterful and perhaps a slightly louder volume than stock in the street/sport mode. In track the mode the MPE sounds a bit more mean and raw and even louder still. Now do I enjoy the MPE? Hell yeah! I now look forward to stop and go traffic jams and find myself shifting ( manual car ) more often than I really need to because it's just so fun!

In the same situation, would I enjoy it even with the stock exhaust? Yes definitely! But perhaps with a little less drama, and perhaps my smile wouldn't be as big, but I would still have have a big smile!