E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Air Filter Help!

07-15-2016, 11:47 PM   #1
ArweenX1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 335i

Air Filter Help!

Anyone have a link as to where I can buy just the air filters for this intake? Mine are starting to look really grimey.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 07:11 AM   #2
LQQKOUT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XI

Unless they are getting holes in them, they are washable. Buy the recharge kit.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2016, 07:28 AM   #3
ArweenX1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT
Unless they are getting holes in them, they are washable. Buy the recharge kit.
I washed them and reoiled there still black. Not sure why it just bugs me man
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 08:23 AM   #4
CanadianTSi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535 xDrive Diesel

24-90054 is the part number. Amazon would probably be the cheapest, or Afe themselves.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 09:21 AM   #5
ArweenX1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTSi
24-90054 is the part number. Amazon would probably be the cheapest, or Afe themselves.
Wow. 50$ per filter. Ehhhhh mine don't look that bad I guess
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 01:48 PM   #6
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArweenX1
I washed them and reoiled there still black. Not sure why it just bugs me man
Try using K&N cleaner...it seems to be more effective. If you want them to look like new, it may take 3-4 clean-wait-rinse cycles before you can re-oil them. Speaking of which, wait until the filter is totally dry (leave them out overnight), then only apply one drop every inch or so along each pleat. Let the filters sit vertically for at least an hour before assessing whether you need more oil. It is very easy to over oil when using the aFe oil. Less is definitely more in this case.

To assess whether I've used too much oil, I carefully stuff a few wadded up paper towels in each filter. They should not wick an excessive amount of oil. If they do, leave the paper towels within the filter for few hours.

The whole process is kind of a hassle, but if done correctly the filters will look and perform like new.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 01:53 PM   #7
TrollToll
Banned
Rep
Drives: 535i

A tip if you're impatient: you can dramatically shorten the dry time by shaking excess water and then using a shop vac to pull the water out of the filter. You'll still need a little time to air dry, but not near as long.
As for the residual color, are you using an appropriate degreaser before washing? Since it is oil based you'll need a strong degreaser. I don't see why purple power or even dish soap wouldn't work. It's all just cotton gauze and will be rinsed out quickly. Hell, if you're picky about color, you could probably bleach them and then thoroughly wash.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #8
ArweenX1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Is there a possibility of oil going through the inlets and into the turbos? I always questioned weather this would do damage....... And I just leave them out to dry I'm most likely gonna use a stronger degreaser this time like simple green and redo the whole process. Thanks Everyone For The Replys Btw!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 06:15 PM   #9
TrollToll
Banned
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArweenX1 View Post
Is there a possibility of oil going through the inlets and into the turbos? I always questioned weather this would do damage....... And I just leave them out to dry I'm most likely gonna use a stronger degreaser this time like simple green and redo the whole process. Thanks Everyone For The Replys Btw!
(tl;dr no it's fine)

Yes it's always a possibility for excess oil to make it through the filter into the intake tract, and very likely to happen. However, that small amount of oil actually won't hurt anything. Your intake tract already has tons of oil in it from the PCV system anyway.
People used to say that using too much oil will cause some to be pulled past the filter and foul the mass air flow sensor. First thing, though, our cars don't have a mass air flow sensor. Second I talked with a K&N sales rep in depth about this because I also believed it to be a problem. He provided me with a lot of info as well as printed studies where they actually tested a MAF sensor, submersed it in oil, then tested it again with the same results. So there are two schools of thought on that, but it's irrelevant either way since we don't have MAFs. Just some interesting info. Personally I think the problem comes from a light coating of oil in the MAF sensor wires and that in turn collects microscopic particles of dirt over time, which in turn insulate the wires and provide inaccurate measurements of actual air flow and cause the car to run poorly. Again, it's irrelevant in the N54.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 07:49 PM   #10
ArweenX1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArweenX1 View Post
(tl;dr no it's fine)

Yes it's always a possibility for excess oil to make it through the filter into the intake tract, and very likely to happen. However, that small amount of oil actually won't hurt anything. Your intake tract already has tons of oil in it from the PCV system anyway.
People used to say that using too much oil will cause some to be pulled past the filter and foul the mass air flow sensor. First thing, though, our cars don't have a mass air flow sensor. Second I talked with a K&N sales rep in depth about this because I also believed it to be a problem. He provided me with a lot of info as well as printed studies where they actually tested a MAF sensor, submersed it in oil, then tested it again with the same results. So there are two schools of thought on that, but it's irrelevant either way since we don't have MAFs. Just some interesting info. Personally I think the problem comes from a light coating of oil in the MAF sensor wires and that in turn collects microscopic particles of dirt over time, which in turn insulate the wires and provide inaccurate measurements of actual air flow and cause the car to run poorly. Again, it's irrelevant in the N54.
Lot of great info and insight man thanks! I'm defiantly not worried as much at all anymore
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 08:53 PM   #11
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

I would buy a second set of filters so that you never have any down time in between cleanings while you wait for things to dry. But that's just me, with this being my only car.