BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

07-13-2016, 05:51 PM   #1
emulajavi
First Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: MINI JCW F56

Keeping hands while using Driving Assistant

Hi

When using driving assistant if you take your hand off the wheel it deactivates in 2 or 3 seconds.

Do you know a method to make the car think your hands are still on the wheel?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 11:10 PM   #2
terrainx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

Sure - just have your riding companion place his or her hands on your wheel - problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 01:31 AM   #3
polly
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 m3

I found if I rest my arm on the door panel and put my thumb on the steering the steering assist stays on. it's not designed for autonomous steering , but more for relaxed driving - by just touching the steering it "helps" steer without any effort.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 06:50 AM   #4
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

Voice
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #5
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I found if I rest my arm on the door panel and put my thumb on the steering the steering assist stays on. it's not designed for autonomous steering , but more for relaxed driving - by just touching the steering it "helps" steer without any effort.
That's my method as well -- except I use my index finger. I've found I can remove both hands from the wheel for up to 10 seconds or so before the system starts to chime, warning me to put my hands back on the wheel. I typically do this when I'm reaching for something in the glove box.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
emulajavi
First Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: MINI JCW F56

Touching the wheel with 2 fingers (only touching) does the trick.

I'd like the system to be able to

- stay "on the green wheel" for more that 3 seconds before turning yellow (when your hands are off). Let's say 10 seconds will be a lot better. Mercedes or Tesla let you a lot more than 3 seconds before giving asking you to touch the wheel.

- Show more info in the center of the instrument cluster (and HUD) depicting cars around you, or the car in front exact position in the lane.

- Inform you IN ADVANCE when the car thinks it won't be able to handle the situation. NOW THE SYSTEM TURNS OFF WITHOUT NOTICE. It's annoying when ir a curve the car starts steering (green wheel icon) and then suddenly it turns off (grey wheel icon) without any notice. A sound or a warning will be very appreciated.

- Slow down when entering a curve. It has all the info of the speed limits on the GPS and it can how with the GPS info and the mounted cameras how closed or opened is the curve, so if you have the speed set to 150km/h and you approach a closed curve that car shouldn't try to stay at 150km/h and steer because it's obvious that the wheel icon will turn grey at the middle of the curve when the car hasn't been able to keep the car on its lane at such speed.

- LEARN how you drive and contrasting your driving to what the system thinks it should have done. This would be like the Fleet Learning feature of the Teslas.

- Add Lane Change for overturning. Hardware is capable as we see on the Teslas and on the new E Class. We have the front radar and radars in the four corners + stereo cameras. It should be only a matter of developing a software update.

- And finally BMW should regularly push updates to the vehicle refining the system. OTA or at dealers. The current hardware is capable of more and is only matter of software developing and refinement. Remember Tesla's Autopilot is built up on hardware of 2014 that was intended for Automatic Cruise Control and Lane Change Warning.

I hope BMW does some software updates in the G series and the ages of new features only come when new hardware comes are gone.
Appreciate 0