E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Limp mode and throwin' codes

07-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #1
mafyou
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90

Limp mode and throwin' codes

07 335i sedan seems to be driving just fine yesterday until the dashboard lit up and through all sorts of warnings: tire pressure sensor, ABS, whatever the hell the image of the car being up means... and the dreaded limp mode.

I plugged in Carly and ran diagnostics and got the following codes back. I cleared the codes and restarted and was good after that, except one code, but it drove fine after that. Until today at least, when it all happened again.

Local shop is closed until tomorrow, so just seeing if anyone has encountered this before or has any ideas what might be going on.

0. Motor Control:
<--------------------------->
Engine / Motor:
- Fault: :Boost pressure control 2
- Code: 003100
- Fault: Crankshaft sensor signal incorrect
- Code: 002A94
<===========================>
1. ABS / DSC / Brake:
Dynamische Stabilitaets Kontrolle / DSC:
- Fault: Signal error CAN
- Code: 005E1A
3. Transmission Control:
Transmission / Getriebe GS 19:
- Fault: sorry, unknown DTC fault
- Code: 0051A6
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 05:14 PM   #2
X_Drive
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: E46, E91, F21

Garage List
Seems as though your faults are crankshaft sensor related. It will cause the secondary faults and have your car go into limp mode.

One of the times I found these codes, a lovely rodent made its nest under the intake manifold and decided to use the crankshaft sensor wires as a snack. The wires were not severed fully, however enough to short at certain engine speeds.

Another time, the crankshaft sensor was pooched.

However as a disclaimer, internet diagnosing is pretty difficult and without being able to physcally test your car, I cannot 100% condem your sensor. I would monitor your vehicle to see if this was a one off first, since you already cleared the faults. Also, what fault stayed?

Since we live in the PacNorth West and the weather has gone from summer to somewhat fall in the last few days, rodents tend to find a nice dry area in our engine bays. Check for any signs of unwated guests next time you lift your hood and see if they decided to use your engine wires or other bits as a buffet.

HTH's
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 10:14 PM   #3
Swish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sport

I would guess camshaft positioning sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafyou View Post
07 335i sedan seems to be driving just fine yesterday until the dashboard lit up and through all sorts of warnings: tire pressure sensor, ABS, whatever the hell the image of the car being up means... and the dreaded limp mode.

I plugged in Carly and ran diagnostics and got the following codes back. I cleared the codes and restarted and was good after that, except one code, but it drove fine after that. Until today at least, when it all happened again.

Local shop is closed until tomorrow, so just seeing if anyone has encountered this before or has any ideas what might be going on.

0. Motor Control:
Engine / Motor:
- Fault: :Boost pressure control 2
- Code: 003100
- Fault: Crankshaft sensor signal incorrect
- Code: 002A94
1. ABS / DSC / Brake:
Dynamische Stabilitaets Kontrolle / DSC:
- Fault: Signal error CAN
- Code: 005E1A
3. Transmission Control:
Transmission / Getriebe GS 19:
- Fault: sorry, unknown DTC fault
- Code: 0051A6
I had to replace the one in my previous car, a 2006 330xi. That did the trick.
Appreciate 0