BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Sport Mode and Sport Plus shifting DCT??

07-07-2016, 09:58 AM   #1
girllikescars
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Sport Mode and Sport Plus shifting DCT??

I have a question for the "experts" on here about the DCT transmission shifting of my car in Sport Mode or Sport Plus.

In comfort mode, it drives like comfort mode which is fine and shifts at lower RPMs and slightly boring. I have 1200 miles and just had my break in service.

In sport mode and plus when I really hit the acceleration the rpm redline to almost 7000 before it shifts. Is this normal operation to rev this high before shifting in this mode? In every gear.. the only way I can get it to shift sooner in these modes is if I let off the accelerator and wait for it to shift.

Maybe there is something I can read to understand normal shifting operation in these modes?
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by girllikescars View Post
I have a question for the "experts" on here about the DCT transmission shifting of my car in Sport Mode or Sport Plus.

In comfort mode, it drives like comfort mode which is fine and shifts at lower RPMs and slightly boring. I have 1200 miles and just had my break in service.

In sport mode and plus when I really hit the acceleration the rpm redline to almost 7000 before it shifts. Is this normal operation to rev this high before shifting in this mode? In every gear.. the only way I can get it to shift sooner in these modes is if I let off the accelerator and wait for it to shift.

Maybe there is something I can read to understand normal shifting operation in these modes?
That sounds right. In "sport" or "sport +", it assumes you're going to be driving aggressively, so in general it's going to let the engine rev higher before shifting. When you give a it a lot of gas, it's going to assume you're looking for maximum oomph, and it's going to try to keep the engine way up in the power band.

Personally, I almost always pick the gears myself. One of the benefits is, I can enjoy the snappier shifting, throttle response, and exhaust burbles of sport mode while toodling around.
Appreciate 3
      07-07-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:

The auto mode is only appealing for sedate driving, or when you're stuck in traffic. Every other time I would change gears myself, and CERTAINLY when driving quickly.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:

This sounds about right. I drive about 99% of the time in sport + but mostly use the paddles to shift. The times I don't start out in manual mode I quickly switch because of the rpms going to high before the car is warmed up.

Start shifting yourself and soon it will be second nature and you will do without thinking about it.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 10:48 AM   #5
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

It depends on how aggressive you are on the throttle too. I can drive along in auto mode and sport for normal driving too but as soon as you are a bit more aggressive it will hold the current gear for longer.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #6
girllikescars
Rep

Thanks so much!

I am very aggressive because I only drive it on weekends and immediately put it in sport mode or plus. I have it to the floor most of the time at least briefly multiple times to prevent me from killing myself or serious ticket time. I am comfortable with the paddle shifters. I like them and it fun to use but like the laziness of just hitting it.

I love the sound in these modes and love the car and was just worried if I would break this car I love letting it rev to 7000 before it shifts. So this is normal operation in this mode I guess?

Did I read somewhere that I can change the exhaust mode noise and leave it in comfort mode? I cannot remember where
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #7
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Thanks so much!

I am very aggressive because I only drive it on weekends and immediately put it in sport mode or plus. I have it to the floor most of the time at least briefly multiple times to prevent me from killing myself or serious ticket time. I am comfortable with the paddle shifters. I like them and it fun to use but like the laziness of just hitting it.

I love the sound in these modes and love the car and was just worried if I would break this car I love letting it rev to 7000 before it shifts. So this is normal operation in this mode I guess?

Did I read somewhere that I can change the exhaust mode noise and leave it in comfort mode? I cannot remember where
Put in Comfort, hit the DSC button quickly until 'Traction' shows on dash. This puts the car in MDM, or as the forum calls it, "popcorn mode"
Appreciate 2
      07-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by girllikescars

It's not going to break - that's what it's been designed for # because sports car !
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #9
Kover310
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 AW

yea, I believe the car revs to 7300, so shifting at 7 sounds right when sport driving in sport and sport+. I agree with most in this post, I shift myself 95% of the time. Even in comfort w/ MDM mode (comfort burble mode :P).
      07-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #10
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Auto mode in the M2 is not very good compared to say the 135is DCT. Therefore your best option is manual. On the track in the 1 I almost exclusively used auto mode. If I wanted it to upshift I would just twitch the throttle up for an instant like an old school slushbox and it would upshift immediately, fast, and hard. On the M2 no go. Even sport and sport+ in manual mode is scaled back unless you are on the throttle at least moderately heavy. Ok but certainly not as decisive as the 1. Don't get me wrong, the car is great but the software tune on the dct needs work.