E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My 4th of July project: Fixing my CIC screen

07-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
Ricapar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

My 4th of July project: Fixing my CIC screen

Unfortunately, I didn't document this picture-by-picture as much as I would've liked, but I still think it's worth sharing:

Since I got my e93 about three years ago, it's had an issue with the CIC screen that's been progressively getting worse. The issue is/was that whenever I would hit a bump in the road, the screen would just shut off. However, everything else kept working. I could still use the scroll wheel/knob and click through menus and get to different pages on the CIC.

I had gotten accustomed to dealing with it, to the point of where I've memorized how many clicks it takes to get to the radio menu to pick out different stations.

I made this video about two years ago demonstrating the issue.

I've periodically scoured these forums looking for someone else with a similar issue, but have found absolutely nothing.

Given the fact that it happened when hitting a bump.. it was a clear indication of something being loose.

So, yesterday, I took the screen out, and started taking things apart!

Here's a quick shot of my workstation in the middle of our family BBQ:

That there is the CIC screen taken nearly completely apart.

The culprit was actually quite easy to find:

Note the highlighted component in the picture - the small coil inductor on the right side of the board.

Again, I regret not getting more pictures of the process.. but if you had looked on the other side, the solder joint on one of the legs had broken off!

Whenever a large enough bump would hit.. it would push it further away and break the connection, making the entire screen cease to function.

Every now and then it would wiggle itself back close enough to make contact, and the screen would turn back on.

On the board there were some brown marks around the solder joint, indicating there might've been some small arcing .

I took out my soldering iron, put a new dab of solder on it, hooked it back up to the car.... and for the first time in nearly 2 years, I have a CIC screen that says on!
      07-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #2
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Curse you for not having done this 2 years ago! (Hating voice). lol I kid..

Def glad you got this sorted out and not that you needed a replacement. With the added benefit of a boosted confidence as well.. Good job.
      07-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #3
Ricapar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
Curse you for not having done this 2 years ago! (Hating voice). lol I kid..
Hah! You and me both..

I'm no stranger to tinkering with electronics - soldering is no problem, and I was fully prepared for this. On the table I had my multi-meter, soldering iron, etc all ready to go.

The biggest reason I delayed this was the unknown of how long it would take. There was entirely a chance that I opened this thing up and I'd spend the whole day probing component by component with the multi-meter to see what's not quite right.

It didn't turn out that way though! Didn't even get to use the multi-meter.. That loose inductor was so darn obvious once the casing was off! It took me longer to find all my tools and warm up the soldering iron than it took to disassemble, solder, test, and put back together!
      07-05-2016, 01:23 PM   #4
MTTH
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 328xi |'18 440xi GranCoupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
Great job!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #5
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Good thing it was obvious, diagnosing circuits is a PITA lol.
      07-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #6
Hacksaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing the fix!

Something to keep my eye on for the future.

Are you running any suspension other than stock?

I'm curious if there is some additional vibration your car might experience.
Either way.. that should not have broke like that.

Often times I see a dab of silicone or hardened glue to support the coil on a lot of system boards. Surprised in an automotive application they didn't bother.

'02 BMW ///M3Imola Red|Blk Cloth|6M|TFS CSL TUNE - MSS54HP|CSL Rep Airbox|Euro Headers|StopTech ST-40 BBKs|Kirk 4pt Bar|CF CSL Trunk|GC Race F/R Sways|
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 01:01 PM   #7
Ricapar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
Thanks for sharing the fix!

Something to keep my eye on for the future.

Are you running any suspension other than stock?

I'm curious if there is some additional vibration your car might experience.
Either way.. that should not have broke like that.

Often times I see a dab of silicone or hardened glue to support the coil on a lot of system boards. Surprised in an automotive application they didn't bother.
I recently redid my suspension to Bilstein B8's - however, that was maybe 2 months ago. The car had been on it's stock Sport Suspension up until then. (I have about 120k miles)

And come to think of it, you're right - I usually do see a dab of hot glue (or something that looks like it) around a lot of inductor coils. Nothing of that sort here.
      07-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #8
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

It almost looks like the actual casing for the lcd screen between ccc & cic is almost the same. to just buy an lcd screen for cic that are sold on ebay for repairs. It would be cheaper for someone doing a ccc to cic retrofit...
Appreciate 0