E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Insurance and Aftermarket Parts

06-29-2016, 02:42 PM   #1
Antony_correia11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i

Insurance and Aftermarket Parts

Good afternoon,

long story short, I was rear ended.

Bumper needs to be replaced, as well as the support bar under neath. Other insurance took 100% liability.

I am going through my insurance, and they are saying that they will only replace with aftermarket bumper, as that is on my policy listed as acceptable. I had an OEM bumper before, and want an OEM bumper put back on as I am not at fault and do not want to pay out of pocket for something I should be entitled to.

My insurance is standing firm, however they are going to contact the other parties insurance on behalf of me to see if they will pick up the rest of the money for the OEM bumper as he was at fault. I also mentioned a diminished value claim with using the aftermarket bumper. She was quick to respond and said that we can file that through the other parties insurance company.

Any advice? Am I following the correct parameters?

This is my first incident of this kind, and I know I am being very vague but want to make sure I don't cross any legal boundaries.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

When you go through your insurance, it's a toll-free number to some call center, correct? I used a regular agent since the price was cheaper. He claimed 5 years ago the above would never happen. Wouldn't surprise me if it isn't the case, but he has never been tested...I did have the above experience with the lizard co who would not authorize an OEM windshield, but they gave up after 40+ min of arguing. What a way to do business...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #3
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Why are you going through your insurance? You should have just called the other guy's insurance company, tell them you want to file a claim against his liability policy, and let them take it from there.

It may not make any difference, but I prefer that my insurance company not find out about an accident, even if it's not my fault.

Basically, you are now filing a claim against your policy, and your insurance company will then get reimbursed by the other company. So the rules of your policy are what governs, since you are filing a claim on your policy. Hopefully your rates won't be affected.

Just stand firm. The problem now is that you have a middleman (your insurance company) between you and the company that's actually going to pay, so it makes it a little harder to negotiate things like this. You have to tell them (the other guy's insurance) that per the terms of his liability policy, you are supposed to be made whole and your car be at the state before the accident. And that includes an OEM bumper.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2016, 09:51 PM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by patents View Post
Why are you going through your insurance? You should have just called the other guy's insurance company, tell them you want to file a claim against his liability policy, and let them take it from there.

It may not make any difference, but I prefer that my insurance company not find out about an accident, even if it's not my fault.

Basically, you are now filing a claim against your policy, and your insurance company will then get reimbursed by the other company. So the rules of your policy are what governs, since you are filing a claim on your policy. Hopefully your rates won't be affected.

Just stand firm. The problem now is that you have a middleman (your insurance company) between you and the company that's actually going to pay, so it makes it a little harder to negotiate things like this. You have to tell them (the other guy's insurance) that per the terms of his liability policy, you are supposed to be made whole and your car be at the state before the accident. And that includes an OEM bumper.
Agree. I've been through this too. Unless absolutely necessary, always go with the insurer that is at fault and do not subrogate it to your insurance company. Your insurance company now will incur costs for administration of the claim with the other insurance company. Your insurance company does not recover those administration costs from the other insurance company, so they take it out of your claim.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:08 PM   #5
abrad2912
Rep
Drives: Lci 335i

I had a very similar incident. I argued for hours with both insurance companies that only an OEM bumper would fit properly based on my previous experience with aftermarket bumpers. They stuck with their story of "having years of body work experience and aftermarket parts fitting perfectly fine". After them refusing to use OEM parts I refused to accept the car due to shoddy fitment by the fenders, gaps not being consistent around headlights, grills not fitting flush. Honestly it looked fine, but all of these issues where noticeable. This lead them to replace with a proper fitting OEM bumper due to the fact they could not satisfy the customer. I took the same route as you are (using my insurance to cover the other parties liability). It did not effect my rates at all and I have found no repercussions from using my insurance. Sorry for the long post lol
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:52 PM   #6
Antony_correia11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i

Thanks for all the replies. I have USAA, so I have an actual agent that I am dealing with

I have news in my favor. The body shop, a very reputable one in my area heard about my predicament. I was going through the other parties insurance as well to see if they would pay for OEM

Well the body shop went above and beyond, and got their supplier (BMW dealership) to match the price of the aftermarket bumper for an OEM E90 bumper! I didn't even ask them to do this. I guess they really want my car out of the shop lol.

Overall, not satisfied with insurance companies (neither mine nor other parties) however it will work in my favor. I don't agree with the decision. I had an OEM bumper on my car, now put the same thing back on. If my transmission goes, you aren't going to put an aftermarket transition in.

And as I was not at fault, my rates will not be affected. I just chose to go through my insurance to expedite the process, as I find USAA to generally have very good response times

Thank you all for your replies.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 07:32 AM   #7
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Glad this is going to work out. I've heard not so good things about USAA so I don't use them (they have very patriotic commercials, but at the end of the day how business is conducted matters).

My agent swore the above would never happen, but he's never been tested, and it would not surprise me if he failed the test, like Santander and Deutsche Banks. He has been good and making 9% discounts appear out of thin air when I balk at the rates going up. We need insurance to be no games, run like the IRS or Dept. of State.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 09:01 AM   #8
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Years ago I asked my insurance company about how certain types of claims would affect my rates. They told me that certain claims would not cause my rates to go up, but they could prevent them from going down.

I'm really not sure how insurance companies really handle all this, but it's something else to think about.
Appreciate 0