BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > anyone tried the M-performance brake pads?

06-28-2016, 05:05 AM   #1
WFS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

anyone tried the M-performance brake pads?

For all of you who have taken your car on track how did the pads hold out?

Has anyone tried the performance pads and if you have whats your thoughts/experience of them?

I remember in the lauch event at Laguna Seca all the cars were fitted with the M-Performance brake pads they seemed to very noisey so probably not great for DD.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 06:33 AM   #2
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep

All race and performance pads are noisy.

It's common practice to switch between the pads when going to track.

I when to track two times so far, did two hot laps, and then two cold laps.

In 30+ minutes session pads strength didn't fade at all.

So these pads are perfect if yo're not tuning or planning to do more than few track days per year.
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2016, 08:39 AM   #3
WFS
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for that. I currently run carbotechs on my track car so pad squealing is something I'm familiar with.

I'm taking the m2 to the ring next month but trying to get a couple of uk days in prior to get a proper feel of the car. Having *ahem* few points on my licence means I'm driving around like miss daisy till they clock off so haven't really given her any stick yet and the small amount I have the brakes seem adequate but I'm a marketing man dream so the promise of increased bite and fade free has me intrigued.
Appreciate 3
      06-28-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash21 View Post
All race and performance pads are noisy.

It's common practice to switch between the pads when going to track.

I when to track two times so far, did two hot laps, and then two cold laps.

In 30+ minutes session pads strength didn't fade at all.

So these pads are perfect if yo're not tuning or planning to do more than few track days per year.
I agree. I did 5 sessions over 2 days. Each 20-25 minutes, and after learning the car during the first session, I would push it for the entire session, with one cool-down lap at the end. The pedal got maybe a touch soft towards the end, but there was no degradation in actual stopping.

I took a couple of the other instructors for rides, and the reaction was "These are the stock brakes? Seriously? Damn!"

To echo what you said above, for occasional track days, the stock pads are adequate.

Consider upgrading if you do a lot of track days, or if you're running sticky tires like Hoosiers, or if you've tuned the car for more power.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #5
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

It's interesting how some are noting that the stock pads are adequate for 30+ minute sessions, and others are saying that the stock pads are completely insufficient for track work and they shredded the stock pads within a few sessions.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #6
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBDrew View Post
It's interesting how some are noting that the stock pads are adequate for 30+ minute sessions, and others are saying that the stock pads are completely insufficient for track work and they shredded the stock pads within a few sessions.
To be fair, it depends on how you track it.

If you are pulling hot lap after hot lap and going heavy on the brakes, then the stocks won't last 2 sessions, hell maybe even one.

It's all a matter of driving style/skill - the more skilled drivers will undoubtedly be harsher on the brakes since they can push the car to the limit and thus will wear them out faster.
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #7
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post

If you are pulling hot lap after hot lap and going heavy on the brakes, then the stocks won't last 2 sessions, hell maybe even one.

It's all a matter of driving style/skill - the more skilled drivers will undoubtedly be harsher on the brakes since they can push the car to the limit and thus will wear them out faster.
Of course, of course. I would just take the "stock pads are fine for a couple track days per year" with a grain of salt if you're even a slightly experienced track driver
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #8
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post

What track were you on when you ran out of brakes?

I ran at High Plains Raceway, and in all but my first session, I was consistently braking from 130+ MPH to 70 for turn 4, and from almost 110 down to about 60 coming into turn 1. After 5 sessions I had no issues. I wasn't braking quite at "sprint race" levels, but more like I would for an enduro (I race an E36 M3 in GTS2).

I must say I was pleasantly surprised, my track-package 228 had more noticeable fade while going nowhere near as fast.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #9
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Maybe it was my lack of driving skills (advanced group with 10 years of regular track time) but I overheated the pads and left uneven deposits on my rotors requiring that they be replaced.

I checked a couple weeks back and the performance pads weren't available in the states. So I called Carbotech and they made me a set of xp10 and xp8 pads for front and rear. Haven't used them yet but will in 2 weeks.
      06-28-2016, 10:57 PM   #10
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2 View Post
Maybe it was my lack of driving skills (advanced group with 10 years of regular track time) but I overheated the pads and left uneven deposits on my rotors requiring that they be replaced.

I checked a couple weeks back and the performance pads weren't available in the states. So I called Carbotech and they made me a set of xp10 and xp8 pads for front and rear. Haven't used them yet but will in 2 weeks.
When I've encountered pad deposits, I've never replaced rotors because them, as they usually wear off. I go through too many rotors on my other car as it is. How long did you cool them down for? I generally take a full lap using no brakes, and then I'll maybe idle through the pits for a few minutes.

More importantly, did you experience any loss in brake performance? 'Cause about the only thing I noticed was a slightly softer pedal, but I could still stand the car on its nose.

Oh, what track was this at?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 06:10 AM   #11
WFS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Ahh that's very interesting. I'm surprised you used the two compounds, Is this the standard set up for the m3/m4??

In terms of tyres I run r888 on my other car but thought I thought I might go for cup2's on the M2
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 07:07 AM   #12
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvdh
Quote:

When I've encountered pad deposits, I've never replaced rotors because them, as they usually wear off. I go through too many rotors on my other car as it is. How long did you cool them down for? I generally take a full lap using no brakes, and then I'll maybe idle through the pits for a few minutes.

More importantly, did you experience any loss in brake performance? 'Cause about the only thing I noticed was a slightly softer pedal, but I could still stand the car on its nose.

Oh, what track was this at?
Full lap cool down always plus additional cool down off the track and before parking. Track was abcc. Also hoped that they would wear themselves away but after almost 30 days of severe judder I had the dealer address the problem. It was covered under warranty.
      06-29-2016, 07:15 AM   #13
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFS
Quote:

Ahh that's very interesting. I'm surprised you used the two compounds, Is this the standard set up for the m3/m4??

In terms of tyres I run r888 on my other car but thought I thought I might go for cup2's on the M2
Fairly common to use different front and rear pads since fronts have more load during hard braking and equal front and rear pads would be more likely to lock the rear brakes. I talked to Carbotech for quite some time and they steered me to this combo since I told them I was going to run stock tires until I wear them out and then upgrade to a grippier tire. They indicated if I went to a more aggressive xp12/10 combo it would be difficult to modulate the braking with stock tires causing premature lockup. In their words "frustrating and no fun".
      06-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #14
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Pagid RS29's have been very popular for the M3/M4 guys and will work just as well on the F87 M2 on the track. They make noise just like all the rest of the track pads so street use should be kept to a minimum. However, we do have customers running them all the time simply because they are doing track days 1-2 times a month very consistently.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #15
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep

Are you guys doing a flush before your first track day or just running on the stock fluid?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #16
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBDrew View Post
Are you guys doing a flush before your first track day or just running on the stock fluid?
If you are just doing a shake down, you should be okay. You will likely fade the pads before boiling your fluid. If you have the time to flush it out, it won't hurt. Just remember if you are using the standard high temp DOT it is best to do this flush before each event. With Castrol SRF, you can get away with just bleeding it before each even and flush once a year.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 05:40 PM   #17
Arcanum-UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i on Order

Having experienced major brake fade (long pedal, squeaking, grumbling, etc.) half-way down an alpine pass from Italy to Switzerland last weekend I'd be amazed if the stock pads could deal with a trackday at a circuit with a few heavy braking events.

On the pass I had one passenger and about 40kg of luggage, but I wasn't going hard (owing to the big fresh air drops to punish a mistake) and it was only about 15C. I was really surprised the brakes struggled so much.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #18
OLO-M2
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
If you are just doing a shake down, you should be okay.
What do you mean by a "shake down" ? Do you mean removing the fluid, filtering it, and filling again the same fluid ???
Or actually replacing the fluid ?

Sorry, English is not my mother tongue ;-)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #19
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLO-M2 View Post
What do you mean by a "shake down" ? Do you mean removing the fluid, filtering it, and filling again the same fluid ???
Or actually replacing the fluid ?

Sorry, English is not my mother tongue ;-)
Like a quick test day to get the feel of the car on the track.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #20
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Pagid RS29's have been very popular for the M3/M4 guys and will work just as well on the F87 M2 on the track. They make noise just like all the rest of the track pads so street use should be kept to a minimum. However, we do have customers running them all the time simply because they are doing track days 1-2 times a month very consistently.
Ok - so I can confirm that the stock pads on the M2 won't work for anyone who is an advanced or solo HPDE driver. The stock pads left me with uneven pad deposits on my rotors. Notwithstanding this issue I was 4 seconds faster at Watkins Glen than I was with my prior 235i.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to correct my rotor issue short of throwing new parts at the car.
      05-23-2017, 06:24 AM   #21
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Ok - so I can confirm that the stock pads on the M2 won't work for anyone who is an advanced or solo HPDE driver. The stock pads left me with uneven pad deposits on my rotors. Notwithstanding this issue I was 4 seconds faster at Watkins Glen than I was with my prior 235i.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to correct my rotor issue short of throwing new parts at the car.

You've got a few options:

a) Go to BMW and ask them to fix your issue. Up to you how you present this and how it's covered.
b) Invest in a rotor hone and try cleaning them up yourself.
c) Get someone to turn/machine the disks for you
d) replace all parts yourself.

I think anyone that's taken their M2 to the track has had similar issues to you, the stock pads just aren't upto serious track work. It's quite annoying the compound BMW are using.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      05-23-2017, 11:28 AM   #22
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Fairly common to use different front and rear pads since fronts have more load during hard braking and equal front and rear pads would be more likely to lock the rear brakes.
Agree.

I'm using M4 sport pads upfront and MP BBK pads in the rear on my MPBBK'd M135i.

Works a treat.
rich8566608.50