E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Another Varga Turbo Success Story

06-28-2016, 02:39 AM   #1
talhagursoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4 sDrive35i

Another Varga Turbo Success Story

Another experience from M4 owner, just posting this here if someone still considering getting one of these turbos.
It is also impressive how Pure handled the situation.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1278244

06-28-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

Ouch! I almost thought we'll go through a month w/o seeing a VTT failure thread. Oh Well..
2007 335i E92 MT | MFactory LSD | Diff Brace | MHD/Wedge Tuned| BL Coils | Stg2 lpfp BoostConcepts | VRSF DPs | VRSF 7" HD FMIC | DCI | VRSF CP | BMW SSK | Billstein PSS Coilovers | M3 Control Arms | Whiteline Rear SF Inserts | SS brake lines | Z4 35is Rotors | Hawk 5.0 pads | M219s + PSS | PE Mod -SOLD
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #3
AK.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E92 M3

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [10.00]
Damn, anotha one.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #4
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Anddd another ones gone, another ones gone, another one bites the dust..! HEY, VARGAS WILL GET YOU TOO, ANOTHER ONES BOUT TO BUST..!
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
Anddd another ones gone, another ones gone, another one bites the dust..! HEY, VARGAS WILL GET YOU TOO, ANOTHER ONES BOUT TO BUST..!
Lol..Just read it all in my head in Freddie Mercury's voice
2007 335i E92 MT | MFactory LSD | Diff Brace | MHD/Wedge Tuned| BL Coils | Stg2 lpfp BoostConcepts | VRSF DPs | VRSF 7" HD FMIC | DCI | VRSF CP | BMW SSK | Billstein PSS Coilovers | M3 Control Arms | Whiteline Rear SF Inserts | SS brake lines | Z4 35is Rotors | Hawk 5.0 pads | M219s + PSS | PE Mod -SOLD
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2016, 03:37 PM   #6
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzzzzzwik View Post
Lol..Just read it all in my head in Freddie Mercury's voice
lol that's how i typed it too.. envisioning the beer glasses on top of a piano and freddie bouncing around in his wife beater hahaha...!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 04:46 PM   #7
darkkevin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

unbelievable how horrible VTT is, wow
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 05:24 PM   #8
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

Guys,

This was our screwup, but it's also not the whole story. First of all, the inlet is absolutely CNC machined. The obvious rub mark is from compressor rub.

The bearing housings are also done by CNC, but it DOES look like a final finish pass was missed on a clearance area -not critical, but again, our mess up.

When this issue first came up, we immediately asked for the turbo back to do diagnosis. This opportunity was denied, so from that point forward there isn't much we could do, unfortunately.

Below is a copy and paste to what I wrote to Sami, the owner:

Quote:
Sami,

I'm very sorry to hear about the problems you had with your S55 turbos.

To answer some questions, the inlet is by all means not hand ported. Machining is done via CNC. The picture you posted shows clear compressor rub.

The bearing housings are also done by CNC, however, that is a clearance area, meaning no tolerance there -it just makes room for the wheel OD. It does look like they missed a finishing pass there -not a huge deal, however, not acceptable.

A proper diagnosis would have taken an in-person inspection, which I understand you chose to get done by Pure. Unfortunately, since you did not want to send the parts back to VTT, all we can do is speculate or repeat the words of a competitor -not a good situation for us.

Your history with Tony prior to this was good -it's also my understanding that Tony went out of his way to help you after you received some incorrect parts from Dodson, I believe Tony even paid international shipping out of pocket to try to help you out. Of course, that doesn't have anything to do with this, but it shows the background positive relationship between yourself and VTT. We would have appreciated the opportunity to continue that relationship.

At VTT we stand behind our products. The best case would have been for no failure to have occurred, but next best case would have been for us to be able to diagnose our own products and, as we mentioned to you via email, make sure you were taken care of.

Sorry for your troubles,

Chris
In the end failures do happen, and this is one of them. We were not allowed to do a diagnosis on the hardware, so the cause of the failure is unknown to us -our only choice being to look a few photos or listen to a competitors' diagnosis. Like I wrote to Sami, it's not a great spot for us to be in.

Should a failure happen, we absolutely do stand behind our products. Email me, PM me, post here, but reach out to me and I will do whatever I can to walk you through the process and help get you back up to speed as fast as possible.

Chris
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2016, 05:57 PM   #9
u's2drift
Private
Rep
Drives: Stock 07 335xi

Chris since Sam's posts in a different forum, can you give some back story. I've been waiting all day for you to address this.

From what Sam's posted, it seems that instead of recieving his $4500 back for his core, he worked out with Tony to send him the Dodson clutch instead, so if the order was messed up, Tony was the only one able to fix it since he was the purchaser.

Also he said he reach out to Tony and was told he sucked something up in his turbo and that's that. I'm sure if I spent $4500 on an upgrade, I'd want warranty to cover it. Maybe Pure gave a discount but there has to be something we are missing other than Sam's spending $8500 plus international shipping for upgraded turbos, however much on 2 installs because he decided not to send this turbos under warranty back.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #10
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
lol that's how i typed it too.. envisioning the beer glasses on top of a piano and freddie bouncing around in his wife beater hahaha...!
LMAO...in the mean time the poor customer's going....Is this the real life, is this just fantasy. Caught in a landslide. No escape from reality.....
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2016, 06:18 PM   #11
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep

I see Chirs has done his part. But cant do others job for them. Clearly QC was neglected.

Its clear VTT has much better representation now, but the only way to make a good name would be ensure there are more fairy tale endings, ans less nightmare stories.
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 06:22 PM   #12
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by u's2drift View Post
Chris since Sam's posts in a different forum, can you give some back story. I've been waiting all day for you to address this.

From what Sam's posted, it seems that instead of recieving his $4500 back for his core, he worked out with Tony to send him the Dodson clutch instead, so if the order was messed up, Tony was the only one able to fix it since he was the purchaser.

Also he said he reach out to Tony and was told he sucked something up in his turbo and that's that. I'm sure if I spent $4500 on an upgrade, I'd want warranty to cover it. Maybe Pure gave a discount but there has to be something we are missing other than Sam's spending $8500 plus international shipping for upgraded turbos, however much on 2 installs because he decided not to send this turbos under warranty back.
I'm not sure about the core money vs. Dodson clutches deal, but I'm informed that Dodson sent Tony the wrong parts -instead of dealing with the bureaucracy, Tony just paid out of pocket international shipping to fix it. I'm not sure he really had another option. It was not Sami's fault, but shows good will on Tony's part -nothing more.

He did say ingestion damage, and that's what it looked like. First pass is a wild-ass guess based on what limited information we get from the customer and our experience. The first report to Tony DID look like it was foreign object type damage, but that's internet guessing until you can handle the hardware and inspect yourself. The offer was made to the customer to return the turbo and we'd inspect it and determine the cause of damage (this is the same for all turbo mfg's). The right way to do the diagnosis IS in-person. This opportunity was denied us.

The customer struck up a deal with a competitor to have them evaluate our turbos and rebuild/repair/replace (I'm not sure the details and don't want to speak out of line) and Sami chose to do that instead of trusting us to repair correctly, even if our option would have been covered under warranty. I believe at that point Sami lost faith in us as a company, unfortunately. We would have liked the opportunity to fix our mistake.

That's my understanding to date.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #13
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzzzzzwik View Post
LMAO...in the mean time the poor customer's going....Is this the real life, is this just fantasy. Caught in a landslide. No escape from reality.....
lmfao..!!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 08:30 PM   #14
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

So when such a part is deemed a quality control issue, is the labor necessary for having to change it out a second time covered? This question applies to all turbo manufacturers, not just VTT.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #15
Sshec152
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
So when such a part is deemed a quality control issue, is the labor necessary for having to change it out a second time covered? This question applies to all turbo manufacturers, not just VTT.
Personally I think that should be the case, but unfortunately it usually isn't. Being an automotive technician, i can tell you, NOTHING is more frustrating than replacing a part only to have been given a defective one. I once went through 3 defective starters, before finally getting a working one. We no longer use that vendor after they refused to pay the labor
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 09:00 PM   #16
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Tony should have hired Chris 2-3 years ago. Imagine how much $$ VTT has lost due to his horrendous behavior and antics on these forums.

I feel for Chris...cleaning up the trail of hatred, cynicism, bad reviews, dedicated hyper-trolls and angry customers is no easy task. Will take a dedicated, consistent effort to put all that toothpaste back in the tube!

Hang in there, Chris! You're doing a good so far, sir.
Appreciate 2