E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > tuning help needed with jb4 and vrsf 3" catless dp's

06-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #1
Bangdrum
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i

Question tuning help needed with jb4 and vrsf 3" catless dp's

Hello all. This is my first post as I'm new to tuning and trying to learn as I go along. I've had the jb4 with BMS DCI's installed and running good for about 4 months or so. No codes or headaches, just pleasure! I always use map 5 because I'm not sure if map 1 and 2 would be safe with the 91 octane we have here in California....

Spring forward to this last Saturday, I installed my new VRSF 3" catless dp's myself with the help of a video from the guy's over at AR. Drove about 200 miles on them so far (still in map 5) and today I got the service engine soon light on the way home from work. I was just cruising on the freeway around 75mph when I noticed it. The car seemed to bog a bit at low rpms. Got home and instantly got the codes off with the jb4.

2D2E Angle of throttle valve - intake pipe underpressure, correlation

2A17 DMTL diagnosis module tank leakage, system failure

29F4 Catless Downpipes Detected

29F5 Catless Downpipes Detected

I'm not real sure what I should do from here and would greatly appreciate any advice! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
Sshec152
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

The 2 catless downpipe detected codes are normal. Clear the codes and see what comes back, if any, then start your diag from there.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 08:58 PM   #3
samuelmccarthy13
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e90 2007 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sshec152 View Post
The 2 catless downpipe detected codes are normal. Clear the codes and see what comes back, if any, then start your diag from there.
+1 the two catless DP codes are shadow codes and dont need to be worried about. As for the other two, do a quick search for BMW e90 08 codes and there are plenty of threads on N54 tech that resolve these issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 09:08 PM   #4
V8bait
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangdrum View Post
Hello all. This is my first post as I'm new to tuning and trying to learn as I go along. I've had the jb4 with BMS DCI's installed and running good for about 4 months or so. No codes or headaches, just pleasure! I always use map 5 because I'm not sure if map 1 and 2 would be safe with the 91 octane we have here in California....

Spring forward to this last Saturday, I installed my new VRSF 3" catless dp's myself with the help of a video from the guy's over at AR. Drove about 200 miles on them so far (still in map 5) and today I got the service engine soon light on the way home from work. I was just cruising on the freeway around 75mph when I noticed it. The car seemed to bog a bit at low rpms. Got home and instantly got the codes off with the jb4.

2D2E Angle of throttle valve - intake pipe underpressure, correlation

2A17 DMTL diagnosis module tank leakage, system failure

29F4 Catless Downpipes Detected

29F5 Catless Downpipes Detected

I'm not real sure what I should do from here and would greatly appreciate any advice! Thanks
Put the cats back in, you're in Cali and you're being illegal.

Also, backend flash. I'll get you started.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 10:45 PM   #5
Bangdrum
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8bait View Post
Put the cats back in, you're in Cali and you're being illegal.

Also, backend flash. I'll get you started.
Hey I still have secondaries! thanks for the link. I'll have to do some reading because I'm not real sure what back end flashing is. I was under the assumption that it was for more aggressive tunings (more than just downpipes and dci's)

I just took the car for a drive and upon initial take off, I was getting a good amount of smoke out of the tail pipes but no codes.(smelled like fuel). Once I started going though the smoke stopped. I had the Hpfp replaced right before I installed the jb4. I'm thinking I should change my jb4 user settings back to default and let it relearn the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 10:49 PM   #6
Bangdrum
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelmccarthy13 View Post
+1 the two catless DP codes are shadow codes and dont need to be worried about. As for the other two, do a quick search for BMW e90 08 codes and there are plenty of threads on N54 tech that resolve these issues.
Thank you. Yea I was expecting the dp codes but the other two kind of scared me. I found that for the intake code, resetting it may just do the trick. If not, setting the jb4 user settings back to default hopefully fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 11:35 PM   #7
samuelmccarthy13
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hey I still have secondaries! thanks for the link. I'll have to do some reading because I'm not real sure what back end flashing is. I was under the assumption that it was for more aggressive tunings (more than just downpipes and dci's)

I just took the car for a drive and upon initial take off, I was getting a good amount of smoke out of the tail pipes but no codes.(smelled like fuel). Once I started going though the smoke stopped. I had the Hpfp replaced right before I installed the jb4. I'm thinking I should change my jb4 user settings back to default and let it relearn the car?
A little smoke is always expected when changing to catless DP's. I also run JB4, have very similar mods to you. I run my Jb4 in map 2 (after I got DP's). If you're looking into a Backend flash, I would suggest reading up on the forums about JB4 stakced with MHD Pump Fuel BEF. There are many many threads on it.

As for the reset, no real point. You could do a 1/7 reset through the steering wheel options on the JB4.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 11:38 PM   #8
Bangdrum
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A little smoke is always expected when changing to catless DP's. I also run JB4, have very similar mods to you. I run my Jb4 in map 2 (after I got DP's). If you're looking into a Backend flash, I would suggest reading up on the forums about JB4 stakced with MHD Pump Fuel BEF. There are many many threads on it.

As for the reset, no real point. You could do a 1/7 reset through the steering wheel options on the JB4.
Are you running 91 octane too? That's the only reason why I haven't tried map 2
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 11:49 PM   #9
samuelmccarthy13
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Are you running 91 octane too? That's the only reason why I haven't tried map 2
Im from Australia so I use 98RON fuel which (correct me if I'm wrong) equates to around 93 octance. But running map 2 on 91 octane is fine. If you're still hesitant, run on map 5 first and see how you like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 11:58 PM   #10
Bangdrum
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Im from Australia so I use 98RON fuel which (correct me if I'm wrong) equates to around 93 octance. But running map 2 on 91 octane is fine. If you're still hesitant, run on map 5 first and see how you like that.
I've been on map 5 since I first got the box and intakes, but the thought of it constantly retuning kind of erks me. I know others do it just fine but a more consistent tune would make me feel better. I wish we had 93!
Appreciate 0