2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Xpel being sued by 3M

Anyone know more about this? They have a full fender and full hood pattern for the M2 while others don't. A little worried they'll be sued out of business. Any thoughts or info?
      06-23-2016, 10:00 PM   #2
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Anyone know more about this? They have a full fender and full hood pattern for the M2 while others don't. A little worried they'll be sued out of business. Any thoughts or info?
Regardless of the result of the lawsuit, XPEL does amazing work and sells a quality product. I would definitely do business with them again. For the sake of the health of the industry, I hope 3M drops the suit or loses. Worst case scenario, they're not around for your next car. But for this one, no reason not to go with the best.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2016, 04:54 AM   #3
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Regardless of the result of the lawsuit, XPEL does amazing work and sells a quality product. I would definitely do business with them again. For the sake of the health of the industry, I hope 3M drops the suit or loses. Worst case scenario, they're not around for your next car. But for this one, no reason not to go with the best.
Appreciate the input thanks.
      06-24-2016, 05:42 AM   #4
Chills
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 DCT

I'm considering Xpel and a large part of the attraction is their guarantee... If they go under presumably the guarantee would go with them.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 07:12 AM   #5
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills View Post
I'm considering Xpel and a large part of the attraction is their guarantee... If they go under presumably the guarantee would go with them.

Does the guarantee cover labor too? If not, it's not much of a guarnatee as most of the cost is in the labor is my understanding.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 07:16 AM   #6
Chills
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 DCT

Yep, includes labour...

From their website "XPEL ULTIMATE also comes with a full 10-year warranty against yellowing, discoloration, peeling, cracking and hazing. If it fails, we’ll replace it—labor included"
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 07:24 AM   #7
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills View Post

Does the guarantee cover labor too? If not, it's not much of a guarnatee as most of the cost is in the labor is my understanding.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #8
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

it seems to be a patent infringement claim by 3m:

http://www.windowfilmmag.com/2016/01...-infringement/
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 11:26 AM   #9
oolas3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
it seems to be a patent infringement claim by 3m:

http://www.windowfilmmag.com/2016/01...-infringement/

If there's any truth to this, 3M will crush them. Xpel isn't a small company, it is a minuscule company. 3M has very deep pockets to see this to the end.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #10
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr View Post
If there's any truth to this, 3M will crush them. Xpel isn't a small company, it is a minuscule company. 3M has very deep pockets to see this to the end.
Thats really sad. I hate when companies do that. They feel intimidated because xpel is a better product and with all their size and resources they can't beat them fairly so they bury them in legal... hopefully the case gets dismissed on merit - probably xpel's only chance.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 12:21 PM   #11
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Thats really sad. I hate when companies do that. They feel intimidated because xpel is a better product and with all their size and resources they can't beat them fairly so they bury them in legal... hopefully the case gets dismissed on merit - probably xpel's only chance.
Well, if Xpel really did use patented techniques they had it coming.
Appreciate 2
      06-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #12
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #13
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
Do you think they did or would? I honestly think its bullying as xpel has been around for awhile now and top notch across the board for quality and reviews. It was what I wanted for my car when it arrived. Did it take 3M this long to "figure out" xpel was copying their tech? Just seems odd is all.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 01:18 PM   #14
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Do you think they did or would? I honestly think its bullying as xpel has been around for awhile now and top notch across the board for quality and reviews. It was what I wanted for my car when it arrived. Did it take 3M this long to "figure out" xpel was copying their tech? Just seems odd is all.
I am a patent attorney (as well as a certified Xpel installer). It's wrong to assume the suit is bullying based on the time it took 3M to sue. Patent suits are massively expensive, and not something that most companies engage in frivolously. We have no idea how much negotiation and correspondence took place between the two companies and/or their counsel prior to suit being filed, either. Also, without seeing the patent claims, it's hard to judge how easy it would be to determine whether Xpel might be infringing. It is especially difficult to determine infringement of method claims if there is no easy access to a competitor's manufacturing facilities/processes. 3M has been in the game a long time, and it would not surprise me if they have some older, very broad patents covering PPF which, although XPEL may have improved upon, may still be infringed. That being said, Xpel is a great product with great customer service, and I sincerely hope they come out of the suit in good shape.
Appreciate 3
WI_Rob93.50
      06-25-2016, 06:30 PM   #15
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHairsto View Post
I am a patent attorney (as well as a certified Xpel installer). It's wrong to assume the suit is bullying based on the time it took 3M to sue. Patent suits are massively expensive, and not something that most companies engage in frivolously. We have no idea how much negotiation and correspondence took place between the two companies and/or their counsel prior to suit being filed, either. Also, without seeing the patent claims, it's hard to judge how easy it would be to determine whether Xpel might be infringing. It is especially difficult to determine infringement of method claims if there is no easy access to a competitor's manufacturing facilities/processes. 3M has been in the game a long time, and it would not surprise me if they have some older, very broad patents covering PPF which, although XPEL may have improved upon, may still be infringed. That being said, Xpel is a great product with great customer service, and I sincerely hope they come out of the suit in good shape.
makes sense - thanks. It's really too bad some ancient patent can apply to a really good process or improvement by xpel. At the end of the day its ppf, its a film product.. pretty basic stuff and I don't think it's fair 3m can hit xpel just because they are doing well and have the best product. I'm not familiar at all with patent law but to me that doesn't seem to be justice to hold a product or small company back from a great idea just because its similar to the giant that is 3m.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 07:17 PM   #16
oolas3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHairsto View Post

Good feedback. There can't be that many patent attorneys that are also xpel certiifed installers!
Appreciate 3
      06-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #17
jpics80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 - Alpine White

oh wow thats nuts.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 08:28 PM   #18
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
At the end of the day its ppf, its a film product.. pretty basic stuff and I don't think it's fair 3m can hit xpel just because they are doing well and have the best product. I'm not familiar at all with patent law but to me that doesn't seem to be justice to hold a product or small company back from a great idea just because its similar to the giant that is 3m.
That's not how it works. It's about protecting intellectual property rights. If others (regardless whether big or small entities) want to benefit from your patented technology (which possibly required quite some R&D investment), they require your permission (mostly through license agreements stipulating the payment of royalties).

Patent lawsuits are often very technical and complex, with the patent holder fiercely fighting to get confirmed what he believes to be his right(s), while his rival battles back to get confirmed that the patent holder's claims are ill-founded. Actually, you could say that it's a fight about (threatened) monopoly, competition and (market share) money. Losing the lawsuit can be painful for each party if it's related to their core business. Sometimes, in the end, patent lawsuits are settled out of court.

I don't know anything about the merits of the 3M / XPEL lawsuit, so can by no means make sound statements about it.
      07-04-2016, 09:38 PM   #19
SpeedandTechM
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36 M3s, e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr View Post
Good feedback. There can't be that many patent attorneys that are also xpel certiifed installers!
Nope, i think Brian would be 1 in a billion.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #20
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Not a patent attorney (or an Xpel installer!) but I buy and sell companies for a living and IP ownership and defense is not something these guys take lightly. IP attorneys are a special breed of people that shit gets very complicated and very detailed very quickly.

Hopefully if there is some merit to the claim some sort of licensing arrangement could be worked out as opposed to Xpel going under over this. All depends on exactly what, if anything, is the precise issue. Unfortunately for them it's not a scenario where the end customer would demand a dual source for supply chain purposes and pressure 3M to allow Xpel to stay in the game.
Appreciate 0