E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Lets talk handbrake issues.

06-23-2016, 06:36 AM   #1
WARDOG13
Rep
Drives: 335d

Lets talk handbrake issues.

Hey Guys.

So my E90 has been playing up. I've been having an issue with my handbrake where it doesn't appear to be releasing correctly. If I drive I can here a squeak coming from the back and the wheels are rather hot after a bit of a drive. I adjusted it about a month back for this same issue. I ended up having to get a mobile mechanic around to get the left rear disc off as the shoes had become so tight but when we inspected the shoes they were fine. Cleaned both sides and reset the adjustments, all was fine until I did a 30 mile high speed run down the M4, within a few miles I got the same vibration I used to get from the rear from the handbrake not releasing, this has now developed into the same problem I had.

My mind makes me think its possibly the cables or we adjusted them incorrectly.

Anyone got any ideas, is this a common E90 issue. I've lived with E36s my whole life so this car is all one big learning curve for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 01:37 PM   #2
Leah1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d m sport

Recently has this too mate, but not sure exactly what was causing mine, I took of the discs dremeled all the rust off the inner part where handbrake works on it was very badly rusted but saved them and they came up good as new. Then also discovered the runner dust cover of the caliper piston the metal ring that holds it on had rusted away. Causing small bits of rust debris to make the piston stick on a refurb kit sorted this. Also new sliders and PROPER grease not copper grease
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 08:24 AM   #3
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

mine does this too, though it doesnt get hot, and frees off after a short drive, or if you reverse.

However the handbrake barely works, and when i tried to adjust it up it did then stick on and got so hot there was smoke pouring off it.

I put the adjustment back to where it was and have been ignoring it for months but i really should get it sorted.

I recon its a sticking cable, or maybe some of the springs arent right inside and arent releasing properly.
Appreciate 0