E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > bmw e90 limp mode problem

06-23-2016, 01:47 AM   #1
bmdave
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320i

bmw e90 limp mode problem

Hi all,
I have a problem where limp mode (big half engine light) comes on every few days and usually in the same spot on the way to work.
I have to pull over,switch off then on then im on my way.
Once it did come on and i could not reset for weeks.i swapped pedal for another from same model and did clear it.but 100m down street come back on.i then put old pedal back in and was fine for a few days till it happen again.
I have been to bmw and 3 differnt mechanics but no one can find the fault.
I did connect scan tool when it happen once and codes...
2d1a, 2d1b and 2d1c come up and were the only codes that come up which leads to accelerator pedal.
I was also advised to change throttle body which i have done but did not help the problem.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 09:28 AM   #2
jwilalex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 318i LCI SE Business Edn

If I were you I'd (or have mechanic do for you) remove the camshaft intake sensor and clean it of all the oil and sludge build up. Whilst there do the outlet sensor which is just next door. Reason I say that because just this week I had BMW emergency service out for reduce power fault that twice in a row lit up the warning EML at exactly same place on way to work.

Technician said it was quite common and his box of tricks led him to the intake sensor. Sure enough it was caked and once cleaned popped back in. Although box of tricks didn't say do the outlet sensor he did it anyway as it made sense. It to needed a clean but was nowhere near as bad as the intake side.

Car has been perfect since then, also runs a whole lot better.

Look here for DIY:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech..._Replacing.htm

BMW tech did both without removing the air bits and pieces, just had to remove the electrical plugs and their bracket/holder out the way a couple of inches. Start to finish 30 mins.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 06:17 AM   #3
bmdave
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320i

Jwilalex,
Thanks for the suggestion.
I cleaned vanos solanoids 3 weeks ago and was fine for 3 weeks then went into limp few days ago.
I looked and oil was all over the electrical plugs due to a faulty o ring.i replaced o ring and cleaned elec plugs and hopping it fixes it.
I will definatley try what you suggested though and ill get back to you with the results.
Appreciate 0