THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications CNAUTOFANS Carbon Fiber Diffuser (Install Review)

06-22-2016, 10:24 PM   #1
skitsos
Police Magnet
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i (F22)

CNAUTOFANS Carbon Fiber Diffuser (Install Review)

Since there's a review of the spoiler on here, I might as well review the diffuser, since it seems like nobody has gone with the CNAUTOFANS version on here.

I ordered the diffuser on June 1st and arrived June 17th (kinda long lol), installed today (June 22nd). Diffuser is $350, plus $80 (shipping), equals $430 TOTAL.

Packaging is quality! After unboxing, I inspected the diffuser, carbon fiber weave looks great, clear coat layer looks great, vents look great, tab clips/mounts look OK.

I also installed a brand new rear bumper cover, because my original had been hit and run left with bad damage. As you can see in the pics, my car is without tail lights and bumper. The removal of the bumper/diffuser and tail light assembly is actually very easy.

So first I removed the assembly mentioned in the previous paragraph, as you can see in the pictures. Then I installed the new bumper.

This is where things get rough... The fitment of the diffuser isn't the best, but for the really low price, you have to make sacrifices. However, I DID get things to work. Some clips on the diffuser weren't accurate with where the slots in the bumper. Some clips of the diffuser were too big. My solution was taking some sand paper and grinding the sides of the clips that needed adjustment, to reduce the width, so they would fit in place. Finally after altering a few clips, the diffuser was able to fit, but still with a good amount of elbow grease. What also made things easier is having a second set of hands to help you out. Luckily my girlfriend was nice enough to help me despite my frustration lmao. Then the tabs underneath the car where you fasten the diffuser to the car with screws weren't exactly lined up, which required a lot of force. It doesn't really help that dry carbon fiber is non-malleable

After all the struggle, I swapped the reflectors from the old bumper assembly, put all the screws back, reassembled the tail lights to the car and sat back to admire my few hours of sweaty work with my dirty hands that had a few cuts and blisters on my finger tips lol.

To round things up, would I recommend this diffuser? Despite the struggle of the install, for such a low price, YES! I have heard and believe that CNAUTOFANS and RW Carbon receive inventory from the same manufacturer. RW Carbon just charges more because they have more product on-hand and they are located in the states, which reduces ship time by A LOT, as for CNAUTOFANS that is located in China. I believe RW also quality checks each product before shipping, I guess for piece of mind or something lol, but I don't find that reasonable to add a few more $100s! If you are fine with making some small adjustments to the diffuser, in case fitment isn't perfect, then I would say go with CNAUTOFANS! As for quality, it is obviously too early to tell, since there needs to be a long-run test for this product.

I will continue to update this thread as time passes, to show the quality of this product. The car is parked in a garage, I wash it weekly, and always wax, using a thicker layer of wax on the carbon fiber pieces, to protect the clear coat from yellowing/cracking.

Thanks for looking!
(sorry for such a long write-up lol).
Attached Images

06-22-2016, 10:26 PM   #2
skitsos
Police Magnet
United_States
Rep

Bumper cover/tail light assembly uninstalled:
Attached Images

06-23-2016, 01:21 AM   #3
siwo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i RWD 6MT

Garage List
Oh man, removal of bumper + rear lights for the diffuser to be installed? I'd be worried that I'd scratch up the bumper or body while removal or re-install! ..no one to help me.. wife is busy & 4yo won't be of any help for sure, make things worst! lol
2004 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
1993 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 01:22 AM   #4
siwo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i RWD 6MT

Garage List
Great write up btw, love the pics. The CF diffuser looks sharp too! And the price is undeniably cheap. Good job.
2004 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
1993 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 08:41 AM   #5
skitsos
Police Magnet
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by siwo
Oh man, removal of bumper + rear lights for the diffuser to be installed? I'd be worried that I'd scratch up the bumper or body while removal or re-install! ..no one to help me.. wife is busy & 4yo won't be of any help for sure, make things worst! lol
Removal of rear bumper cover/tail light assembly is not required lol! I did it because I was replacing my original bumper since it had a huge crack in it from a hit-and-run incident
      06-23-2016, 08:48 AM   #6
skitsos
Police Magnet
United_States
Rep

Also, if anybody is wondering, the exhaust tips are 4"
      06-23-2016, 10:28 PM   #7
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

I want this NOW
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 10:47 PM   #8
skitsos
Police Magnet
United_States
Rep

Here's the link to the diffuser:
http://www.cnautofans.com/products/c...-0409-686.html

I also ordered the spoiler last night! Here's the link to that:
http://www.cnautofans.com/products/c...-0410-687.html
      06-24-2016, 03:49 AM   #9
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitsos
Here's the link to the diffuser:
http://www.cnautofans.com/products/c...-0409-686.html

I also ordered the spoiler last night! Here's the link to that:
http://www.cnautofans.com/products/c...-0410-687.html
Thanks man, wow that is gonna look great. Btw did the rear diffuser come with screws for installation?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 09:05 AM   #10
skitsos
Police Magnet
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoo
Thanks man, wow that is gonna look great. Btw did the rear diffuser come with screws for installation?
No problem! I agree, the outcome will look dirty

To answer your question, no the diffuser does not come with any screws, you re-use the screws that hold the stock diffuser/valence in place. There are 10 total screws that help hold the diffuser in place, along with the clips. The screws are located at the bottom. there are 3 screws on both the far left and right sides of the diffuser, near the vent area. Then there are 4 screws located in between the exhaust tips (these mount the diffuser to the heat shield). Finally there are 2 black screw-looking pins, one located on the left side, one on the right, that also hold the diffuser to the bumper.
      06-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #11
kevinh211
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Nice write up!
I was looking at this diffuser a couple weeks ago but ended up going the M Performance one.
Does this fit with the extended M Performance muffler tips? Did you have to extend you muffler tips?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 10:59 AM   #12
skitsos
Police Magnet
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinh211
Nice write up!
I was looking at this diffuser a couple weeks ago but ended up going the M Performance one.
Does this fit with the extended M Performance muffler tips? Did you have to extend you muffler tips?
Thanks man! Here's my setup for the exhaust tips:

The inlet for these tips are 2.5", the M235i size tip-pipe is 2.25", slightly smaller. I had my local muffler shop cut the 2.25" pipe out and weld on a pipe with 2.5" diameter, so the ECS tips would bolt on. Even after bolting them on as tight as we could go, the tips still were wobbling a little, so we made a couple of tiny weld spots to secure the ECS tip to the exhaust piping.

ECS tips link:
https://www.ecstuning.com/News/BMW_E...863/ES2918636/

As for what you're asking, I would say yes, the M-Performance exhaust tips and extenders will fit perfectly fine with the diffuser!
      07-02-2016, 12:04 AM   #13
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Yep that looks identical to my RW Carbon diffuser and I had the same fitment issues as you. Its like 90% in that regard, but for the price I can't complain.

As for the exhaust extenders they make the tips stick out WAY too far with this diffuser. I cut about 2" off of each of the extenders and look how far out the tips still sit. I'm gonna have to cut some more and hope I can get them to fit with the clamps and tips as there isn't a ton of room back there.

This is from yesterday when I installed my M Performance front splitter and finally threw the extensions on that I'd had for a year but was too lazy to do until now.

Front splitter looking amazing and fitting perfectly (as it should for a genuine M Performance part

The sticking quite a bit more than they should tips even though they have been cut way down

If I feel up to it I'll put it on the lift tomorrow and finally get the tips sorted out properly. Just imagine how ridiculous they looked before I chopped 2" off
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 12:08 AM   #14
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Also how hard was it to pull your bumper and taillights off? I might just resort to doing that to make it easy to clean out how much crap gets stuck in the hinges/rubber bits of the headlights that stick up back there. If there was one area of the 2 series that BMW really did a horrible job with, its the taillights and the surrounding area with the trunk hinges. I've already had to have the left taillight replaced due to moisture getting inside, and other owners have had other issues in regards to the taillights. I guess its a good sign that the worst we have to complain about with our cars are the taillights and related areas.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 12:31 AM   #15
skitsos
Police Magnet
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBucket
Also how hard was it to pull your bumper and taillights off? I might just resort to doing that to make it easy to clean out how much crap gets stuck in the hinges/rubber bits of the headlights that stick up back there. If there was one area of the 2 series that BMW really did a horrible job with, its the taillights and the surrounding area with the trunk hinges. I've already had to have the left taillight replaced due to moisture getting inside, and other owners have had other issues in regards to the taillights. I guess its a good sign that the worst we have to complain about with our cars are the taillights and related areas.
This is what helped me with the removal of my bumper assembly: http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/attac...7&d=1413457548

The thing is, this is a DIY for the F20 (M135i), but the body style is very similar. The only differences I found, was that there's 1 less screw in the fender liner that you need to remove, and there are 4 extra screws under the car, that mount the diffuser to the heat shield. Another difference, was that the F22 (M235i) has nuts that need to be removed from each tail light, versus only 1 for the F20. I hope this helped. It should be very easy to follow the guide though. Just study it, then study your car before performing this to make sure you know where to improvise since the guide is for the F20.
      05-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #16
OC2024X5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Is that the spoiler off of CN in your most recent pics above? If so, could you provide some feedback on the spoiler quality, look etc? More pics would also be nice!

Thank you!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 01:26 PM   #17
Cars
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayan1983 View Post
Is that the spoiler off of CN in your most recent pics above? If so, could you provide some feedback on the spoiler quality, look etc? More pics would also be nice!

Thank you!!!
Judging by his recent pics, that spoiler is not the one he linked us to in post #8. Looks more like the OEM M sport spoiler to me.

He may have meant to link this one : http://www.cnautofans.com/products/c...-0347-622.html
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #18
mahyarv14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
How has this diffuser held up so far? Do you have any pictures of it now, after a year?
Appreciate 0