E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > CCC Pro Nav - Audio intermittently cutting out?

06-21-2016, 07:25 AM   #1
trickadero
Rep
Drives: e90 330i M Sport (06)

CCC Pro Nav - Audio intermittently cutting out?

Hi,

I've not long had my 06 330 and am having an intermittent issue with the stereo which I was wondering if anyone had come across previously.

The cars got CCC pro nav. Sometimes the audio will cut out for a brief period - 2-3 seconds or so - before coming back for a slightly longer period - 5 seconds or so. This cycle will then repeat continuously.

This occurs seemingly at random, either from the the beginning of a trip or mid way through. I normally just turn off the radio and everything will be fine the next time I come to drive the car. On a long trip, 3 hours or more, I might turn the stereo back on later in the journey (without having stopped the car) and everything will be fine again.

The audio cuts out on the radio and the aux-in, I've not tested with the CD but assume it'll be the same.

The cars got bluetooth and the issue occurs with bluetooth connected or disconnected to my phone.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is it worth having the car software updated perhaps as I don't think it's ever had an update. Could it be to do with the bluetooth as this seems to be a common source of faults?

Any help appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 04:03 AM   #2
kitt1980
Rep
Drives: E91 320d M Sport 2007

I know when mine stopped working it was because I had unplugged a cable under the glovebox when getting to the blower fan ( advised on here after posting)

Maybe check to see if its not loose
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #3
hondarayblue
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport

First step would be a system reboot. Press and hold the eject and voume button for 30 seconds. If that doesn't work, get your battery checked.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 06:24 AM   #4
trickadero
Rep

Thanks both,

I've given it a reboot so will see if that fixes the issue.

The battery is new so I don't suspect that to be the root cause.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 11:49 PM   #5
MW
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Exclusive

Has the problem been solved?

I am experiencing the same issue. Radio/CD/Aux sound will go away and come back at random. Resetting the CCC does not remedy the problem. In my case the temperature does not seem to play any role. Winter or summer, there is little if any change.

On another thread this problem has been described as a fault in one of the networked audio components. In the specific example the TCU (bluetooth voice command unit) was replaced which sorted out the problem. That sounds like an expensive shot in the dark if you are not 100% certain.

The car starts fine - I have no idea how much power that requires from the battery. Can the battery cause this problem if it still starts the car easily? How do you test that the battery is in good enough condition?

One more possibility I thought of, maybe it is a long-shot: If there is a 90 degree turn in the fibre optic audio cable and the turn radius is too small, could this be causing intermittent loss of audio? At warmer temps this angle might become more acute if the is nowhere for the fibre cable to go when it is expanding length-wise.

Thanks for any feedback.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 07:48 AM   #6
bytejunkie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post

On another thread this problem has been described as a fault in one of the networked audio components. In the specific example the TCU (bluetooth voice command unit) was replaced which sorted out the problem. That sounds like an expensive shot in the dark if you are not 100% certain.
put a most loop terminator in place of the component you suspect is faulty. though a tcu or mulf will usually show its broken when the phone stops working.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #7
trickadero
Rep

Hi,

I've not been using the car much recently, not for long trips anyway, so while I've not had the issue occur recently I couldn't confidently say it has been resolved.

If it has resolved it has done so itself as I've done nothing to remedy it. I tried a reboot of the CCC, but that didn't make a difference.

I do have a new phone so there's a possibility that could have improved things in my instance (went from Sony to Samsung if relevant).

Agreed on a TCU issue being a possibility, my searches probably led me to the same results your's did. If the issue re-surfaces for me the first thing I'm going to try is a software update for the car. If that doesn't work then I'll look into how to diagnose a TCU issue further.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 02:06 PM   #8
anees
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Sport

Exact same issues with mine. My old MULF unit had given up the ghost.

Replaced it with a MULF2 unit, coded car and job done.

Just remembered, it also affected the rear PDC as well.

Last edited by anees; 10-11-2016 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: added in PDC information
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 10:58 AM   #9
MW
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Exclusive

I unplugged the MULF unit - all audio now perfect. I do not use the bluetooth functionality, so I will leave it as is. Thanks for the help!!!
Appreciate 0