E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Custom light help -- CANBUS help please

06-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #1
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

Custom light help -- CANBUS help please

Hi guys

I'm in the process of making some custom headlights for my pre-LCI E90. They are going to have projectors fitted therefore I will be fitting some HIDS to them. I decided to go for 5000k to keep the OEM White rather than blueish.

I thought I'd test them in my car to check the function and to make sure the colour is what I want but I seem to be having issues with them.

Whilst the engine is switched off they function perfectly, correct colour and will be ideal for my build - they don't even give dash errors.

However if I start the engine they dim right down and flicker like mad - anyone know why this is?

I have Carly so if I buy their dongle and code out the voltage check will this fix it?

Second question is I've also purchased LED indicator bulbs and the fronts are fine, no bulb warnings however the rears run at double speed and give errors.. Why is this as they both run on the canbus check? Again if I code out voltage check will they flash at the normal speed?

Thanks in advance

Jordan
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 06:13 AM   #2
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Anyone able to help?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #3
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Do they flicker continuously or just on startup?

If it's just on startup then you may be able to get away with just disabling cold and warm checks.

If continuous I guess it's to do with PWM voltage in which case you'll need to wiring them to an independent 12v power source rather than using the cars pulse width modulation.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi,

It's continuous, they are perfect without the engine running however when I start it they just dim and pulse like mad.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi guys

So I decided to try some eBay cancellers/decoders/capacitors from eBay... They've cured the flickering however now they come on then turn off after a minute and won't work again until I take the key out and then start it again.

My Carly adapter should be here soon so maybe turning off bulb checks ... Any ideas?
Appreciate 0