BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Engine noisy at idle?

06-03-2016, 05:04 AM   #1
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Engine noisy at idle?

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the engine being overly noisey while idling, sitting in the cabin i can hear a distinct rattling/noisy tappet type sound, dealership couldn't find anything wrong.
Anyone elses like this, is it normal? I don't recall the N55 in my 1 series being like it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 07:39 AM   #2
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the engine being overly noisey while idling, sitting in the cabin i can hear a distinct rattling/noisy tappet type sound, dealership couldn't find anything wrong.
Anyone elses like this, is it normal? I don't recall the N55 in my 1 series being like it.
Uhmmm maybe it should do that It is an exhaust, louder the better. I would be happy with it, if it is not something overly irritating with the whole car shaking or rattling.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 08:12 AM   #3
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: M2

Mind if you could record this with you phone?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 08:19 AM   #4
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Uhmmm maybe it should do that It is an exhaust, louder the better. I would be happy with it, if it is not something overly irritating with the whole car shaking or rattling.
It's not the exhaust, it's coming from the engine bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash21 View Post
Mind if you could record this with you phone?
Will try and record something in the next day or two.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 08:40 AM   #5
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
It's not the exhaust, it's coming from the engine bay.

Will try and record something in the next day or two.
That is less cool if it is coming from there... Looking forward to the video.

MR
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #6
twboy1999
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 honda accord

ya, is kinda loud at idling, but if you idle for like more than 1 min,
it quite down completely
      06-04-2016, 03:52 AM   #7
caminator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: feet

It doesn't sound too tappety to me, not compared to some of the fast nissans I had in the past but there is a little noise.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 08:04 AM   #8
fusionrace
Rogue
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Garage List
2001 325i  [0.00]
1989 m3  [0.00]
1990 m3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
I was told by a Bmw tech that it was the direct injection system making the noise.

My wife's 328 also makes the same noises.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #9
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
No. It seems really quiet to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 11:45 PM   #10
Fuman
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 DCT

Quote:
Yes. I started getting something like a flywheel chatter at 600km. When I took delivery it had a beautiful tone. Now it sounds like a faint but noticeable marbles in a tin noise at idle. when the clutch engages it goes away. Its like someone is tapping at the middle of your forehead. Its not a very nice sound.

My car was an E92 N54 FBO running on E85. It had a beautiful tone and ran great.

The noise started when I had to keep the car a good acceleration into a major road. The engine was off due to auto stop, and then auto start kicked in, there was a loud metallic thud, and the noise what there ever since.

Is this what you are experiencing? Tell me more please.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 03:46 AM   #11
Fuman
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuman View Post
Yes. I started getting something like a flywheel chatter at 600km. When I took delivery it had a beautiful tone. Now it sounds like a faint but noticeable marbles in a tin noise at idle. when the clutch engages it goes away. Its like someone is tapping at the middle of your forehead. Its not a very nice sound.

My car was an E92 N54 FBO running on E85. It had a beautiful tone and ran great.

The noise started when I had to keep the car a good acceleration into a major road. The engine was off due to auto stop, and then auto start kicked in, there was a loud metallic thud, and the noise what there ever since.

Is this what you are experiencing? Tell me more please.

Update:

The feedback from the BMW Australia Technical Head (who was at Westcoast BMW in WA Australia today): This transmission chatter noise is normal. Whilst page 148 of the manual says 'clattering' noises are normal on load changes, the response is that it also applies to the transmission noises on idle -- the noise in mine.

The noise characteristics of the demo car as compared to mine is the same, except mine is louder/ more pronounced. The demo car was beyond its first service at 2000km.

The feedback from the dealer is to monitor and check back again after first service at 2000km.
Appreciate 2
      09-23-2016, 03:21 AM   #12
Vihang Limaye
Rep
Drives: BMW 523i 2011 model

Having the same uneven rattling noise

A little background:
My car: F10 523i no modifications. 2010-2011 model, done 44k Kms.
Not much used as it is a secondary option...so battery gets discharged.

At 40K kms, oil level sensor gave message "measurement inactive, have it checked". Dealer here replaced oil level sensor..Of course took a hefty amount but in vain.Said coils and DME is faulty and needs replacement but was not sure. The msg is still there and I ride with the orange light always ON.

At 44K kms, I started getting typically dry marbles like rattling noise from engine around the VANOS area above the tension belt.
Typically it starts with low rpm at below 1000 when idle.Above 1500, it seems gone.

Dealer said it "might" be...tensioner, idler pulley, timing chain setup, oil pressure or coils and DME. SO he is not sure and wants to replace it all.

I thought to check the oil level and oil filter, and no dipstick available. So manually drained oil to find 5 ltrs in the sump.

Forums say, its the tensioner and belt or idler pulley.

Can someone pl help?
Appreciate 0