E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Carly and Dfp regen

05-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #1
Edition
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

Carly and Dfp regen

Hi,

I've bought a 335d and I'm not sure if it's doing regens. The car's under main dealer warranty but I've found them to be utterly useless. I'm thinking I would like to be able to see when it's done it's last regen and maybe force one.

Does Carly allow this?

Thanks in advance....
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 03:38 PM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edition
Hi,

I've bought a 335d and I'm not sure if it's doing regens. The car's under main dealer warranty but I've found them to be utterly useless. I'm thinking I would like to be able to see when it's done it's last regen and maybe force one.

Does Carly allow this?

Thanks in advance....
Yes,

I am not a fan of Carly for diagnosis and coding. However, credit where it due - it's a fantastic tool for cars with DPF. I have a complete ISTA-D / P / standard tools setup with ICOM yet I still use Carly to monitor the DPF.

You can view live parameters. For DPF info I suggest the following:

1. Coolant Temp
2. EGR Temp
3. Distance travelled since last regen
4. Soot mass level
5. Ash mass level
6. Regen status

Just to clarify, there are strict conditions as to when a 'normal' regen can occur. Speed above 60kph, coolant temp must be above 75c, no glow plug faults, at least 10L of diesel in the tank and exhaust gas must be quite high (I think above 250c but not sure on this off top of my head).

For an extra payment you can get the DPF addon which allows you to force a regeneration. I've just used this with great success. You'll see the spot mass drop as it regens.

Be aware though, if the DPF doesn't regen then you need to treat the cause ASAP otherwise you'll get DPF fault codes and the car won't regenerate until. In which case you'll need to clear the codes as you drive and then force a regen.

Normally if the DPF isn't regenerating it'll be glow plugs or faulty coolant / EGR thermostat.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #3
Edition
Private
Rep

Ok I think I'll give it ago just to take a look at what the levels are.

My car sits at an annoyingly close 73c, I have had it up to 90ish but only after motorway work and then sitting in traffic. Once you get moving at a decent rate it soon gets back to low 70's.

My problem is the car is auc but I'm not sure my useless dealer will do anything about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 03:59 PM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ok I think I'll give it ago just to take a look at what the levels are.

My car sits at an annoyingly close 73c, I have had it up to 90ish but only after motorway work and then sitting in traffic. Once you get moving at a decent rate it soon gets back to low 70's.

My problem is the car is auc but I'm not sure my useless dealer will do anything about it.
I'd say your stats definitely need changing then. Almost exactly the same circumstances as mine. It's a vicious cycle.

Check fault codes. You may start to get the DPF 480A and 4801 codes. The first is silent but the 2nd will generate a dash / idrive check control message and you'll feel the car drop in power noticeably.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 04:02 PM   #5
Edition
Private
Rep

Ok thanks :-(

Should the dealer sort this out? I'm approx. 6 months into the 12month auc warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ok thanks :-(

Should the dealer sort this out? I'm approx. 6 months into the 12month auc warranty.
I would have thought so. As you are under a warranty you could even let the DPF block in which case you might get a new DPF for free. Not 100% sure though as I haven't read the terms and condition.
Appreciate 0