BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

05-18-2016, 08:09 AM   #1
skerdian
Rep
Drives: 760i, S580, A8L, QP GTS, P 911

2017 740i xdrive

Just picked up a base model 740i xdrive. Not a single option.

Pros- this is my 4th 7 and my 1st I6 engine..power is just perfect. Plently of pull and great mpg. Very roomy. Handling is exceptional. Trans is smooth as butter.

Cons (to me at least)- Visually not a big upgrade from F02. I actually think F02 looked better with higher hood. Not a fan of the narrow styled headlights. Great it has a pano roof now, but the slide back clearance for the front glass is too little. It looks awkward when opened. Cheap vent material. Plastic surrounding shifter looks odd, as if it can be adjusted to be elsewhere (black plastic area). Indicator stalk feels cheap. Cabin not as luxurious (in my opinion, at least in base trim) as the F02. Having a hard time going through my iphone music library in iDrive. Can only play music that I control from the phone. Using display key when locking car always triggers alarm (may need service?), no easy access to battery in the rear.

Questions- can mirrors auto fold when locking? Can the rear seats fold down? Its looks like it may but there are no latches in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
WhiteTitan
Rep
Drives: 750i

No, the back seats do not fold down, and that is a bit of a mystery to me because there is a code, as an option, for rear fold-down seats--look it up. You just can't get it in the US, I suppose.

I noticed the sunroof as well, and this was done to permit for the rear glass section, otherwise the front sunroof could slide into that space.

Yeah, I don't know why they keep smashing the front of these German cars and lowering them more and more. Any type of frontal collision will rip right into the grill and engine compartment, avoiding the bumper altogether.

The quality on my F01 is fantastic, and to be honest, I believe the G series is over the top on some of the fancy lighting and shiny pieces, but that's ok. I'll give it a try. I'm not required to keep it forever, so we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerdian View Post

Pros- this is my 4th 7 and my 1st I6 engine..power is just perfect. Plently of pull and great mpg. Very roomy. Handling is exceptional. Trans is smooth as butter.

Cons (to me at least)- Visually not a big upgrade from F02. I actually think F02 looked better with higher hood. Not a fan of the narrow styled headlights. Great it has a pano roof now, but the slide back clearance for the front glass is too little. It looks awkward when opened. Cheap vent material. Plastic surrounding shifter looks odd, as if it can be adjusted to be elsewhere (black plastic area). Indicator stalk feels cheap. Cabin not as luxurious (in my opinion, at least in base trim) as the F02. Having a hard time going through my iphone music library in iDrive. Can only play music that I control from the phone. Using display key when locking car always triggers alarm (may need service?), no easy access to battery in the rear.

Questions- can mirrors auto fold when locking? Can the rear seats fold down? Its looks like it may but there are no latches in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #3
terrainx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

Nice I was not aware 2017's were @ dealers yet... Looks like it's just the 740's? Curious what your build date is?
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 03:47 PM   #4
skerdian
Rep

As of now, only 740i xdrives are 2017s. According to vin decoder my car was built on 3/3/16.

Btw, the trunklid hazard triangle holder (that is empty) makes a great medium sized umbrella holder similar to the option on the prefacift w221 S-class.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #5
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Btw, the trunklid hazard triangle holder (that is empty) makes a great medium sized umbrella holder similar to the option on the prefacift w221 S-class.
Good to know! When cleaning out my previous car (2012 F02 740Li) so I could trade it in, I kept the triangle that came with it. The triangle and medical kit were included since I took delivery in Europe. I'm just glad they didn't change the form factor of the rectangular case the triangle comes in for this new model. It fits perfectly in the holder in my 2016 G12.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
terrainx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
As of now, only 740i xdrives are 2017s. According to vin decoder my car was built on 3/3/16.

Makes sense and I just realized that several 740's that I looked at in the last few weeks have been 2017... I expected they were all 16's.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 06:02 PM   #7
skerdian
Rep

Here is the makeshift umbrella holder
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 07:29 PM   #8
terrainx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Looks like just in time -
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 10:32 PM   #9
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool! I love seeing how people use the various features in their cars. That's a good use for the triangle holder.

Since I have individual umbrellas in each of the door pockets (4 of them) I slid my old warning triangle into that spot in the trunk. See pics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 08:14 AM   #10
wekido
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Xdrive

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 02:02 PM   #11
skerdian
Rep

To anybody with the display key-

Does your show service requirements for the car? I've seen some online pictures that has this option for some reason mine does not..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 02:30 PM   #12
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To anybody with the display key-

Does your show service requirements for the car? I've seen some online pictures that has this option for some reason mine does not..
Yes it does, but only in a submenu -- you have to tap the item for which you'd like service requirements. Under "Vehicle Information" tap the car icon (the icon above the lightbulb icon). That'll reveal the Service menu. Within the Service menu, tap "Engine oil", "Vehicle check" or "Brake fluid" to see the next service due-date (or mileage requirement) for each.

Appreciate 0