THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums USA - Florida Windshield chipped less than a week after taking it home

05-05-2016, 03:29 PM   #1
peterdf
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Coupe

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Windshield chipped less than a week after taking it home

I was driving behind a truck on the way back to work from getting my tag and title, and a huge rock or piece of metal was flung up from under the truck's rear tire and hit my windshield directly in front of my line of sight. I didn't have time to react, and I had cars on either side of me. We were also on the highway, so we were all traveling roughly 70mph. Insurance is going to cover the repair, but they are recommending Safelite, which I haven't heard good things about.

The chip is small, about 1/5 the size of a dime, in 2 spots next to each other. The spots are dark brown/black, even after washing. I didn't want to try and clean it more out of worry that I'd scratch the glass trying to clean it and just make it worse.

I'm in the Broward County/Pembroke Pines area of south Florida, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a glass repair shop or a DIY solution. It's not large enough to warrant replacing the entire glass, but it's right in my line of sight, so I don't want a mediocre solution. I tried taking pics yesterday, but I couldn't focus. I'll try again today and upload as soon as I get a good shot.

I know it's small, but I hate seeing it right in front of my face. If it was on the passenger side, I really wouldn't be worrying about this so much.

Here are the shots (one is out of focus but shows dark it is, the other shows its position in the windshield, though it's hard to see)
Name:  26393893910_fcf20bfeb4_b.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  100.8 KB
Name:  26640583106_9de9576285_b.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  73.9 KB
      05-05-2016, 03:34 PM   #2
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Same thing happened when my wife was driving my 2er. I called insurance to see if they cover fills and they do. Then coordinated with Safelite.

So far, so good!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #3
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
The first rock that hit my windshield split it in half.

Consider yourself lucky.

Windshield insurrance is also not common where I live due to excessive cost so that was a 600 dollar on-ramp.
Appreciate 0