BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Coding 6NS (enhanced smartphone integration) still possible?

05-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #1
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Coding 6NS (enhanced smartphone integration) still possible?

Call me a cheap-skate for wanting to circumvent a $600 CDN option on a $60k vehicle but i like to tinker (and save while im at it )...ive read, I believe in the X5 sub forum that coding this option was possible in the past but now its very difficult if not impossible...can someone shed light on this?

Im new to BMW and therefore Coding so i dont know very much about this topic yet. I know modifications can void that part of your vehicle should something that goes wrong be traced back to your modification but how does coding something like 6NS affect a warranty? And is it/will it be possible?

Last edited by Dabozo; 05-03-2016 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
Call me a cheap-skate for wanting to circumvent a $600 CDN option on a $60k vehicle but i like to tinker (and save while im at it )...ive read, I believe in the X5 sub forum that coding this option was possible in the past but now its very difficult if not impossible...can someone shed light on this?

Im new to BMW and therefore Coding so i dont know very much about this topic yet. I know modifications can void that part of your vehicle should something that goes wrong be traced back to your modification but how does coding something like 6NS affect a warranty? And is it/will it be possible?
What is this 6NS you refer to? I'm in the US, so I'm not sure if the pricing codes are the same...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #3
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR View Post
What is this 6NS you refer to? I'm in the US, so I'm not sure if the pricing codes are the same...
sorry, its this:

CONVENIENCE TELEPHONY W/SMARTPHONE CONNECTIVITY Code: 6NS

not sure if its the same in usa.

allows album art, voice commands, integration of your music, 2 independant blue tooth connections etc..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
sorry, its this:

CONVENIENCE TELEPHONY W/SMARTPHONE CONNECTIVITY Code: 6NS

not sure if its the same in usa.

allows album art, voice commands, integration of your music, 2 independant blue tooth connections etc..
Same code, but it is standard in the US. I hope someone can answer your question.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #5
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR View Post
Same code, but it is standard in the US. I hope someone can answer your question.
thanks. its the only thing that is not standard here (apart from DCT).
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 08:03 PM   #6
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

From what I've heard, no. But let me check with a few other folks and I'll post a reply in a few days with their discoveries.

Also, unless you need to have two phones connected and able to operate at the same time (I have personal and work phones), don't bother with the package, since that's the only thing it really adds. The album art, etc., should all work regardless.

PS: I believe it also enables Siri Eyes Free, but don't quote me on that as no one I know has tried it yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #7
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

The dual phone function makes it all worth it (with my work and personal phone)
      05-04-2016, 05:07 PM   #8
Dabozo
Major
Rep

No need for two phones. What's tugging at me is the integration of my music (browsing my library with idrive etc) and the voice command.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #9
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
From what I've heard, no. But let me check with a few other folks and I'll post a reply in a few days with their discoveries.

Also, unless you need to have two phones connected and able to operate at the same time (I have personal and work phones), don't bother with the package, since that's the only thing it really adds. The album art, etc., should all work regardless.

PS: I believe it also enables Siri Eyes Free, but don't quote me on that as no one I know has tried it yet.
What is Siri eyes free?

Also, even without 6NS, we can still stream wirelessly via Bluetooth correct? Pretty sure I read that but need to make sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 08:01 PM   #10
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
What is Siri eyes free?

Also, even without 6NS, we can still stream wirelessly via Bluetooth correct? Pretty sure I read that but need to make sure.
Yes you can still stream via Bluetooth.

Siri Eyes Free enables you to control Siri via the car's built in mic and speaker system. It's very slick and quite useful if you're an iPhone user. It's basically CarPlay without the screen.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 12:20 PM   #11
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post

absolutely can be coded

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
Code the following to werte = 01 within the HU_NBT2 (Evo) ... same coding is true for the NBT unit:

SINGLE_OR_MULTILINK
CONTACT_BOOK_PICTURES
BLUETOOTH_2ND_HFP
MACRO_PIM
PIM_SPEECH_TO_TEXT
PIM_NEW_ELEMENT_VOICE_EMAIL
PIM_BILDER_EIN_AUS
CALENDAR_EIN_AUS
TASK_EIN_AUS
REMINDER_EIN_AUS
TEXT_NOTES_EIN_AUS
AUDIO_NOTES_EIN_AUS
SMS_EIN_AUS
EMAIL_EIN_AUS
PIM_NEW_ELEMENT_EMAIL
PIM_NEW_ELEMENT_SMS
PIM_NEW_ELEMENT_AUDIO_NOTE
API_USB_VIDEO ... werte = 03

These lines above are everything that the 6NS enhanced bluetooth adds
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #12
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Yes, coded this on my UK M2...

Main reason for me was to get SMS displayed and multiple phones ...as above, music streaming was already enabled
      11-30-2017, 08:24 AM   #13
Steveo
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

So if 6NS can be coded, and you have Navigation, understand that Apple CarPlay can be added? Is this correct?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #14
Perp
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Yes, coded this on my UK M2...

Main reason for me was to get SMS displayed and multiple phones ...as above, music streaming was already enabled
What did you code for SMS? I used BimmerCode and got the other features, but can't figure out how to get the "office" menu in idrive for SMS
Appreciate 0