THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Auto-x review

05-02-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
gunnersfan10
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i x-drive

Auto-x review

So I had the opportunity to do my first autocross since acquiring the M235. I participated in the BMW CCA auto-x school with the Windy City club. I've been trying to get my girlfriend involved in autocross or track driving for a little while now and figured it would be a great way for her to learn and for me to try out the new car on the autocross course. I've been autocrossing for years in a number of different cars, my previous being a 2013 Boss 302 mustang.

The car: Well I was very impressed with the balance in the chassis. I have an x-drive car which is great here in Chicago for winter and surprisingly good on the auto-x course. It was cold and damp yesterday and I was able to put power down so much better than some of the M3/M4 crowd. The car is much smaller than my previous ride and made it alot easier to pick my lines and fly through the gates. It's a very tossable car and doesn't feel AWD unless you are digging out of an extremely low speed corner (we had a hairpin that had to be taken at about 10mph). I was able to give it a bootful of throttle coming out which rotated the car nicely then catapulted it forward with just a little wheelspin. It definitely helped that it was a damp cold day. I'm looking forward to getting it out to more events this summer in warmer weather.

Also, my car came with the dreaded runflut AS tires. I have always hated runflats but was pleasantly surprised at how they performed during the course of the day. I'm sure the weather played a part in that. In the end I'm still aiming to thrash them to pieces this summer and get a set of stickier rubber on the car.

To sum everything up I'm very pleased at how the car performed. The Windy City people we great to work with and very friendly. The car is everything I'd hoped it would be. It was the perfect way for her to cut her teeth in high performance driving (she's never driven anything faster than a basic Nissan Sentra before but by the end of the day had picked up 12sec. over her first run. It was fun watching her confidence behind the wheel grow to the point where she was sliding and catching the car on the gravel. That 2 series ticks all the boxes for me, it commutes during the week, was easy enough for a novice to get behind the wheel and find its limits(and hers) relatively quickly but also provided me with enough of a challenge to wring the most out of it to make it a fun day for both. We were both smiling when we left and it looks like the racing bug has bitten her hard! Looks like I'm investing in another helmet so she can have her own!
Attached Images

Past:2013 Boss 302, 12 370Z Nismo, 01 Acura CL-S, 13 370Z, 12 G37xs, 01 Boxster, 04 Mustang GT, 83 944
Appreciate 2
      05-06-2016, 12:52 PM   #2
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive

Awesome! These are definitely very capable cars.
Appreciate 0