THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Rinseless wash - who does them?

04-30-2016, 11:24 PM   #1
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Rinseless wash - who does them?

I did my first rinseless wash a couple weeks ago and my second today. It's a fantastic thing. A lot less effort than hose and bucket, environment-friendly, safe for the clearcoat, and perfect result. I bought a 32 oz. bottle of Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine from amazon for about $16. The directions said to mix 1 oz. in 2 gallons of water, but I used half of that, and had a little left over at the end.

If there's only a day or two of road dust I'll usually just use Meguiar's Quik Detail and a microfiber towel. But if it's a week's worth of dust, the rinseless wash is better. I'd go with a regular hose and bucket wash when the car is visibly dirty.

Anyway, I wondered how many use a rinseless wash, and how crazy OCD do you get as far as multiple towels, grit guard, etc.?
      04-30-2016, 11:27 PM   #2
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Never done it, but you've peeked my interest.
      05-01-2016, 12:02 AM   #3
a-fung
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i xDrive

I've been doing rinseless wash every week for a few months.

I started using two buckets, one with ONR solution and one with water and grit guard. I found that the towel will still get pretty dirty at the end of the wash.

Later I changed to one bucket of ONR solution and a pile of towels. Each towel goes into the bucket once and can wipe 8 times (fold into quarter and use both sides). One towel can clean 1~2 panels depends on the amount of dirt.
I like this method now because I won't spend too much time on rinsing the towels. Just throw them into the washer.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2016, 06:39 AM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-fung View Post
I've been doing rinseless wash every week for a few months.

I started using two buckets, one with ONR solution and one with water and grit guard. I found that the towel will still get pretty dirty at the end of the wash.

Later I changed to one bucket of ONR solution and a pile of towels. Each towel goes into the bucket once and can wipe 8 times (fold into quarter and use both sides). One towel can clean 1~2 panels depends on the amount of dirt.
I like this method now because I won't spend too much time on rinsing the towels. Just throw them into the washer.
Which brand and size towel are you using ?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #5
SMB F83
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 SMB M4 Convertible

I also use the "stack of towels" method and highly recommend it versus two buckets and grit guard. Knowing you're always putting a fresh new towel on the car, instead of worrying you got your towel/sponge/whatever clean is good peace of mind.

I just have a second small empty bucket to throw the dirties into.

One really nice advantage is you can do the sills, wheel arches, and dirtier lower areas first instead of last and toss the towels, then when you're doing the door or larger panels above them. You're not worried about carrying the heavier dirt/grit up from a low swipe and scratching the larger more visible panel.

As to which, I grabbed a couple of "color coded microfiber bulk detailing towel" packs from autogeek. I use the green and blue for exterior, and the other colors for interior.

I also throw 1/2 a cap of ONR and water in a spray bottle and pre-wet each panel. So handy to be able to wash the entire car in about 20-30 minutes in my condo garage with no hoses or run-off.
      05-01-2016, 02:04 PM   #6
a-fung
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Which brand and size towel are you using ?
I have Chemical Guys 16 x 16 and The Rag Company 16 x 16.

I use Chemical guys ones for large areas and the rag company ones for tight areas because The rag company ones are a bit too soft to stay flat for large areas.

Yeah it's a good idea to pre-wet panels that are a bit dirty.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 09:09 PM   #7
vietboyx1115
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MG F80 Comp

I, too, have been using ONR wash on nearly a weekly basis. I use one bucket method with a microfiber sponge and dry off with optimum microfiber towels. I also bought a soft brush for lower trim (such as the very bottom of the side skirts, lips, diffuser) and for the wheels.

I wash the wheels and wheel wells first. For this I have ONR in a spray bottle and a bucket of water. I'll wipe in the crevices and in between spokes with some shop towels and dry off with some 3m microfiber towels. Then I'll go and wash the car one panel at a time. Big panels, like the roof and hood, I'll split it in half. I'll dry off with 2 towels. The first towel makes a light pass to get the majority of the water off, the second will be to get it completely dry. Never applying much force.

Typically on a dry and not overly hot morning (anything below 80 and not humid) I can get away with 2 large towels. If its humid or extremely hot, I end up using 4-6 towels.

Since I bought a gallon of the ONR Wash n Shine, I am pretty generous with how much I use. For my spray bottle I have a capful (1oz into 32oz of water). I'll probably do 1.5-2 capfuls into my ~2 gallons of water. Next time I buy, I'll probably get the Wash n Wax.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #8
kevlac
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Convertible

Meguiar's G3626 Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere Spray

I have been using the Meguiar's G3626 Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere Spray and have had great success. I have a Jet 228i Convertible.

I first go to one of those do it yourself car washes and use the high powered sprayer to get thick dirt, bugs, dust, etc. off.

Then, I come home and use the Meguiar's G3626 Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere Spray with a stack of new microfiber towels. I clean up any overspray with Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer.

I have been impressed with the results. This process does not scratch the car. In addition, it covers up the little scratches that were in the clear coat when I bought the car (likely from the dealer washing it). The water beads right off. The paint looks deep
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #9
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I have used BlackFire Waterless Wash Concentrate and had excellent results. I also use it for spray detailer and clay lube as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 11:26 AM   #10
Zandar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 230i

Garage List
2017 230i  [0.00]
Has anyone tried Dri Wash 'n Guard? http://www.dwginternational.com/WebSite/DWG.shtml
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 07:17 PM   #11
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
We have been in drought conditions here in Georgia for at least 6 months now, so no car washes unless it's by commercial business. So, I started using Chemical Guys Rinse Free Wash & Shine. 1-2 oz added to a bucket of water. One other bucket with fresh water and an empty bucket to wring out the hand mitt. Both wet buckets have grit guards. I apply with a micro fiber wash mitt and typically dry with a Metrovac using the blower function. If I'm in a hurry I'll use a single large microfiber towel and wring it out when necessary. As a topper I have been using Finish Kare #425. It goes on super slick.

Just today I tried Chemical Guys EcoSmart-RU Waterless Wash & Wax. You spray on and use the clean portion of a microfiber towel to wipe off in one direction. Then buff with a separate towel. I used about 5-6 small towels in the wipe process. Buffs to an awesome shine (contains a carnuba wax to emulsify and shine). Topped with Finish Kare #425. The combo is great.

Last edited by RotorOver; 06-04-2017 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 0