F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > How should I go about it?
Extreme Powerhouse

04-30-2016, 04:04 PM   #1
WeaverBeaver
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d xDrive M Sport

How should I go about it?

My new car on order is not due until roughly end of August.

I have a part-ex agreed with the dealer on my current car, but thought may be worth trying to beat it by selling privately.

However, 2 issues:

- there is still a decent chunk of finance remaining outstanding which in an ideal world id want the buyer to settle and pay me the difference, but not sure how many buyers would be put off by this?

- I wouldn't want to be left for any period without a car but given time until new car is ready can't imagine any reasonable buyer would want to delay purchase / collection of mine because of this

If any others have been in a similar situation how have you gone about this?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 04:46 PM   #2
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

So I've been in this position twice with my wife's car.

What I did both times was advertise it for enough to cover a basic hire car if needed and made it clear in the advert that two payments would be needed.

I had some interest but never sold, traded in eventually.

Unfortunately I fear people are put off.
      04-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
subsy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31

Also been in the situation before , 4 times, and sold privately each time - most recently being a few weeks ago

I always

- waited til 1 month before trade in - so that either a private buyer could potentially wait til the car was available, or worst case I wouldn't need a hire car for long
- never mentioned anything about that in the ad - only on the phone to truly interested potential buyers
- priced the car competitively (cheaper than other similar cars, yet still a fair bit more than I would get via trade in)
- advertise on both autotrader and pistonheads, and one or two forums for enthusiasts of the car I'm selling
      05-01-2016, 03:29 AM   #4
WeaverBeaver
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsy View Post
Also been in the situation before , 4 times, and sold privately each time - most recently being a few weeks ago

I always

- waited til 1 month before trade in - so that either a private buyer could potentially wait til the car was available, or worst case I wouldn't need a hire car for long
- never mentioned anything about that in the ad - only on the phone to truly interested potential buyers
- priced the car competitively (cheaper than other similar cars, yet still a fair bit more than I would get via trade in)
- advertise on both autotrader and pistonheads, and one or two forums for enthusiasts of the car I'm selling
Interesting, cheers. Might try this and see if it sticks. Always got a decent part-ex to fall back on.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 04:18 AM   #5
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
As above. Sold my 320d privately a year or so ago and got a few Łk more than the dealer was offering

Advertised 6 weeks beforehand on autotrader and car was sold 2 weeks before new car arrived . Managed to borrow mother in laws car but also had my classic which I could have used.

Just weigh up the differences between dealer price your resale price factoring in advertising hire etc etc.

As regards finance I paid off but let the buyer pay it off on your behalf over the phone so they know the car is clear. If you are buying from Sytners Oldbury I believe in the past they have let people make the call from their premises - just makes it more credible I suppose but depends on your salesman.

As an aside also try Evans Halshaw in Wolverhampton they can give a better price

Good luck with the sale.
      05-02-2016, 05:12 AM   #6
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

A private buyer shouldn't be put off by having to pay your finance co one amount and you the remainder. It would give them peace of mind that the finance is settled and that you're not going to disappear with their cash and have bailiffs appear at their door.

A small car can be hired for not a lot for a couple of weeks if need be. Yes, it's an added expense, but you've got no finance payments to make in between times
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 05:30 AM   #7
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

IDK, personally would never buy a car much over 8-9K private sale.
Having to pay off a finance company would just make me look to the next car.

Have you tried the smaller "we buy an car" companies? (Or even the big ones?)

I found a local company which do a similar service, and sold 2 cars to them. Offered more than WBAC, but less than I may have got private.
Gave me a lift home, and had money in my account before I even got there. (Unlike WBAC where there is a 5 day delay unless you pay for express payment...)
Appreciate 0