F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > RPM Technik
Extreme Powerhouse

04-29-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

RPM Technik

Had a great impromptu blast to RPM Technik to talk about their CSR this afternoon. Very tempted and am planning to go back for a test drive. Really welcoming and knowledgeable staff and some big budget cars and projects on the go - think Singer money.

The B489 was a fun road with a lot of undulations and nicely tight corners. The Quaife diff worked really well; adaptive dampers much less so - lack of proper damping control really lets the car down. Looks like that's an annoyance that needs to be fixed for good.

Anyone else been looking at something a bit different recently ?
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 01:52 AM   #2
subsy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey
Had a great impromptu blast to RPM Technik to talk about their CSR this afternoon. Very tempted and am planning to go back for a test drive. Really welcoming and knowledgeable staff and some big budget cars and projects on the go - think Singer money.

The B489 was a fun road with a lot of undulations and nicely tight corners. The Quaife diff worked really well; adaptive dampers much less so - lack of proper damping control really lets the car down. Looks like that's an annoyance that needs to be fixed for good.

Anyone else been looking at something a bit different recently ?
No, my life wouldn't be worth living if I suggested looking at another car right now

You looking at a 911 CSR? 991?
      04-30-2016, 03:31 AM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsy View Post
No, my life wouldn't be worth living if I suggested looking at another car right now

You looking at a 911 CSR? 991?
The demonstrator that was on site is a 996 and has been reviewed well by EVO, and prices of the base car are quite low at the moment. That said, the 997 is a much nicer place to spend time in if the car is going to be a daily driver, which mine would.

I'm not sure whether I'd go down the complete CSR route (which includes carbon bonnet & ducktail, etc) or pick selectively from the catalogue : intermediate bearing and engine overhaul, LSD, switchable sports exhaust, coilovers.

Obviously these models are few years old but having a car which provides the equivalent of GTS level ride, handling and performance (with some practicality) for £35-50K (full package) is tempting. A current model Carrera S starts from £85K.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 05:42 PM   #4
subsy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31

I hear ya.....though (assuming I was in a position to commit to that sort of cost, which I'm not currently) unless I had a 911 itch to scratch specifically, I'd probably be looking at the 718 Cayman - completely different proposition but as an all round DD package, it's something I'd probably be happier with.

A 997 CSR I'm sure is quite intoxicating thrill wise though. For a DD I'd probably want to look to a 997.2 as its a much nicer place to be.