E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Wild Speedometer (Not your usual question)

04-29-2016, 12:47 PM   #1
scott320d
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D SE

Garage List
Wild Speedometer (Not your usual question)

Evening all,

Before people start going off about "SEARCH" i've looked hi&low and can't find an answer to my problem.

My speedo is causing me some issues. Today i was driving around 70mph and my speedo was showing 155mph.

Still goes up when i accelerate and drops when i slow down but doesn't drop to 0 it drops and stays around 100mph (this does vary sometimes)

http://www.facebook.com/groups/E9XOC...61768859157704

Any help would be much appreciated

Note: I've read my codes and have no faults showing accept glow plug issue which i'm moaning to a garage about as they "should" have replaced them recently
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 09:19 AM   #2
scott320d
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I'm guessing by no replies - no one has even come across this issue before?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #3
2real4u
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Never spotted this issue before, may is worth reprogram cluster again or check for update. You can always replace for good second hand.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 02:00 AM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Is this intermittent or a constant fault?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #5
scott320d
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
How would i go about getting a reprogram of the cluster? Dealer i'm guessing?

I'd suggest it's a fault that always happens but after driving today it's been fine. Yesterday however said i was doing 140mph through a 30mph zone - my digital speedo said 30mph.

So i'd probably say it's intermitent.

It's frustrating to be honest.....but if i bought a 2nd hand unit - would i need this coding? and does Carly cover the coding or do i have to go to a dealer?

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott320d
How would i go about getting a reprogram of the cluster? Dealer i'm guessing?

I'd suggest it's a fault that always happens but after driving today it's been fine. Yesterday however said i was doing 140mph through a 30mph zone - my digital speedo said 30mph.

So i'd probably say it's intermitent.

It's frustrating to be honest.....but if i bought a 2nd hand unit - would i need this coding? and does Carly cover the coding or do i have to go to a dealer?

thanks in advance
If you digital speedo is showing the correct speed I doubt this is a software issue (not impossible though).

In my opinion it's more hardware related. Behind the needle will be a worm gear which often comes dislodged / partially dislodged. If the cluster uses some magnetic discs (most common speedo method) then a partial dislodge could cause your symptoms.

I'd take it off and have a look. It's fairly simple. Attached is a photo of what I'm talking about.

Also here is a link showing how to take the cluster apart:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=902668

You can buy a used one of you like but it'll need coding to your car using special tools which can write directly to eeprom (requires scolding or testclip). I offer this free for forum members if you do get a used one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #7
scott320d
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
If you digital speedo is showing the correct speed I doubt this is a software issue (not impossible though).

In my opinion it's more hardware related. Behind the needle will be a worm gear which often comes dislodged / partially dislodged. If the cluster uses some magnetic discs (most common speedo method) then a partial dislodge could cause your symptoms.

I'd take it off and have a look. It's fairly simple. Attached is a photo of what I'm talking about.

You can buy a used one of you like but it'll need coding to your car using special tools which can write directly to eeprom (requires scolding or testclip). I offer this free for forum members if you do get a used one.
Thanks for taking the time out to reply. Will take my clocks out tomorrow and see what i can find. Will report back - if i do end up having to buy some 2nd hand replacement clocks. Do i need to come to you for scolding/testclip?

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #8
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Hope it helps. Sorry that was a typo. Should have read 'soldering / testclip'

Many people offer this service. But I do it for free for fellow enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 07:52 AM   #9
scott320d
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Afternoon All,

So after taking my clocks out and taking them to bits and cleaning them everything seems to working fine again. It did look like the previous owner had removed them and not clipped it all back together properly.

Thanks for your time and hope this helps people in the future.

Cheers guys
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 10:12 AM   #10
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott320d
Afternoon All,

So after taking my clocks out and taking them to bits and cleaning them everything seems to working fine again. It did look like the previous owner had removed them and not clipped it all back together properly.

Thanks for your time and hope this helps people in the future.

Cheers guys
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 07:03 PM   #11
alex-qts
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i N54 Coupe

Quote:

I need to get my M3 cluster done at some point. Lack of CBS and tamper dot are slowly grinding me down!

Where are you based Sensible? I tried to change VIN with tool32 but presume the chip is locked after 1st write.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:14 AM   #12
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-qts
Quote:

I need to get my M3 cluster done at some point. Lack of CBS and tamper dot are slowly grinding me down!

Where are you based Sensible? I tried to change VIN with tool32 but presume the chip is locked after 1st write.
I'm in London. It's a fairly simple process. I'd be happy to do this for free minus p&p both ways (the cluster must be removed from the vehicle).

Or if you are adventurous you can buy the tools (R270+ and test clips) for probably under 50 and I'll give you instruction on how to do it. No need to touch a soldering iron.

This process with 'virgin' the eeprom so that vin and odometer are in a factory state. You can then put it back in your car and write vin using tool32 or even ncsexpert. Once vin is matched tamper for will disappear and mileage will be correct.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 06:56 AM   #13
DLR
Rep
Drives: 320d

Hi Sensible, I've just replaced my instrument cluster (for a used one) on an 05 e90, had similar symptoms as this but worse, are you able to 're code it so it will show the correct mileage? I looked at getting the equipment to do it myself, but I'm a bit of a technophobe and think it best to beg someone who actually knows what they are doing to sort it 😊
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #14
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLR
Hi Sensible, I've just replaced my instrument cluster (for a used one) on an 05 e90, had similar symptoms as this but worse, are you able to 're code it so it will show the correct mileage? I looked at getting the equipment to do it myself, but I'm a bit of a technophobe and think it best to beg someone who actually knows what they are doing to sort it 😊
I'm happy to code it for you. But what problems are you having with it first?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #15
DLR
Rep
Drives: 320d

Hi, sorry for the delay in my response (I've been away)

Basically the instrument cluster was going a bit wild, the rev counter often jumped up and down and showed the engine revs to be all over the place even when the engine was ticking over. The Speedo would sit at various speeds even when stationary and I would get multiple warnings on the dash, (ABS dsc etc) .

A local garage checked everything out and said everything was working as it should be but that the instrument cluster was faulty.

I replaced it with a second hand unit which has fixed the problems but now shows much higher mileage and the tamper dot.

I guess (and it is just that) the clocks need to be 're coded to accept the module on my car and accept the correct mileage from the module along with getting rid of the tamper dot.

Am I thinking along the right lines?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 03:48 PM   #16
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLR
Hi, sorry for the delay in my response (I've been away)

Basically the instrument cluster was going a bit wild, the rev counter often jumped up and down and showed the engine revs to be all over the place even when the engine was ticking over. The Speedo would sit at various speeds even when stationary and I would get multiple warnings on the dash, (ABS dsc etc) .

A local garage checked everything out and said everything was working as it should be but that the instrument cluster was faulty.

I replaced it with a second hand unit which has fixed the problems but now shows much higher mileage and the tamper dot.

I guess (and it is just that) the clocks need to be 're coded to accept the module on my car and accept the correct mileage from the module along with getting rid of the tamper dot.

Am I thinking along the right lines?
Correct. But I think your old cluster may have been repairable.

Anyway, your new cluster just needs its chip programmed to your car. To do this just search for any M3 cluster retrofit and you'll see the process. It's exactly the same.
Appreciate 0