E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Angel Eyes fine until headlight are turned on

04-16-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
The Black Sheep
Professional Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

Angel Eyes fine until headlight are turned on

Anybody else have issues with Angel Eyes throwing a bulb warning, but only when the headlights are turned on? I can drive around all day with no issues with the AE's and into the early evening with the parking lights and fog lights on as well.

But if I switch the xenons on, I get a bulb warning after 10 seconds. Then, at exactly one minute after turning on the headlights, the AE's shut off. They remain off until I shut off the car and remove the key. The error clears and the AE's come back on after a restart. But the process repeats as soon as the xenons are switched on again.

The vendor says that they well exchange the AE's but I'm wondering if that will actually resolve the issue...

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 04:37 PM   #2
uber
uber driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Well when you turn on the low beams, the angel eyes dim. Maybe the LEDs don't function at a lower voltage.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 06:23 PM   #3
The Black Sheep
Professional Driver
United_States
Rep

If that were the case, it would seem that they would go out as soon as you turned on the headlights instead of waiting 60 seconds to shut off. But I don't know...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #4
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

It sounds like you have a pre-march 2007 coupe build, which has the FRM1 footwell module. Some angel eyes are not compatible with the early model cars liek this and will cause the angel eyes to turn off as soon as the Xenon headlights are turned on.

If that is the case I would contact the vendor and see if you can exchange them or return them. There are lights out there that are compatible with the early 2007 coupe models as well. Take a look at the vendor section or let me know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

There are some other options in the vendor sections which are guaranteed to work for 07 error free.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 04-18-2016 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 02:02 PM   #6
The Black Sheep
Professional Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
It sounds like you have a pre-march 2007 coupe build, which has the FRM1 footwell module. Some angel eyes are not compatible with the early model cars liek this and will cause the angel eyes to turn off as soon as the Xenon headlights are turned on.

If that is the case I would contact the vendor and see if you can exchange them or return them. There are lights out there that are compatible with the early 2007 coupe models as well. Take a look at the vendor section or let me know if you have any questions.
Yes... I should have bought the LUX AE's in hindsight. But I asked the vendor directly if these would be compatible with an e92 with a 02/07 build car and he said yes. I asked again when contacting him about this issue if these were the correct AE's for my pre-March build car and was again told that these were correct.

The guy is shady and I'm probably going to have to eat the $200 for these AE's... unless I find someone who wants to buy them off me at a discount with a later build car. This is what happens when you get all excited about modding your new car and don't slow down long enough to find out who is reputable before you spend your money. Live and learn...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #7
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Sheep View Post
Yes... I should have bought the LUX AE's in hindsight. But I asked the vendor directly if these would be compatible with an e92 with a 02/07 build car and he said yes. I asked again when contacting him about this issue if these were the correct AE's for my pre-March build car and was again told that these were correct.

The guy is shady and I'm probably going to have to eat the $200 for these AE's... unless I find someone who wants to buy them off me at a discount with a later build car. This is what happens when you get all excited about modding your new car and don't slow down long enough to find out who is reputable before you spend your money. Live and learn...
Oh man that stinks. Well if the vendor wont accept the light back directly even though they don't work there are other ways. If you purchased them through PayPal you can file a complaint, or do the same with the Credit Card company. I would definitely recommend contact the vendor and see if they will be able to assist you. If not post a review about them online to help warn others.

Let me know if i can help assist with anything as well
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 04:58 AM   #8
geoff52
Rep

Angel eyes reply

could be , if you fitted led angel eyes with ballast resister, which acts as a dummy load, shouldn't be any problems, but if you fitted led angel eyes with no ballast resister you have to fool the ecu that a bulb hasn.t gone out, You can try fitting a ballast resister of same wattage as the side light or you could wire direct onto side light and leave the side light bulb in. I have angel eyes myself to fit and will have the same problem so again its just a matter of bridging the led angel eyes with a dummy load to fool ecu that a bulb hasn't gone out, but do enquire before you do this. If it works, let me know.
Geoff.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 10:38 AM   #9
The Black Sheep
Professional Driver
United_States
Rep

The AE's came with a resistor pack... they just don't work with a pre-March 07 build car when the headlights are turned on. And as an update... the day before I uninstalled them, one of the resistor packs failed and one side would not come on at all. I swapped the resistor packs and the issue switched sides...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 12:14 PM   #10
geoff52
Rep

I have a 2006 model, I have purchased new led angel eyes. I connected both sides of the angel eyes wires and connected across the side light leaving the side light connected as well, I switch side light on, angel eyes on, I switch headlights on and angel eyes stay on..... maybe me leaving the side light bulb in as well makes mine work.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 12:29 PM   #11
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Sheep View Post
The AE's came with a resistor pack... they just don't work with a pre-March 07 build car when the headlights are turned on. And as an update... the day before I uninstalled them, one of the resistor packs failed and one side would not come on at all. I swapped the resistor packs and the issue switched sides...
Let us know if this issue gets resolved
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 12:38 PM   #12
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Have the car coded to have the angel eyes not dim when the headlights are on.

PWM takes a short period of time to manipulate the voltage.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 05:11 AM   #13
geoff52
Rep

Again I tried my side lights, headlights on together all the time, connected led angel eyes together on one side , lights on, no dash board error light, I'm in UK, the side light laws may vary to driving in other countries, example, side lights could be classed as parking lights so the vehicle would drive with side lights on, then when headlights are switched on the side lights would go off maybe to what ever the cars been programmed. other way is to wire another separate supply from the battery or ignition via relay/ switch and operate angel eyes separately, or connect angel eyes to headlights.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #14
The Black Sheep
Professional Driver
United_States
Rep

It's the car and not the Angel Eyes. I put in a set of AE's from a different manufacturer that specifically indicates these are for Pre 03/07 and they do the exact same thing. Time to download some software, learn some German, and start coding my own car...

EDIT: Or maybe not... seems I may have been sent the wrong version from this other vendor. I've customized many vehicles before and never had so many headaches as I have with this BMW.

Last edited by The Black Sheep; 04-26-2016 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #15
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Man

Add a 2200uf capacitor to the AE circuit. This works very well for me on the earlier 2007 models.
Appreciate 0