E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > MHD+30% E85

04-15-2016, 03:53 PM   #1
N54Angel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335XI

MHD+30% E85

Is it safe on a stock 335XI. 70% 91 Octane. I have a few friends that do this and say the pros are amazing. I get MHD in 1 week or less after the parts come in. Can anyone list me pros and cons? And what map I would have to run on MHD in order to run a mix of E85
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 04:22 PM   #2
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

log and make sure you lpfp is keeping up. some stock can, some cant
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #3
N54Angel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Lpfp=??
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 04:37 PM   #4
csu87
Banned
Rep

low pressure fuel pump

that will be your limiting factor stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 04:38 PM   #5
N54Angel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Alright, what tune should I run with MHD
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 04:47 PM   #6
csu87
Banned
Rep

not to be a dick but there are thousands of posts with this info.

start with the MHD thread and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #7
N54Angel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That's fine and I understand, but I only get on this forum with my phone and every time I try to search anything up I get a lost connection message. So believe me I have tried but that message constantly pops up -.-"
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #8
csu87
Banned
Rep

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1096247

not sure if there is an e30 map specifically, but that thread will be a great place to start.

There is a canned e40 map, but it may be too much e85 for your stock fuel system
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 08:17 PM   #9
damonp335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
What mods do you have? An intercooler is definitely a necessity if your running the canned e40 map through MHD but FBO or "full bolt-ons" are recommended. Your stock CP or "charge pipe" will blow apart also so a metal one isn't necessarily a requirement but it certainly will be once your stock one is in pieces. Buy the MHD flasher module so that way you could log data..get into 3rd gear and start the log from 2800ish rpm full throttle all the way until redline and then shift into 4th for a second or two and end the log. Your low pressure fuel sensor should read above 50 to insure that the car is running safely and keeping up with the increased fuel demand. Also, use this: https://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html . This will help you narrow down a 40% mixture. You can also buy an ethanol testing kit for fairly cheap off amazon but I just made one.. Its good to test the content of ethanol wherever you plan to fill up because it can vary from 70% all the way up to 85%.. Just because it is called "e85" doesn't mean its guaranteed 85% ethanol.. Also keep in mind that most pump gas contains 10% ethanol already, so make sure to factor that into your math when looking to get an e40 blend. I usually do 8 gallons of e85 and 8 gallons of 93 when I make my mixture which is theoretically about 45%.. a little bit over the requirement which my car seems to like.. But be prepared to buy a clutch because the stock one doesn't like the torque. Good luck!
2008 335i Coupe / Alpine White / 6MT / Fully Built Motiv Closed-Deck Motor / Motiv ST Kit / XR 105/69S / Motiv Twin Disc / VRSF 7.5 FMIC / ActiveAutowerke Exhaust / EOS Intake Manifold w/ 1050cc injectors / TiaL BOV / External VTA PCV / Quaife LSD / DSS Axles / KW V3Coilovers
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2016, 08:27 PM   #10
N54Angel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That was very useful information. And yea I will buy the flasher module to read my logs. I'll post this all up once the cord comes in. Super exited. And I need to do more research on e85. Apparently there is way much more to know then I expected
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 09:05 PM   #11
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Angel View Post
That was very useful information. And yea I will buy the flasher module to read my logs. I'll post this all up once the cord comes in. Super exited. And I need to do more research on e85. Apparently there is way much more to know then I expected
Just some further advice, do more research on tuning and logging in general not just e85 research. Keep up with regular maintenence extensively and know which mods are needed/highly recommended
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 10:32 PM   #12
xyaaeg234g234
happy.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black n54is View Post
Just some further advice, do more research on tuning and logging in general not just e85 research. Keep up with regular maintenence extensively and know which mods are needed/highly recommended
+1 ^^

Also know that your regular schedule replacements on things like ignition coils and plugs will be reduced to roughly half - so if plugs are say 50k, now they will probably be 25k.

You'll be running the engine harder and faster, parts that wear will wear quicker and anything that is getting ready to go, will probably go sooner.

Get an FMIC ASAP - though you're in CO and don't deal with southern heat+humidity, it's a great first investment to keep this already hot running engine cooled down a bit. You may want to next invest in a more solid charge pipe rather than the plastic OEM, as you'll be pushing more boost and a metal CP will hold pressure better than plastic.

If your car is high mileage and you haven't recently, a walnut blast/cleaning would be advisable. Of course the big ones are your turbos themselves, high pressure and low pressure fuel pump.

Take care of the engine and components and she'll take care of you when you ask her to push harder with a tune. Good luck!

ALSO DO NOT FORGET TO KEEP YOUR BATTERY ON A CHARGER WHILE FLASHING!! THIS IS IMPERATIVE!!!

You can remove the fuel pump fuse (fuse panel behind glove box, check layout card and manual to confirm fuse#) to reduce some of the drain while you're flashing - but you need to make sure you have a SOLID battery charger going to keep that battery chugging. I was recommended a 10A minimum, grabbed one from Autozone for $99 and it worked flawlessly. Roll your windows down, turn off radio and AC as well as any other accessories (GPS, phone, etc) to ensure minimal drain.. and don't open/close the door or basically do ANYTHING to/in the car while flashing. I used a super long USB cord and set my phone on my hood near the charger and sat with a cold drink watching battery voltage and flash %. Put your phone/tablet/whatever in AIRPORT mode while flashing and don't touch it for anything, expect to be 'disconnected' for about an hour. Oh and backup your stock BIN through MHD before you do ANYTHING.
      04-15-2016, 10:35 PM   #13
E92KS
HashSlingingSlasher
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335I

As others have mentioned:
Before you do anything, make sure you have a healthy set of plugs and coils. Check your intake valves and keep an eye on your battery while you are flashing/reading the ecu. And most importantly.. log log log log log log.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 11:19 PM   #14
N54Angel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigymix
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black n54is View Post
+1 ^^

Also know that your regular schedule replacements on things like ignition coils and plugs will be reduced to roughly half - so if plugs are say 50k, now they will probably be 25k.

You'll be running the engine harder and faster, parts that wear will wear quicker and anything that is getting ready to go, will probably go sooner.

Get an FMIC ASAP - though you're in CO and don't deal with southern heat+humidity, it's a great first investment to keep this already hot running engine cooled down a bit. You may want to next invest in a more solid charge pipe rather than the plastic OEM, as you'll be pushing more boost and a metal CP will hold pressure better than plastic.

If your car is high mileage and you haven't recently, a walnut blast/cleaning would be advisable. Of course the big ones are your turbos themselves, high pressure and low pressure fuel pump.

Take care of the engine and components and she'll take care of you when you ask her to push harder with a tune. Good luck!

ALSO DO NOT FORGET TO KEEP YOUR BATTERY ON A CHARGER WHILE FLASHING!! THIS IS IMPERATIVE!!!

You can remove the fuel pump fuse (fuse panel behind glove box, check layout card and manual to confirm fuse#) to reduce some of the drain while you're flashing - but you need to make sure you have a SOLID battery charger going to keep that battery chugging. I was recommended a 10A minimum, grabbed one from Autozone for $99 and it worked flawlessly. Roll your windows down, turn off radio and AC as well as any other accessories (GPS, phone, etc) to ensure minimal drain.. and don't open/close the door or basically do ANYTHING to/in the car while flashing. I used a super long USB cord and set my phone on my hood near the charger and sat with a cold drink watching battery voltage and flash %. Put your phone/tablet/whatever in AIRPORT mode while flashing and don't touch it for anything, expect to be 'disconnected' for about an hour. Oh and backup your stock BIN through MHD before you do ANYTHING.
The previous owner did all brand new coils and injectors so I should be in the clear. Although he never mentioned anything about a walnut blast. And I have already ordered a new "charge pipe" as well. I should be getting the cables and BMS Cowl filters and Charge pipe all at the same time. I'm going to be spending more time with my car. Thank you. I will make sure to log. Since I am new to all this. How do you log? Is there an option on the phone?
Appreciate 0