BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

04-15-2016, 05:40 AM   #1
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Update for UK owners around extended warranty

So, some of you will know that I have been fighting Mondial/Allianz on their stance around modifications for over a year now with regards to specifically the BMW extended warranty which is different terms compared to the original BMW manufacturers warranty.

Bottom line is I have been unsuccessful and they have basically left the matter very grey...

Their terms state that any modifications at all will invalidate the warranty of the entire car so this is what I have been fighting..

They have gone as far as to say (the grey bit) that "at their discretion they may invalidate the full policy/claim if any aftermarket parts are used"...

They have also refused to respond to any further dialogue but will comply with the financial obunsman if we get to this situation...

Therefore, bottom line for me personally as I need a warranty on the car is that I will not be able to get an exhaust etc etc...

They have however stated that an Akrovopic exhaust is allowed as its basically the same as the M performance version...

Cant say im overly happy as the appear to have taken a very narrowminded and quite frankly STUPID and UNREASONABLE stance
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 10:07 AM   #2
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330 e46 Vert, Bmw ind F10

At least you didn't already take it and God forbid have the shock of the your life in the event of a claim.

Strange..

So many M5's on the used market now, what would happen if you brought one in good faith and the said owners prior to your ownership tinkered with "mods" unbeknownst to you.. It's not like they check the cars over before they provide cover..

Sounds like typical insurance.. Weasel out of anything when they can.

Malcolm X
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer-boy View Post
At least you didn't already take it and God forbid have the shock of the your life in the event of a claim.

Strange..

So many M5's on the used market now, what would happen if you brought one in good faith and the said owners prior to your ownership tinkered with "mods" unbeknownst to you.. It's not like they check the cars over before they provide cover..

Sounds like typical insurance.. Weasel out of anything when they can.
Completely agree with you...Their stance is that you (the customer) "accepted the terms and conditions when you bought the policy which says no modifications - no one is forcing you to purchase the warranty" however its still probably less hassle dealing with these idiots compared to warranty directly etc etc unless anyone else wants to chime in with some decent and positive personally experiences
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 10:29 AM   #4
beemarman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix Convetible

If you have a good relationship with your dealer then all is good as far as some mods are concerned.

I mean things like downpipes or performance modification are probably going to get you into trouble if the engine or the drivetrain was to fail, but things like lowered suspension, changing alloys or other small mods can probably pass with some dealers.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 04:18 AM   #5
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemarman View Post
If you have a good relationship with your dealer then all is good as far as some mods are concerned.

I mean things like downpipes or performance modification are probably going to get you into trouble if the engine or the drivetrain was to fail, but things like lowered suspension, changing alloys or other small mods can probably pass with some dealers.
That is what I am hoping it will come down to...I will need to replace a door handle due to a comfort access issue in a couple of weeks via the warranty so I am going to test this as my car has a few "cosmetic mods"

However, if I were to get an OEM exhaust, this type of mod is a "little more in your" face so could be more of a risk but maybe one day I will in fact take this risk!
Appreciate 0