E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Wash/Wax Opinions

04-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #1
thanksfornothing
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Wash/Wax Opinions

Hey All,

As I just recently purchased my first BMW I don't simply want to run it through a generic car wash place and risk reused water/scratches/etc.

I tried searching the forum for a post like this but couldn't find anything too specific.

1) How often do you wash? Do you hand wash, auto wash, or use the U-wash-it type places? I used to wash my car every other week to get salt/dirt off when I lived in the great white north that is New England, but those aren't really a concern in the Mid-Atlantic.

2) How often do you wax, and what brand do you use? I've never waxed a car before but I want to treat the BMW with some respect.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #2
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

I go through a touchless wash a few times a week. I have a membership and it does a pretty good job.

Wax is Wax don't waste too much money on it.

Last edited by BravoJohny33; 04-14-2016 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbhaigh View Post
Hey All,

As I just recently purchased my first BMW I don't simply want to run it through a generic car wash place and risk reused water/scratches/etc.

I tried searching the forum for a post like this but couldn't find anything too specific.

1) How often do you wash? Do you hand wash, auto wash, or use the U-wash-it type places? I used to wash my car every other week to get salt/dirt off when I lived in the great white north that is New England, but those aren't really a concern in the Mid-Atlantic.

2) How often do you wax, and what brand do you use? I've never waxed a car before but I want to treat the BMW with some respect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoJohny33 View Post
I go through a touchless wash a few times a week. I have a membership and it does a pretty good job.

Wax is Wax don't waste too much money on it.
Don't listen to this guy ^

Here you go OP
http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

I ONLY hand wash/polish/wax and have used meguires products
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 11:18 AM   #4
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black n54is View Post

Here you go OP

Meguires is one of the waxes I would recommended but wait until you get the Wax nuts in here that swear by some wax that costs 50 bucks like Zylmol

Even turtle wax is pretty good these days so I am not sure what wax out there does a shitty job or is hard to remove. Seriously find me a horrible wax. You cant

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...KE9RSEQX0DPC17
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 11:20 AM   #5
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

I usually wash once a week or every other week. I use the two bucket method with a grit guard in the bucket I use to rinse off the mitt. As for "wax" I use sonax polymer netshield, my car is parked outside 24/7 and so far I've found that even after 3-4 months the sealant is still holding up fine.
      04-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #6
thanksfornothing
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black n54is View Post

Here you go OP

Wow, how did I miss that entire section. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 11:30 AM   #7
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

Always hand wash it yourself if you can. I never take my cars to those places that dry your car off after you pull through. I may be anal, but I've watched those guys waiting for cars to pull out. They'll drop the towel on the ground and then dry your car with it. Sure your car doesn't have dirt on it and its dry, but now it's scratched all to hell! As far as polish and wax goes, Meguiars is a nice product. Everyone has their opinion, but I would suggest buying a few different kinds and see what you like to work with best. Things can work very different depending on the environment you're working in.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #8
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

I opti coated my car, so I don't have to worry about wax, or even polishing. You could also get c quarz applied which is even shinier and lasts like 5 years

I wash my car once a week. Lately I've been using dry me crazy towels and some products I bough from a profesional detailer . They all work great

I find white cars and black cars do required more care.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 12:04 PM   #9
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbhaigh View Post
Hey All,

It's all going depend on how anal you get with it (and whether you enjoy and get into it), in my experience the further you go down the rabbit hole with paint correction the more annoyed you get by small scratches no one else will see.

If I were you, I would start with buying a Harbor Freight DA, a 6.5" finishing pad (I wouldn't recommend the HF pads, Autozone has a good Griots one), some microfiber towels for removing wax, and Meguiars Mirror Glaze Cleaner Wax. IMHO, the DA will pay for itself in the hour you save on your first wax, you can just buy a microfiber applicator and do it by hand instead.

The cleaner wax will do some polishing, and if that's good enough for you, you will have a very economical way to get your car waxed every couple months.

If that's not good enough, sit back, grab some popcorn and marathon Junkman2000's (User Junkman2008 on this forum) youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZDRjGHmR-CbWJR
You'll learn about Claying, 2 Bucket Washing, Compounding and Polishing (Paint Correction), Waxing, Spray Wax and Quick Detailers, Drying ...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #10
Culichor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Sienna 11' 335is vert

At home hand wash.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #11
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
It's all going depend on how anal you get with it (and whether you enjoy and get into it), in my experience the further you go down the rabbit hole with paint correction the more annoyed you get by small scratches no one else will see.

If I were you, I would start with buying a Harbor Freight DA, a 6.5" finishing pad (I wouldn't recommend the HF pads, Autozone has a good Griots one), some microfiber towels for removing wax, and Meguiars Mirror Glaze Cleaner Wax. IMHO, the DA will pay for itself in the hour you save on your first wax, you can just buy a microfiber applicator and do it by hand instead.

The cleaner wax will do some polishing, and if that's good enough for you, you will have a very economical way to get your car waxed every couple months.

If that's not good enough, sit back, grab some popcorn and marathon Junkman2000's (User Junkman2008 on this forum) youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZDRjGHmR-CbWJR
You'll learn about Claying, 2 Bucket Washing, Compounding and Polishing (Paint Correction), Waxing, Spray Wax and Quick Detailers, Drying ...

This and you are constantly looking for "better" products when OTC stuff is good enough.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 12:50 PM   #12
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

I wax once before winter and once after winter, paint still shiny after 10 years. Turtle wax gets the job done.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #13
zoppp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 528i

I use collonite 845 wax. Got it for like $15 on Amazon and it is still beading water 2 months after the first application.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #14
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

IMO BravoJohnny is correct.

I wash my car in a Brown Bear car wash whenever it's dirty - I go for the medium option which adds a water-based wax. I maybe wash a couple times a month each winter, but it's more like once a month in most cases.

There's a wash/detail shop in our condo's garage, but I haven't used them.

It's a car, not your wife. No need to coddle the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 07:43 PM   #15
barefootin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e91

Never went through an automatic car wash... Never, not in anything.... Never had a car washed at a "charity" wash either...

Hand wash or regular do it yourself car wash.

Maguires products are what I use. I only wax once a year right before the heat of summer hits, mostly due to (7) cars and a busy lifestyle. However, I do a spray wax/detailer every wash. Keeps a nice depth to the paint and on the e91 wagon, even keeps the crud from building up around the hatch and rear bumper.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 07:49 PM   #16
larrysing
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport, Nav/Blinds

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoppp View Post
I use collonite 845 wax. Got it for like $15 on Amazon and it is still beading water 2 months after the first application.
If you have wood inside the car, use Collinite 845 on the wood. Works WONDERS and keeps it SLICK and SHINY for months !!
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2016, 09:17 PM   #17
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootin View Post
Never went through an automatic car wash... Never, not in anything.... Never had a car washed at a "charity" wash either...

Hand wash or regular do it yourself car wash.

Maguires products are what I use. I only wax once a year right before the heat of summer hits, mostly due to (7) cars and a busy lifestyle. However, I do a spray wax/detailer every wash. Keeps a nice depth to the paint and on the e91 wagon, even keeps the crud from building up around the hatch and rear bumper.
Touch Free washes do ZERO dmg to the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 10:22 PM   #18
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Unless it has an automated wheel curber.

Or, some would argue, uses poorly filtered recycled water or chemicals that degrade wax faster than a regular car wash soap.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 10:33 PM   #19
Brettb1234
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 6MT 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8
Quote:

Or, some would argue, uses poorly filtered recycled water or chemicals that degrade wax faster than a regular car wash soap.
That pic makes me want to
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 11:08 PM   #20
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep

Quote:

Touchless washes do not use those.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 11:12 PM   #21
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Touchless washes do not use those.
Some do, unfortunately. Forces the front wheel on the pressure switch/saddle and centers the car.

Most of the newer ones (even the soft cloth ones) are doing away with them, but in my area most washes are at least a few years old.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 11:15 PM   #22
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Some do, unfortunately. Forces the front wheel on the pressure switch/saddle and centers the car.

Most of the newer ones (even the soft cloth ones) are doing away with them, but in my area most washes are at least a few years old.
I go to a state of the art touchless wash built this year. Its pretty amazing and uses none of that stuff. It even uses hot water and does an amazing job. A few months ago my friend got a new car and he signed up for the touchless wash club first thing. Goes through there 3 times a week and parks his car outside. Looks spotless. He has spray on wax package so does not have to worry about degrading wax.
Appreciate 0