E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Will BMW NA step up, on airbag recalls?

04-12-2016, 12:24 AM   #1
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Will BMW NA step up, on airbag recalls?

Will BMW NA step up and do the right thing for customers who own vehicles that have known airbag recalls? I for one don't plan to buy any of the vehicles on the recall list until the vehicles are fixed. While currently the issue is with the driver side air bags... I'm willing to bet that all Takata airbags are going to eventually need to be replaced.

Does that mean my vehicle now instantly has a diminished resale value? I'm willing to bet it does I have also been eye'ing a CPO 2013 X5M... but those are also on the recall lists. So no point in owning another death trap that I shouldn't be driving on the road.

Has anyone made the effort to contact BMW NA to get a rental or loaner vehicle to use? It's already been established that issues with inflators have happened in vehicles that were NOT in humid areas as well. Actually I would prefer it if BMW could just disable or remove the airbags from the car. I'm perfectly happy with driving in a car and using the old skool method of a seat belt to save my life.

Acura is already providing rental cars to owners of their cars and have asked those owners to stop making payments on the vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 05:35 AM   #2
muncie21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335ix

I received my airbag notice the other day. The notice also said my dealer doesn't have any replacements in stock
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2016, 06:08 AM   #3
Boland01
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535ix, 2008, 2007 335i

I also got the recall notice and it said I'd be notified when the replacement airbags are ready.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 06:29 AM   #4
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Will BMW NA step up and do the right thing for customers who own vehicles that have known airbag recalls? I for one don't plan to buy any of the vehicles on the recall list until the vehicles are fixed. While currently the issue is with the driver side air bags... I'm willing to bet that all Takata airbags are going to eventually need to be replaced.

Does that mean my vehicle now instantly has a diminished resale value? I'm willing to bet it does I have also been eye'ing a CPO 2013 X5M... but those are also on the recall lists. So no point in owning another death trap that I shouldn't be driving on the road.

Has anyone made the effort to contact BMW NA to get a rental or loaner vehicle to use? It's already been established that issues with inflators have happened in vehicles that were NOT in humid areas as well. Actually I would prefer it if BMW could just disable or remove the airbags from the car. I'm perfectly happy with driving in a car and using the old skool method of a seat belt to save my life.

Acura is already providing rental cars to owners of their cars and have asked those owners to stop making payments on the vehicles.
Check out this thread. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1241639&page=5

That person contacted BMW NA and was able to get a rental. I contacted them via email on Saturday to see what my options were. I should hear back from them today as they're not there over the weekend.

I'll let you know what I hear from them.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 09:04 AM   #5
HCGxKaLiBeR
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54 335i Convertible

I'm suppose to get it dropped off for the recall and get a rental. However, their service manager called me and said the air bags are on back order, they had to reschedule the appointment : (
      04-12-2016, 09:48 AM   #6
piker28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335xi

My concern with the rental is that now your car will just sit on their lot? Maybe even put it in some type of storage facility? I know the risk to drive but from my dealer days any car that sat around for to long definitely got poor treatment.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 09:53 AM   #7
Kevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 Alpine White 6MT

Quote:

I think your being overly dramatic i get in my 07 335i and 11 x5 and dont worry about it
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #8
Nicky92
Fastest 335 on Earth
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

You all need to calm down. There's only so much they can do.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 10:24 AM   #9
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckedhim
Quote:

Check out this thread. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...639&page=5

That person contacted BMW NA and was able to get a rental. I contacted them via email on Saturday to see what my options were. I should hear back from them today as they're not there over the weekend.

I'll let you know what I hear from them.
Please keep us posted I would like to know as well. I'm tired of hearing people call out other people for not wanting to drive the car with a potential bomb going off in the face. This was not an issue caused by us this was a manufacturer error they should be catering to our every need.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 10:28 AM   #10
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimE92 View Post
Please keep us posted I would like to know as well. I'm tired of hearing people call out other people for not wanting to drive the car with a potential bomb going off in the face. This was not an issue caused by us this was a manufacturer error they should be catering to our every need.
I got a response from BMW NA that said they have assigned someone to research my inquiry and he will be calling me.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 10:28 AM   #11
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by piker28 View Post
My concern with the rental is that now your car will just sit on their lot? Maybe even put it in some type of storage facility? I know the risk to drive but from my dealer days any car that sat around for to long definitely got poor treatment.
Your car will not sit on their lot. Why would they waste the space?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #12
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

The Takata recall affects more than 40 million vehicles worldwide (approx. 34+ million potentially affected in the US). They include the following car brands.
Acura
Lexus
BMW
Mazda
Chrysler
Mitsubishi
Dodge
Nissan
Ford
Subaru
General Motors (includes Pontiac, Saab)
Toyota
Honda
Infiniti

According to the NHTSA, of April 7, 2016, 7,522,533 air bags have been replaced. Now with more than 40+ million air bags to replace, you can’t expect a recall like this to be done in a snap. There is a process, or guideline, that must be followed and it takes time for suppliers to get all the air bag components, put together all the essential parts, and send them to the respective dealers for installation.

I got the recall notice on my 2010 335i last week. And on my 2005 Mustang GT, I got it last year. When I talked to a Ford customer service agent about my Mustang, they said they’re replacing as soon as the air bag replacement parts come available in accordance to priority. Since my vehicle is 2005, it has a higher priority over new models, but I am still waiting for the official call to bring it in. However, I am not panicking whatsoever. When the time comes, it'll come.

Now while you’re waiting for your official call to bring it in, drive safely and responsively, be alert of your surroundings at all times, don’t text and drive, don’t tailgate, etc, etc. Or, go back to the basics of what you learned in driving school or whatever driver education you took back when you were a teen. If you do that, you won’t ever get into an accident that would cause your air bag to deploy and you’ll be fine. Just common sense.

As far as how it affects the value of your car, it’s an important supplementary safety device. You can’t put a price on safety.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #13
R608
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i M-Sport (RWD/6MT)

Quote:
In principle, sure. But the reality is this is an enormous recall and to put everyone in a rental until their airbag can be replaced is simply not realistic. According to the recall notice I received from BMW they are not currently aware of any ruptures of the airbag used in at least my model with the sport wheel. The concern is certainly understandable, but let's keep it in perspective.

Last edited by R608; 04-12-2016 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #14
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R608
Quote:
In principle, sure. But the reality is this is an enormous recall and to put everyone in a rental until their airbag can be replaced is simply not realistic. According to the recall notice I received from BMW they are not currently aware of any ruptures of the airbags used in our models. The concern is understandable, but let's keep it in perspective.
I agree with you 100% my comment was more directed at those who act as if though safety is not a factor. I've googled a couple of images of crashes of the Takata made airbags kill people and it's not a pretty site to say the least. It would be nice to drive a loaner or rental on bmws dime though
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #15
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

No Parts. Car was in for service last week.
It took nine months to get parts for my Dodge Magnum.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 09:48 PM   #16
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
There needs to be a little perspective here. The chances of being injured by the airbag in a BMW is really minimal. At this point, BMW is recalling ALL of the Takata airbags they ever used for liability reasons. The very last thing they every want to deal with is a plaintiff's lawyer saying "but you KNEW this was a possibility, and you did nothing". So even with a vanishingly small chance of an issue, they issued the recall.

For perspective, out of 40 million possible defective airbags, there have been something less than 200 injuries and a handful of deaths. You are at much greater risk of injury getting in and out of the shower every day.

I guess if you are THAT worried you could always wear a full-face helmet and a neck guard while driving.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 2
      04-13-2016, 12:42 AM   #17
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1
There needs to be a little perspective here. The chances of being injured by the airbag in a BMW is really minimal. At this point, BMW is recalling ALL of the Takata airbags they ever used for liability reasons. The very last thing they every want to deal with is a plaintiff's lawyer saying "but you KNEW this was a possibility, and you did nothing". So even with a vanishingly small chance of an issue, they issued the recall.

For perspective, out of 40 million possible defective airbags, there have been something less than 200 injuries and a handful of deaths. You are at much greater risk of injury getting in and out of the shower every day.

I guess if you are THAT worried you could always wear a full-face helmet and a neck guard while driving.
I already wear a helmet guess all I'm missing is the neck guard
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 12:29 AM   #18
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinl View Post
I think your being overly dramatic i get in my 07 335i and 11 x5 and dont worry about it
You know... everyday someone new is getting killed by a Takata airbag. While no one yet has been unlucky in the Takata airbag roulette game... doesn't mean that tomorrow YOU won't be the first victim?

I'm not sure about you... but I do have something to look forward to in my life and a family to take care of, so I do worry about the Takata Airbag Roulette game that I must play everyday. Sometimes poop happens and even with the best of intentions we can all freeze up in a moment of surprise and get into a very simple fender bender and that would set off the computer to fire the airbags which would KILL ME rather than save my life.

Just saying.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2016, 12:36 AM   #19
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If they don't have to reprogram

If they don't have to reprogram swapping in the new air bag
should not take that long.
I am worried about a meteorite strike and nuclear war given
the current political situation.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 05:37 AM   #20
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
You know... everyday someone new is getting killed by a Takata airbag. While no one yet has been unlucky in the Takata airbag roulette game... doesn't mean that tomorrow YOU won't be the first victim?

I'm not sure about you... but I do have something to look forward to in my life and a family to take care of, so I do worry about the Takata Airbag Roulette game that I must play everyday. Sometimes poop happens and even with the best of intentions we can all freeze up in a moment of surprise and get into a very simple fender bender and that would set off the computer to fire the airbags which would KILL ME rather than save my life.

Just saying.
If you are that worried, go find the crash sensors in the bumper and disconnect them. Put up with the airbag light until the parts come in. Reconnect the crash sensors before taking the car in for the swap. Simple.
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 06:04 AM   #21
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

This is kind of clutch. Need to fix the emblem on the steering wheel lmao which required a new airbag if you want to replace vs. a stick on. I have a stick on now but it bugs be cause I can see the original outline below it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 06:37 AM   #22
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep

I got a call back from BMW NA yesterday and they told me to contact my local dealership to talk about getting a rental. So I guess if you have questions about getting a rental while waiting, contact your dealership instead of BMW NA as they won't offer much help.
Appreciate 0