F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Idiots on cam
proTUNING Freaks

04-10-2016, 03:58 AM   #1
workshybum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Given the lack of any teaston dash cam videos this week, I thought I'd upload one of my own from yesterday.

What do you think goes through these peoples minds?

Idiot 1 pulls out onto the roundabout in front of me then proceeds to come to a complete stop, blocking my exit. Then, when Idiot 1 is finally out of my way, Idiot 2 swerves from the left lane, for no reason, almost taking my front wing with him.

Granted, I accelerated onto the roundabout fairly quickly, which *may* explain why Idiot 1 pulled out, but not why he stopped. As for Idiot 2, I can only assume that he pulled out deliberately to block my path?

What are you thoughts?

Edit: Don't know how to embed video so it's viewable here

Edit2: Seems to have done it itself?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 04:07 AM   #2
AlfaM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340d

I would say that it was your fault for accelerating so quick. Idiot one saw a resonable gap and went for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 04:08 AM   #3
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

People do tend to be poor at judging speed of other cars and tend to pull out.

Happens loads on the roundabout just before the M6 and M6 toll.

Poor lane discipline as well causes lots of problems, not using the right lane entering, while on and exiting roundabout.

However saying that my mate had 3 accidents on roundabouts, where while he may not have been direct cause, flinging it around roundabout at 60mph contributed.

Suffered that a few times around here, about to pull out and some cock going to fast for other road users expectations.

Then once we have something happen on around about, it's a nightmare.

Yeah first person a bit of a knob, the second I think just wanted away from you both.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 04:15 AM   #4
workshybum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Like I said, my brisk acceleration may have been a factor for the first guy, but I was going no more than 30mph and was well and truly on the roundabout before he made his move. I gave him the benefit of the doubt for the initial pull out, but why did he then stop unless he wanted me to drive into him?

As for the second guy, if he wanted out of the way, why pull out into my lane for no reason?

For the record, I'm not claiming I'm faultless here just trying to understand why you'd stop in the middle of a roundabout?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 04:42 AM   #5
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I think given that you're not having a go at the guy for pulling out in to the roundabout, but for stopping I think it's a reasonable question. Three thoughts come to my mind...

1) They were trying to cause a crash for insurance scam purposes

2) They just shat themselves that they were about to get crashed in to and came to a panic stop

3) They were pissed at you so stopped to annoy you and make some kind of point

When I have rants at other drivers for being a bit crap, my wife always points out that how I drive, and the level of anticipation/awareness/confidence, and desire to make quick and efficient progress is not realistic to expect of in other road users. It's a fair point, but one I struggle with. She reminds me that whilst it all seems obvious to me how one should drive, others find it more difficult, get flustered, make poor decisions, don't care, etc etc

As for the second driver, I suspect he was trying to make a point, or to piss you off.

Roundabout etiquette is a wierd one though... I do come on to roundabouts very often without stopping, which makes sense to me (always looking to go, but prepared to stop v many other drivers who always look to stop and then decide), but I accept that it will lead to other drivers perhaps misjudging a decision to go or not. But you can usually tell whether it was a misjudgement, or just a cheeky fecker who doesn't care.

I actually wonder if traffic flow in this country would be improved by more people just going on to roundabouts in reasonable gaps, and also tereby expecting that this is what others do. I notice this is more how roundabouts work in other European countries- a greater sense of reasonable flow/give and take, than a more dogmatic sense of waiting for a proper gap we have with most in the UK.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2016, 04:44 AM   #6
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4, Lotus and Lancia

I don't think you are 'whiter than white' on this one, sorry.

I learnt many years ago that you have to let things like this wash over you otherwise you will be heading for the cardiac ward.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 04:48 AM   #7
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I think given that you're not having a go at the guy for pulling out in to the roundabout, but for stopping I think it's a reasonable question. Three thoughts come to my mind...

1) They were trying to cause a crash for insurance scam purposes

2) They just shat themselves that they were about to get crashed in to and came to a panic stop

3) They were pissed at you so stopped to annoy you and make some kind of point

When I have rants at other drivers for being a bit crap, my wife always points out that how I drive, and the level of anticipation/awareness/confidence, and desire to make quick and efficient progress is not realistic to expect of in other road users. It's a fair point, but one I struggle with. She reminds me that whilst it all seems obvious to me how one should drive, others find it more difficult, get flustered, make poor decisions, don't care, etc etc

As for the second driver, I suspect he was trying to make a point, or to piss you off.

Roundabout etiquette is a wierd one though... I do come on to roundabouts very often without stopping, which makes sense to me (always looking to go, but prepared to stop v many other drivers who always look to stop and then decide), but I accept that it will lead to other drivers perhaps misjudging a decision to go or not. But you can usually tell whether it was a misjudgement, or just a cheeky fecker who doesn't care.

I actually wonder if traffic flow in this country would be improved by more people just going on to roundabouts in reasonable gaps, and also tereby expecting that this is what others do. I notice this is more how roundabouts work in other European countries- a greater sense of reasonable flow/give and take, than a more dogmatic sense of waiting for a proper gap we have with most in the UK.
How we treat roundabouts around the UK seems different as well.

In the West Midlands, they take for fucking ever to pull away from junctions, lights, etc, whereas in Cambridge it was far more relaxed and no fuckwits trying to think like you do in West Midlands.

I rarely pause at roundabouts and invariably have to brake at last moment.

People seem to confuse give way with stop and fail to look as they approach junctions, expecting just to stop.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2016, 05:04 AM   #8
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep
Drives: 420d M-Sport

My view is the Skoda was driven by a woman or an older gentleman who panicked when they saw you coming and the Mazda driver is just a jerk.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 05:04 AM   #9
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
How we treat roundabouts around the UK seems different as well.

I rarely pause at roundabouts and invariably have to brake at last moment.

People seem to confuse give way with stop and fail to look as they approach junctions, expecting just to stop.
Yes that's indeed the case. But ask 10 people (general public, not on a car forum) and you'll get a wide spread of attitudes to roundabouts and how to best deal with them. The highway code itself is vague, it just says "give priority to traffic coming from the right". So many interpret that as needing a clear gap and no traffic in sight, whereas I think if i can get on to the roundabout and up to average speed of flow on it without another driver having to alter speed or direction then that's fair enough. But British drivers often see that as "not waiting your turn" even if they're tearing round the roundabout at a ridiculous speed.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 05:33 AM   #10
workshybum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1966
I don't think you are 'whiter than white' on this one, sorry.

I learnt many years ago that you have to let things like this wash over you otherwise you will be heading for the cardiac ward.
I never claimed to be, in fact happily admitted that I'm not!

I'm not even pissed about it, just soliciting opinions.

I actually anticipated him entering the roundabout, but I wrongly assumed he would be turning left from that position.

I suspect Tengo is right, probably shat himself and came to a panic stop.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 05:35 AM   #11
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes that's indeed the case. But ask 10 people (general public, not on a car forum) and you'll get a wide spread of attitudes to roundabouts and how to best deal with them. The highway code itself is vague, it just says "give priority to traffic coming from the right". So many interpret that as needing a clear gap and no traffic in sight, whereas I think if i can get on to the roundabout and up to average speed of flow on it without another driver having to alter speed or direction then that's fair enough. But British drivers often see that as "not waiting your turn" even if they're tearing round the roundabout at a ridiculous speed.
Yeah as mentioned my mate crashed his Porsche 3 times on roundabouts, driving to fast and figuring that people expect slower traffic.

The final crash he actually wrote it off against a lorry, lucky he was not road kill.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 06:01 AM   #12
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Think no 1 was as pointed panick plop stop.

No2 think got flustered whilst trying to undertake and saw you moving again and fluffed a change perhaps.

For what it's worth you didn't seem to be going that fast
      04-10-2016, 06:16 AM   #13
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4, Lotus and Lancia

Quote:
Originally Posted by workshybum View Post

I actually anticipated him entering the roundabout, but I wrongly assumed he would be turning left from that position.

Referring to the other parties as idiots may be the giveaway
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 06:50 AM   #14
workshybum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by workshybum View Post

Referring to the other parties as idiots may be the giveaway
One can acknowledge the idiocy of others without getting annoyed by it. It takes quite a lot to push my buttons.
They were probably using much more colourful terms in reference to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 06:54 AM   #15
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

My opinion,for what it's worth is you entered the roundabout too aggressively and with poor acceleration sense.The Skoda seems like they made their decision to move on and then realised after they had committed themselves,that you were accelerating towards them.
I'm not saying that you were travelling at an excessive speed,just that you're not giving yourself much margin for error.A quick scan at the cars waiting to move forward at the point that you entered the roundabout should have built a picture of either its capabilities or even possible driver capabilities.
I think the subsequent reaction from the Skoda driver was a simple "fuck you," and whilst not right,had the desired effect from his perspective.
The Mazda drive may have been looking at the pair of you and just drifted.Crap driving from them,either way...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 06:56 AM   #16
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 06:59 AM   #17
workshybum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911
My opinion,for what it's worth is you entered the roundabout too aggressively and with poor acceleration sense.The Skoda seems like they made their decision to move on and then realised after they had committed themselves,that you were accelerating towards them.
I'm not saying that you were travelling at an excessive speed,just that you're not giving yourself much margin for error.A quick scan at the cars waiting to move forward at the point that you entered the roundabout should have built a picture of either its capabilities or even possible driver capabilities.
I think the subsequent reaction from the Skoda driver was a simple "fuck you," and whilst not right,had the desired effect from his perspective.
The Mazda drive may have been looking at the pair of you and just drifted.Crap driving from them,either way...
I partly agree with you as I have already admitted I did enter the roundabout fairly briskly. As I said in an earlier post, I had anticipated that one may enter the roundabout, my mistake was assuming he would turn left from that lane. Knowing the roundabout fairly well I also knew there was a possibility he would turn right and allowed for this possibility too, by lifting off as soon as he started to move. I would, however, expect from normal people, that self preservation would make you drive out of the danger zone rather than stop in the middle of it.

As for margin for error, the fact that I didn't crash into him would suggest that my anticipation, expectation and subsequent actions were adequate.

I should also state that I didn't post this video to try to apportion blame to any particular party and am happy to accept my role in the situation was a contributing factor - I just thought it was an good piece of footage that might spark an interesting discussion.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 08:21 AM   #18
InquisitiveA
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MSport MG 6MT

I don't see why OP is getting kicked here, from my perspective he saw a gap in traffic and accelerated onto the roundabout just as I would have done. And the other two drivers were idiots.

OP, did you beep your horn or gesticulate at the Skoda driver? If so that might explain his second stop (to annoy you back). If not, then I think you're pretty blameless.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2016, 08:36 AM   #19
workshybum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InquisitiveA
I don't see why OP is getting kicked here, from my perspective he saw a gap in traffic and accelerated onto the roundabout just as I would have done. And the other two drivers were idiots.

OP, did you beep your horn or gesticulate at the Skoda driver? If so that might explain his second stop (to annoy you back). If not, then I think you're pretty blameless.
Thanks. Anyone driving a 335d that says they don't use its acceleration to their advantage(or just for a bit of fun) is not to be trusted

I tend not to beep my horn as I find it provokes anger in people and exacerbates things. In this situation, however, I did use a short beep to alert him to my presence which prompted the 1st stop, but I can only speculate what prompted the second. In no way was the horn used aggressively, but it is always possible that this is how he interpreted it.

I don't have my dash cam set to record sound as I have a terrible singing voice
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 10:31 AM   #20
subsy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31

Quote:
Our wives were clearly separated at birth.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 10:53 AM   #21
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I think the OP did absolutely nothing wrong.
This looks like a classic case of idiot 1 queuing up for ages (by the look of the queuing traffic) thus getting impatient and trying to pull out and using the first "opportunity" onto the roundabout. I'm sure if he hadn't been queuing it may not have happened.
Look at this below, the OP is already well onto the roundabout following that Volvo, would you honestly expect the guy on the left to pull out? It looks to me they never saw you at all.
Attached Images

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2016, 10:54 AM   #22
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

As as for the 2nd fook wit.....

If it was me, I'd be tempted to send this to the local police and report KU57 NFO and KM07 DBO.

I think the OP did nothing wrong.
Attached Images

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1