THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB jack

04-09-2016, 12:41 PM   #1
delvec03
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Sport/ DSB

jack

ok so before the trolling starts I know the 100% right answer is to buy a lift point adapter. but I was wondering if anyone has used a bottle jack on their car without damage.

it seems the small Jack contact point would fit within the bmw lift point but I am unsure as if the lower surface area would cause damage to the car.

it's also way more compact than a scissor jack and would fit well in the battery compartment. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 10:20 AM   #2
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvec03 View Post
ok so before the trolling starts I know the 100% right answer is to buy a lift point adapter. but I was wondering if anyone has used a bottle jack on their car without damage.

it seems the small Jack contact point would fit within the bmw lift point but I am unsure as if the lower surface area would cause damage to the car.

it's also way more compact than a scissor jack and would fit well in the battery compartment. thanks!
I've never done it but I don't see how it could cause damage.The bottle jack's contact point isn't that much different than a scissor jack or a jack pad adapter for that matter. I think the area at and around the jacking pad is very well reinforced.I've jacked up the car next to the jack pad to get a jack stand on it without doing any damage.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #3
delvec03
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Sport/ DSB

sorry, I wasn't specific. I would like to try and use the bottle jack without the bmw jack adapter.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #4
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvec03 View Post
sorry, I wasn't specific. I would like to try and use the bottle jack without the bmw jack adapter.
On second thought,maybe I wouldn't do it that way. The jacking pad,the plastic piece sticking out of the body,fits into an opening into the body.The bottle jack would be lifting the car using the inner plastic of the jacking pad below this opening in the body.The whole outer part of the jacking pad should be used to lift the car.
How do I know about these jacking pads? I scraped the outer edge off of one of them going over a curb. Fortunately it's a BMW replacement part. It pries right out and the new one presses back in the aforementioned hole in the body.
Appreciate 0