E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Rear Tail lights - Is this right???

04-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #1
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Rear Tail lights - Is this right???

Have a question related to tail lights.

My outer light bars are on with the DRL on like this picture shows.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/izz2qcj76m...03.49.jpg?dl=0

But when my headlights are turned on, the only rear lights are the inner light bars like this shows
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mh6h4obe1h...04.11.jpg?dl=0

My tail lights don't seem to come on at all??? They would be single bulb below the outer light bars. Does anyone know what is going on here? I know the bulb is working because I can turn them on with coding (Carly) if i turn tail lights on for DRL, but I want them on when I turn the headlights on.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out

Last edited by cdgatti; 04-10-2016 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 06:13 AM   #2
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

can some one check what rear lights are on when you have your headlights on? Thanks!!!
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #3
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

No, that's not right. The 3 bars on both sections should be on for the rear DRL and when the parking lights or headlights are on.

The light bars are the tail lights. The section below the light bars are only brake lights (two bulbs per outer side).
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #4
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
No, that's not right. The 3 bars on both sections should be on for the rear DRL and when the parking lights or headlights are on.

The light bars are the tail lights. The section below the light bars are only brake lights (two bulbs per outer side).
OK thanks. I can code the inner light bars to be on as DRL as well as the outer bars. But when I turn the headlights on the outer bars turn off.

Also when i code the tail lights on for DRL one of the bulbs below the outer bars come on, so I though that was the tail lights??? Both those bulbs come on with the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 11:21 PM   #5
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Something is messed up with the coding options. That's not how it should work.

Which options did you change?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #6
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

I had the DRL customization for EU cars, changed to US cars, and now I can get both sets of light bars (inner and outer) to be on with the headlights, and I chose to have only the inside light bars on for DRL, I like it this way. I guess I don't care about the tail light bulbs below the outer light bars.

I do know that something is not right though, probably has to do with the fact that my car is pre-lci, but I have LCI halogens installed with AE. Originally the car didn't have AE. When I turn AE on as DRL, that is what turns the rear outer light bars on as DRL. I forget at the moment, but I have to turn either side markers OR corner LED on as DRL to activate the AE. Screwy, took some trial and error to finally get what I wanted.

Last edited by cdgatti; 04-10-2016 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0