THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions BMW Labs widget

04-05-2016, 10:05 AM   #1
clyjr
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

BMW Labs widget

Has anyone used the BMW labs widget? I'm trying to get it enabled in my car (2016 M235i), but it's not showing up in the split screen options. I have an IFTTT login, and connected the channel using my connected drive login.
I noticed on the labs site it says available on cars up to 10-2015 build date, I think my car was built in 12-2015, but I'm not positive.
Has anyone gotten it to work on a 2016?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 06:42 AM   #2
Monsieur_G
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyjr
Has anyone used the BMW labs widget? I'm trying to get it enabled in my car (2016 M235i), but it's not showing up in the split screen options. I have an IFTTT login, and connected the channel using my connected drive login.
I noticed on the labs site it says available on cars up to 10-2015 build date, I think my car was built in 12-2015, but I'm not positive.
Has anyone gotten it to work on a 2016?
I was trying to figure this our yesterday myself. I logged in the IFTTT but it wouldn't let me connect to the BMW Lab on their website.
Appreciate 2
      04-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
Monsieur_G
Private First Class
Rep

I got it working yesterday. I made an IFTTT account, logged in my Connected Drive account, registered my vehicle, connected to the BMW Labs, and it synced. Honestly it's not what I thought though. You can't do much on it, I'm guessing down the line there will be more widgets.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
ssimonvii
Rep
Drives: M235 Convertable

I've been using it for a while now and love it. The only thing I absolutely hate is that it needs to take up part of my screen for it to be active. Why do I need to see a list of triggers that were sent?

It actually came in handy this week. I took it into bmw because I have rattling coming from my top when driving on the freeway. After leaving it there for a full day, they called me at the end of the day and said they couldn't reproduce and needed to keep it overnight for more testing. I looked at my spreadsheet and they drove it less than a mile :-). The service advisor was shocked when I called him out on it.

Hopefully BMW allows backgrounding this app..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 07:34 AM   #5
Monsieur_G
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimonvii
I've been using it for a while now and love it. The only thing I absolutely hate is that it needs to take up part of my screen for it to be active. Why do I need to see a list of triggers that were sent?

It actually came in handy this week. I took it into bmw because I have rattling coming from my top when driving on the freeway. After leaving it there for a full day, they called me at the end of the day and said they couldn't reproduce and needed to keep it overnight for more testing. I looked at my spreadsheet and they drove it less than a mile :-). The service advisor was shocked when I called him out on it.

Hopefully BMW allows backgrounding this app..
What recipes do you use on it? The only one I tested out was "inform me of the weather the next day".
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 04:22 PM   #6
clyjr
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Still can't get it to show up in my car. I tried reconnecting the app, verifying that my car shows up in connected drive, etc...

Another question for you guys though, playing around in the car, I noticed a connected drive login option, I logged in but it didn't make a difference, also it had an option to Auto-Login but even when I check it, it says it didn't set Auto-Login... Did you guys that have it working have to put your connected drive login info in the car?

I have done some coding also, I enabled the office stuff, so I'm wondering if maybe something I did there messed up the Labs setup?
damnit this is annoying, I know it isn't a big deal and I'm not really missing much, I just want to play around with it though
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 06:35 PM   #7
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyjr
Still can't get it to show up in my car. I tried reconnecting the app, verifying that my car shows up in connected drive, etc...

Another question for you guys though, playing around in the car, I noticed a connected drive login option, I logged in but it didn't make a difference, also it had an option to Auto-Login but even when I check it, it says it didn't set Auto-Login... Did you guys that have it working have to put your connected drive login info in the car?

I have done some coding also, I enabled the office stuff, so I'm wondering if maybe something I did there messed up the Labs setup?
damnit this is annoying, I know it isn't a big deal and I'm not really missing much, I just want to play around with it though
Exactly the same boat as me. Would like to figure it out...Obviously not doing something right
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #8
ssimonvii
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur_G View Post
What recipes do you use on it? The only one I tested out was "inform me of the weather the next day".
I have the same recipe installed but don't really pay attention to it :-).

The ones I like are:

1. Email me parking location
2. Email me when car starts driving
3. Add data to spreadsheet when car starts driving

I auto archive the email options so the only way I can find it is by searching within my email.

For those having trouble, I'm not entirely sure how I got it to work (it did take some trial and error). I believe I went to the right portion of the screen to eventually login and find the IFFT widget.

If they made it so it would work in the background, it would be amazing :-).
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 07:19 PM   #9
Monsieur_G
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimonvii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur_G View Post
I have the same recipe installed but don't really pay attention to it :-).

The ones I like are:

1. Email me parking location
2. Email me when car starts driving
3. Add data to spreadsheet when car starts driving

I auto archive the email options so the only way I can find it is by searching within my email.

For those having trouble, I'm not entirely sure how I got it to work (it did take some trial and error). I believe I went to the right portion of the screen to eventually login and find the IFFT widget.

If they made it so it would work in the background, it would be amazing :-).
I'm going to have to give those a try. I'm waiting for something like read my texts, and like you said running in the background.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #10
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I got the "send text and email when switched to Park" widget working. It seems to only work when in the right split screen side of the display. When I switch the split display off or change the content to entertainment info, it won't work. Also, if I use the ignition button to turn the engine off while in Drive (which automatically switches the car to park) the messages haven't been sent. It is a good way to keep track of your car (valet, service visit, forgot where you parked your car )
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #11
ssimonvii
Rep

The Bmw labs widget has been showing no connection for the last few days. Anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #12
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
They can build a nice car, but they can't figure out the Internet....
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 12:55 AM   #13
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Resurrecting an older thread because this was one of two forum threads that came up when I did a Google search for "BMW Labs IFTTT".

I have a 2016 F82 M4 with a production date of 4/16 and I can't get the IFTTT widget to show up in my BMW Widgets. I have Clock, Weather, Digital clock with weather, and Flickr, but the IFTTT widget just isn't there.

The BMW Labs lists the following vehicle requirements:
  • BMW vehicles built between 07-2013 and 10-2015 (excl. 2015 7series)
  • Vehicle equipped with active ConnectedDrive Services (SA6AK)
  • BMW ConnectedDrive Account with mapped vehicle, register/login ConnectedDrive page
  • Vehicle equipped with Navigation Professional (SA609: NBT and NBT Evo)
  • BMW Labs Widget active in splitscreen of car’s control display Instructions

My car meets all of the requirements except the first one and the last one, and I don't even see this under BMW Widgets in iDrive. I can't believe that this would be implemented for only 2 years and three months of BMW production.

Can those you have it working, and it doesn't look like many, indicate your production date?

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #14
PDXF22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
I have a 2016 F82 M4 with a production date of 4/16 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
BMW vehicles built between 07-2013 and 10-2015 (excl. 2015 7series)
Unfortunately we really don't know what was installed / coded in during those years that only allow them to use the IFTTT widget. My 2016 F22 M235i falls just barely into those dates and I was able to activate the widget just fine.

To be honest, like others mentioned above, it's not very useful at all. The allowable recipes on IFTTT are not very interesting and the widget must be activated and running every time you get into the car for it to actually work. I was really excited to get mine set up as I use IFTTT quite a bit for my smart home products, but after 2 days I was tired of having to run the widget all the time for it to actually do anything.
Appreciate 0