E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Center Caps?

04-03-2016, 11:10 PM   #1
Hvyarms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i XDrive

Center Caps?

So I'm trying to replace some center caps on my wheels. The bore size is 73.1mm and although I've contacted the manufacturer, I can't get a straight answer re the center cap. On eBay I see 66mm, 68mm as well buuuuut...am I over thinking this? I know the bore size isn't gonna be the center cap size but idk whether to go higher or lower. Any guidance?
Attached Images

04-03-2016, 11:17 PM   #2
Black widow
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 | F30

What rims are those ?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 11:36 PM   #3
Hvyarms
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black widow
What rims are those ?
19" LS007s
      04-04-2016, 12:55 AM   #4
xyaaeg234g234
happy.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i

Pop yours out and measure them, maybe? I can't seem to find any info online regarding the size of them.

From eBay:

Quote:
Necessary Measurements for Fitting Wheel Center Caps

Properly-fitted wheel center caps are essential because if they do not fit, it is likely that dirt and grime will get into the wheel. In addition, if the wheel center caps are not perfectly snug, they run the risk of falling out, given the amount of motion that vehicle wheels experience. There are three necessary measurements to match up with the replacement wheel center cap to ensure a proper fit. To obtain these measurements, owners will first need to remove the existing wheel center cap.

Removing the Wheel Center Cap
To remove the existing cap, owners' first step will be to remove the wheel. To do so, they will need to follow the manufacturer's instructions for removing it. Typically, this includes loosening the lug nuts, raising the car with the use of a jack, and then removing the entire wheel by using a lug wrench to remove the lug nuts and then sliding the wheel off the car or truck. Once the wheel has been removed, it should be turned over to its back side. At this point, the owner can tap the old wheel center cap out of the wheel so that it can be measured.

Measuring the Wheel Center Cap
The three measurements that are needed to ensure a proper fit of wheel center caps are the inner diameter, the outer diameter, and the depth of the center cap.
  1. Inner Diameter - The inner diameter is a measurement of the distance between the two inner walls of the center cap. This should be measured straight across and recorded after being taken.
  2. Outer Diameter - The outer diameter should be measured at the base, or opening, of the center cap. The measurement should be taken between the two outer walls of the cap.
  3. Depth Measurement - To measure the depth of the wheel center cap, owners should place the tape or ruler into the wheel center cap and stop when the measuring device hits the end of the cap. This will measure the depth of the wheel center cap, and it will vary based on manufacturer as well as on customization options.
Seems like the only route to go if even the manufacturer wont give you a straight answer. GL!
      04-04-2016, 09:36 AM   #5
Hvyarms
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigymix
Pop yours out and measure them, maybe? I can't seem to find any info online regarding the size of them.

From eBay:

Quote:
Necessary Measurements for Fitting Wheel Center Caps

Properly-fitted wheel center caps are essential because if they do not fit, it is likely that dirt and grime will get into the wheel. In addition, if the wheel center caps are not perfectly snug, they run the risk of falling out, given the amount of motion that vehicle wheels experience. There are three necessary measurements to match up with the replacement wheel center cap to ensure a proper fit. To obtain these measurements, owners will first need to remove the existing wheel center cap.

Removing the Wheel Center Cap
To remove the existing cap, owners' first step will be to remove the wheel. To do so, they will need to follow the manufacturer's instructions for removing it. Typically, this includes loosening the lug nuts, raising the car with the use of a jack, and then removing the entire wheel by using a lug wrench to remove the lug nuts and then sliding the wheel off the car or truck. Once the wheel has been removed, it should be turned over to its back side. At this point, the owner can tap the old wheel center cap out of the wheel so that it can be measured.

Measuring the Wheel Center Cap
The three measurements that are needed to ensure a proper fit of wheel center caps are the inner diameter, the outer diameter, and the depth of the center cap.
  1. Inner Diameter - The inner diameter is a measurement of the distance between the two inner walls of the center cap. This should be measured straight across and recorded after being taken.
  2. Outer Diameter - The outer diameter should be measured at the base, or opening, of the center cap. The measurement should be taken between the two outer walls of the cap.
  3. Depth Measurement - To measure the depth of the wheel center cap, owners should place the tape or ruler into the wheel center cap and stop when the measuring device hits the end of the cap. This will measure the depth of the wheel center cap, and it will vary based on manufacturer as well as on customization options.
Seems like the only route to go if even the manufacturer wont give you a straight answer. GL!
Yeah I should stop being lazy
      04-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #6
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Factory bore is 72.6 and center caps are 68mm. Aftermarket rims may be completely different though, so you need to ask them.

Nice wheels BTW.
Appreciate 0