BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > BMW M2 Allocation vs Build time, Summary & Current Data

03-31-2016, 10:36 AM   #1
BurpZilla
Avid Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpine White M2 6spd

BMW M2 Allocation vs Build time, Summary & Current Data

Good day everyone!! I'm starting this thread to gain a better understanding of allocation in regards to BMW factory production time....and maybe collecting some data to help us see when the M2 will be built for those who are on an allocation list.

Let's start off with a short review of the literature/forums:

The M2 is allocated to dealerships throughout the country based on history of sales. This can be anywhere from 1-12 per dealership. It sounds like this is for the 2016 model (some forums suggesting even including early 2017) Dealers were notified of their allocations in late winter and early spring. The M2 started production in end of fall and early winter. The first production has been in the ports and awaiting delivery for mid April.

Stepping back for a sec-- allocation refers to the number of automobiles promised to the dealership from BMW Germany for the 2016 (some forums saying early 2017 also) year. People who get allocated on their invoice get a 047 status. Once the car gets set for a production date you get another number after which you can track changes on the BMW genius hotline. Waiting list are those who are waiting for an allocation spot.

Leipzig Factory. Apparently it's low volume (up to 740 vehicles of BMW 1 series, BMW 2 series, BMW M2, BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and electric vehicles) and takes more time then other factories. It's eco friendly which somehow delays production (unsure about this one)? Regardless you'll get a status when you car is ready for production and track it there after.

It should be worthwhile to track those who are allocated right now to when they get their production number and region (apparently east coast gets more deliveries?) feel free to add on any parameters you think may be worthwhile.

I'll start

Region: SW
Dealer allocation: #7 out of 7
Production status: awaiting
Delivery status: pending
Delivery port: pending
Specs: alpine white, 6spd
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 10:55 AM   #2
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurpZilla View Post
Dealers were notified of their allocations in late winter and early spring.
I do not believe that this is true, or certainly not universally true in the U.S. The dealers with which I am working in Washington state have NOT been "notified of their allocations" as of now. Instead, they have been waiting along with the rest of us for such allocations. They each got one HEA car, long since spoken for, but no allocations for customer-configured builds, for MY 2016 or 2017.

Rumor has it that in April, the trickle may start.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2016, 03:07 PM   #3
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
I do not believe that this is true, or certainly not universally true in the U.S. The dealers with which I am working in Washington state have NOT been "notified of their allocations" as of now. Instead, they have been waiting along with the rest of us for such allocations. They each got one HEA car, long since spoken for, but no allocations for customer-configured builds, for MY 2016 or 2017.

Rumor has it that in April, the trickle may start.
They were all told at the dealer zone meetings. Just as whoever is getting an M4GTS knew a while back. Your contacts just probably were not told.
      03-31-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
BurpZilla
Avid Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Regardless share your allocation spot, geography, time to production, and eventually delivery! This will definitely provide some clues as to how production is going!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 03:59 PM   #5
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
They were all told at the dealer zone meetings. Just as whoever is getting an M4GTS knew a while back. Your contacts just probably were not told.
My "contact," in one case, is the lead M salesman at the dealer. Nobody at the dealer knows, because the Regional Manager for the Region that covers that dealer has told the salesman that nobody at that dealership knows. There is a chance that the Regional Manager himself knows, although he denies it. My SA tells me he is sounding very vague and a little coy about it all.

In any event, I am not sure the analogy you suggest between the M2 and the M4GTS fits. Two entirely different cars, expected production and customers.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 06:40 PM   #6
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Where'd you get 12 as the limit? Several posted here as having up to 18.
Appreciate 2
      03-31-2016, 06:56 PM   #7
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

There's no real new info from the op post. Same speculation. I swear we've heard 20 different stories from people who claim to know a guy that was in this special meeting with Bmw na months ago. It's like a game of telephone at this point.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 11:07 PM   #8
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I believe that this information is pretty accurate. I know from speaking to the GM's of two dealerships that those dealerships (both Penske owned) were given a number of 2016's they were going to get, both of those dealers started contacting customers on their lists in late January/Early February to put down deposits and spec their cars and consider those cars to be in the order bank. I don't know if the term order bank is a Penske term or BMW term. My dealership tells me that I will get my car between August and October but I am not holding my breath. I would not be surprised if we suddenly see an increase in activity in the next couple of weeks, certainly BMW wouldn't want to build a ton of cars to sit for weeks or months waiting for the April launch. Only time will tell.

Region: West Coast
Dealer allocation: #11 of 12 (possibly 10 now because my SA said he expected one of his customers to bail)
Specs: Long Beach Blue, DCT, Exec.

Last edited by pruettfan; 03-31-2016 at 11:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 03:23 AM   #9
Arcanum-UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i on Order

It's weird to see the allocation differences between countries.

In the UK the dealers have known since December whether they are getting 2 or 3 cars (unless they are a really big dealership where they may get more) and approximately when those cars are arriving (May, August, November for my dealer).

I've had regular screenshots of the internal order system from the dealer since December with an April manufacturing date and a May delivery date. The dates have not changed and last week my order moved from 1100 (scheduled) to 1200 (scheduled for production).

Better information and customer service in the UK than the US is a rarity!

Last edited by Arcanum-UK; 04-01-2016 at 03:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2016, 07:35 AM   #10
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

You know it wouldn't surprise me if BMW decides to hold back production numbers a bit after seeing so many reviews steering potential M4 buyers towards the M2.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 07:58 AM   #11
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
You know it wouldn't surprise me if BMW decides to hold back production numbers a bit after seeing so many reviews steering potential M4 buyers towards the M2.
I really hope this isn't true. Can't speak for other M2 buyers, but I'm looking specifically at the M2 because there is no way I want an M4. I want the classic BMW...small chassis, big engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #12
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI
Quote:
I really hope this isn't true. Can't speak for other M2 buyers, but I'm looking specifically at the M2 because there is no way I want an M4. I want the classic BMW...small chassis, big engine.
Many buyers will move from M2 to M235, M3 or M4 if they cannot get an M2. There has been a poll started for " what if I can't get an m2" that shows that more than 50 percent of disappointed M2 buyers still went with another BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #13
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Many buyers will move from M2 to M235, M3 or M4 if they cannot get an M2. There has been a poll started for " what if I can't get an m2" that shows that more than 50 percent of disappointed M2 buyers still went with another BMW.
Wow...I thought about getting an M235 if I don't get the M2, but then I slapped myself, as I'd be paying nearly the same money

I'm not in such a hurry that I can't wait (though its killing me), but no way would I consider a car I had no interest for in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 10:33 AM   #14
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Wow...I thought about getting an M235 if I don't get the M2, but then I slapped myself, as I'd be paying nearly the same money

I'm not in such a hurry that I can't wait (though its killing me), but no way would I consider a car I had no interest for in the first place.
I agree. But apparently a lot of people ( and I would guess that it's about 80 percent of the buying public ) can be swayed by other factors. More doors. Need car sooner and can't wait, want to " Pay as little as possible " and therefore are primarily focused on leasing , or they simply trade cars a lot and figure " I will get one down the road ". Etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #15
Robban
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hi,

Ordered the 26th of October.
Order status: 077 - no allocation
Dealer. XX in Sweden - on of the bigger M performance centres - I am no. 1 at this dealer
No production date yet however Sales office informed that most likely production in July.
Specification: LLB, 6MT, Mperformance package
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #16
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Quote:
I dont think this would matter as the current M4 is nearing the end of its lifetime anyways. I believe a new one comes out in calendar year 2018 if i can recall the BMW timeline correctly
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 01:11 PM   #17
BurpZilla
Avid Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Regardless of the "facts" it'll be worthwhile to track the data! Thanks to those who shared their data. I'll summarize every so often..

BurpZilla
Region: SW
Dealer allocation: #7 out of 7

Pruettfan
Region: West Coast
Dealer allocation: #11 of 12 (possibly 10 now because my SA said he expected one of his customers to bail)
Specs: Long Beach Blue, DCT, Exec.

Robban
Ordered the 26th of October.
Order status: 077 - no allocation
Dealer. XX in Sweden - on of the bigger M performance centres - I am no. 1 at this dealer
No production date yet however Sales office informed that most likely production in July.
Specification: LLB, 6MT, Mperformance package
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 01:53 AM   #18
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Not a chance, they built the M2 to capture younger customers, put a significant amount in R&D, manufacturing infrastructure and marketing no chance they would hold back on manufacturing cars based on the fact people want to buy them. Based on that logic they would make one M car only because they wouldn't want the M4 to take away from the 3 or the 5 to take away from the 3 and on and on. I think it is far simpler, they haven't even launched the car in the U.S. yet so why would they pump out a ton of inventory to sit at a port? Also you don't want to meet your demand right away because if you push out cars too fast dealers end up having to discount them to sell them off which is a death sentence for a new model. Look at the I8 for the first several months people lost their minds trying to get these cars, BMW built them at a steady but not spectacular pace and eventually supply met demand and now the supply is exceeding demand and prices are dropping.
Appreciate 0