ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
blackz30
Private
Rep
Drives: NA

aftermarket head unit help.... no sound!

Hi there,

I was trying to install an aftermarket head unit to my Z4 with business CD. I bought a scosche wiring harness and was following the colour codes to put the wires together and yes I've also wired the amp turn on wire to power antenna (pin 13). However, when I turn the head unit on, I can only hear the amp turned on thru the speakers initial sound (you know those eletrical one time noise, so that i know the amp is turned on)... but then no music at all no matter how loud i turn the gain.

Can you guys help please? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Are you trying to use the stock amp to process the output of your aftermarket HU? Unless you've got the base audio system (and not many do) that will not work without providing your own amp.

The BMW amps for Premium and Carver systems only accept a digital input over the coaxial DSP cable.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post

The BMW amps for Premium and Carver systems only accept a digital input over the coaxial DSP cable.

wrong...only Carver. I have premium and aftermarket heaunit worked. and premium is analog. carver is digital
      03-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep

No, sorry dude but there are 3 systems, and its like I said. Please make sure to research these things before posting, there is entirely too much misinformation on this forum especially.

Standard audio: 6 speakers, no subwoofers, no speakers in the doors
Hifi (or, premium): 10 speakers (including 2 subwoofers)
Top Hifi (or, premium Carver): upgraded 10 speakers (including 2 Carver technology woofers)

You can have the premium package and still have the standard audio. These are separate order and build items. I have also posted pictures of the different amps in my other threads, especially in the Audio section of Bimmerforums. If you want real answers across models, ask questions there.

A good source: http://users.telenet.be/AcousticSolu...eb/carhifi.htm
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 12:42 AM   #5
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep

ok so out of the audio systems listed by you

STANDARD
PREMIUM
CARVER

STANDARD & PREMIUM is ANALOG SIGNAL and able to accept aftermarket headunit

as oppose to the CARVER, which has digital signal, won't be able to.

i put in a aftermarket headunit...IN MY PREMIUM SOUND. worked fine.

-----------------------------------------
EDIT
apparently you have asked me buncha questions when I posted this...and now you're telling ME? Obviously you're a Noob
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100702
      03-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep

OMG man, they all "accept" aftermarket HUs. Its just about how you're going to run your new signal.

Here's a better question: Do you have DSP? If so: digital. If not: analog.

-----------------------------------
In response to your self aggrandizing attack, please look at the post dates. That was less than 2 weeks after I got my car, and I did not know anything about the audio system in it at the time. I needed to get info for my install, which I did and completed here: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...6&postcount=11

Also, for your reading pleasure, with nothing but FACTS, including more info on the speakers and measurements, is my full build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=896817

Now, if you're done being an arrogant prick, accept the fact that I've posted nothing but factually correct information and move on. I'm not here to have a pissing match with some petty e-thug who only knows about their 1 use case.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep

ok i want to see someone put aftermarket headunit in a Carver system without spending more than $500.
      03-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
blackz30
Private
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSapphireZ View Post
ok so out of the audio systems listed by you

STANDARD
PREMIUM
CARVER

STANDARD & PREMIUM is ANALOG SIGNAL and able to accept aftermarket headunit

as oppose to the CARVER, which has digital signal, won't be able to.

i put in a aftermarket headunit...IN MY PREMIUM SOUND. worked fine.

-----------------------------------------
EDIT
apparently you have asked me buncha questions when I posted this...and now you're telling ME? Obviously you're a Noob
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100702

I guess what Reach was trying to say is there are Z4s that have premium audio package (10 speakers) but with a standard AMP, then it would work with aftermarket HU without adding an aftermarket amp, which is your case. However normally premium audio package came with a digital amp and require iBus (right?) signals (my case i guess)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
blade80
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M sport

i got installed after market head unit as well, i had same proble with sound. anywayz the problem was from wire harness kit that dose not fit in all they way, so you will have to use zip tie to make it fit perfectly. this will solve the problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 01:10 AM   #10
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 Coupe

same here...bestbuy installed it..said all worked but the sound...uhhh...so take it out and refund my money...bought the kenwood in-dash unit...just bought it again, and will be purchasing an amp soon...any amp recommendations...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #11
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSapphireZ View Post
ok i want to see someone put aftermarket headunit in a Carver system without spending more than $500.
you can techinically install any headunit. and it can range from any price. all you have to do is run wiring to each speaker from the new headunit (this is what i did). this is basically the very old way of putting in an aftermarket radio before they brought out wiring harnesses which made it real easy for everyone. unfortunately (as mentioned above) you cant just use the harness because of the digital signal.

but yeah, definitely doable for much less than $500

Last edited by nickpapa; 04-13-2009 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
strokeZ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 M3 6MT

Hooked up an Alpine HU last night w/ wiring harness. I have the Business CD w/ separate amp in trunk - non DSP. Worked like a charm after I hooked the 'remote on' in the right location. Next is replacing rr woofers w true subs/amp running from the sub out on the HU......point is....this can be done to some of our cars.

For my set up, the 'remote on' needed to be wired with the blue wire on the harness.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 12:58 AM   #13
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ok, i've spent a bit on some things recently and looking for the cheapest out to install this thing...i have the 10 speaker set up...so i basically just need a new amp, correct?? or do i also have to have the speaker wiring redone as well...i just want to make sure whoever installs this thinks that I know what i'm talking about...do the ohms have anything to do with it? bestbuy had told me the ohms of the speakers and the ohms of the new unit were diff and thats why the sound didn't work...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 09:18 AM   #14
strokeZ
Private First Class
Rep

If you pull your factory radio and look at the connections check if you have a fiber optic cable - if so you are out of luck and will have to run new wires, etc. Dont confuse the coax cable opposite the volume knob in the back of the unit - that is your antenna. If the harness is nothing but wires, then you can hook up an aftermarket head unit without changing the amp. Here is what was explained to me.....The BMW setup on the Z4 uses a hi level signal to feed the amp, not a line level signal as most systems use. Therefore, a simple vehicle specific harness connected to the harness of the head unit will work (mine does). This feeds the factory amp. The ohm rating on your speakers is quite funky....10 ohm on the woofers, less on the mids/highs. This does not matter as long as you wire into the factory amp (the amp has the cross overs in it and this is where the adjustments for the funky ohms occur). Note that most after market woofers are either 8 or 4 ohm, which is why people get crappy sound if they just replace the woofers becuase the factory set up is for 10 ohm. I had a head unit lying around - but add that cost to the cost of the face plate, antenna adapter and wire harness ($60 for all three) and you COULD do this with very low cost. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #15
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

thx...i hope the guys that are gonna install this get it right...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #16
strokeZ
Private First Class
Rep

try it yourself. the toughest part is removing the center vents.....
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #17
strokeZ
Private First Class
Rep

fyi.......I am using an Alpine CDA-9884 headunit - - rated 22 watts continuous power @ 8 ohms. Again, it works just fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #18
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

i think i read the '06 coupe has fiber optic with my 10 speaker setup...so having to rerun the wires is way too much for my simple mind... pretty pathetic i know...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #19
strokeZ
Private First Class
Rep

No not at all. I would not take that on myself either.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #20
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

hey guys...since i'm gonna have to get mine rewired and a new amp...would this kit work for the kvt-819dvd that I'm installing..

http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.asp...EN8104-2511KIT
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #21
strokeZ
Private First Class
Rep

check to see if it fits in your trunk w "cargo extender" in down position. I have heard from an install shop that you can fit 8" subs in the stock location behind seats (with some cutting). this would be better in my opinion. I am going to dis assemble the space and see if I can fit a small box in there that is designed for a larger woofer.

PS....at a MINIMUM go with JL audio over kenwood....again, my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #22
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

so i went to mobileone today and they said they would probably have to install a new amp which runs at least $500 and 10 new speakers since the ohms are different..

so basically, since I have the 10 speaker setup we've gathered its a premium dsp system needing a new amp and have it rewired, correct??

is it necessary to get 10 new speakers as well like mobileone states?

what wattage amp do I need?... I don't mind getting it if its mandatory, i just don't want to purchase something that isn't needed...i'd like to get the one i showed but not sure if its strong enough...i have no idea about this stuff, just what i've learned here...plus you talk to 3 diff people and get 3 diff answers when it comes to installers... thx fellas...
Appreciate 0